Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Security Cameras

Hi,
I am looking for a wireless system with a base unit inside RV connected to USB or electric outlet, with maybe 3 cameras (that record) attached to RV outside in different places, with no wires, etc. Is there such a system? What do you use? Would, of course, want it activated through motion detection and have lights triggered by movement. Thank you very much!
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are installing something very similar with motion detection, light & night, glare resistant, analog & digital, color recording but is only available to law enforcement at this time. The absorbent cost for what seems so logical is ridiculous. We searched for something in the civilian marketplace that could do everything you want but had no luck. We are having Augusta RV run cables from the cameras they are mounting to the central control hub inside the trailer. As a security nerd type, my DH will control the cameras from there. We are able to access it from the TVs or wirelessly from our smart phones. That's the extent of the wireless capabilities. I'm just wanting to let you know it does exist. If you'll send me a PM, I'll find out what my hubby found that's at least similar and available. If the unit we are putting in is available, I'll be happy to let you know.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By no wires at the camera do you mean including power? I have a Swan wireless system consisting of four cameras and base station. Base station has hard drive for recording and can be connected to router for smartphone internet access. The cameras require just power connection. Video content is sent wirelessly to base station.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recommend against what you are purposing but yes. Such a system exists... Some are even motion activated still cameras (Shot like 1 per second when motion detected)

Why would I recommend against? Lots of batteries to replace/recharge.

What do I use. Well on the rear of the RV is a back up camera.. I can easily cut into the leads and re-wire it so that it can feed my DVR or another DVR or a "Security camera controller" and from there a DVR.
I also have a "Nose" camera, this is a genuine security camera Originally of a type used on a front door to check out visitors before you open the door. It too feeds a DVR. it's my "Dash cam"

IN a box in a post office or on a postal vehicle somewhere, are two more day/night cameras (Outdoor security cameras) which will be attached to the sides of the RV.. Moving these will be "Blind Spot" cameras, but parked they too can feed a security controller.

I also have a "Bolt Camera" this is a cylinder in my case about 3/4 to 1" goes through a wall with a ring on the outside (flush mount) and a nut on the back side, the lense is flush with the wall.. It is aligned with my fuel cap so when I pull into a gas station I select it on the rear view monitor (Camera B) and when the pump is centered... I'm lined up for fueling.. NO error.. Fantastic line up aid. It too can feed a security camera controller.

What is a security camera controller?

It either gives you a multi-pain picture (Say 4 sections) each pane a different camera, or it presents the cameras round-robin 1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6 over and over for 1 or 2 seconds per camera.

This can feed any standard DVR or VCR, and may even have one included.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our cameras include Power over Ethernet and connect back to a switch with a 2 Terabyte HD to video.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have power to the coach, look at SimpliSafe | Home Security Systems

I have the system for the house and it is great
Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

I use a system made by Arlo. The cameras are battery operated and wireless. Night vision , and live feed on your smart phone. Just need power for the base unit. Cameras mount via Magnets in cameras, to a custom made factory metal dome units that you attach at any location. Look it up online and see if the system will work for your application. They come in 2, 3. & 4 plus camera systems. Just a thought from my perspective
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They make cameras in Camo finish to plant along game trails,, Some of them sound very very very close to what the O/P is looking for.. i dont' have 'em.. I did however just order a couple of day/night color cam's that are hard wired $25.00 @ Allelectronics dot com
Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I asked and we are using the Axis Companion system. It has everything you're asking for but has the POE cameras. So no batteries. The entire system with 4 cameras for about $1700. They have day and night vision meaning it will record clearly in direct sunlight. It has a 3 yr warranty. You can now buy it as an individual. If you want more info, send me a PM. Amazon does sell it online but it's not a distribution channel so the manufacturer won't support or warranty it. They are a great company to work with.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh one more thing, the cameras are about 3" x 3". The problem was finding a camera made to survive the elements that zoomed and recorded at movable angles. The cameras are black but are made to be paintable.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several questions:
1) Are there any cameras out there that are motorized -- meaning that I can adjust their field of vision with maybe a joystick? This would allow me to scan when there's a noise in the night, e.g,.

2) Are the systems that you mention viewable via cellphone -- like home security camera systems. Thus, you can check up on your RV while away from base camp.

3) Home security systems, with 8-10 day/night cameras and 1-2TB recording ability and cell phone connectivity, go for about $700-800. Why would any 2-4 camera RV system cost $1600?? Seems they should be about $400 for 4 cameras with a split screen, 1TB DVR, cell phone connectivity and even wiring.

4) Are these RV cam systems 12V or are they 110V AC based -- or are they both?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Several questions:
1) Are there any cameras out there that are motorized -- meaning that I can adjust their field of vision with maybe a joystick? This would allow me to scan when there's a noise in the night, e.g,.

2) Are the systems that you mention viewable via cellphone -- like home security camera systems. Thus, you can check up on your RV while away from base camp.

3) Home security systems, with 8-10 day/night cameras and 1-2TB recording ability and cell phone connectivity, go for about $700-800. Why would any 2-4 camera RV system cost $1600?? Seems they should be about $400 for 4 cameras with a split screen, 1TB DVR, cell phone connectivity and even wiring.

4) Are these RV cam systems 12V or are they 110V AC based -- or are they both?

Thanks.
1 - likely and spendy
2 - absolutely I have seen these at shows
3 - I hear ya
4 - I think you have all options.

Ok, so your question now is gonna be who has this beast? Ugh I don't recall the company at the show, but look in this market -- agriculture! My neighbors and many ranchers use these set ups in extremely unique and varied applications.

Watching from warm beds to out elsewhere on horseback (cellphone) as to when animals are birthing so they can get to anything from a barn, shed, garage, and even 'open land' (devices placed on posts where threats reoccur).

You may also try looking for vendors of such products who were at 'The Magie' (show name) in Great Falls, Montana spring 2017 (I'm thinking it was feb/march timeframe) it was held at the Montana Expo Park. Hope this helps.
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post

Not all cameras are created equal.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Not all cameras are created equal.
Lots of truth in that statement. I was in the security business for over 35 years and cameras and associated systems have come a long way. The question is - DO YOU WANT TO PAY THE PRICE - OR think your getting a good deal.
In the past years I only sold POE IP cameras and the DVRs always had at least 2.25 to 4 terabyte HDs. Ran everything over Cat5e and never had a problem. I never sold the customer low end because there is no value in the products.

OH! one thing more. The capture picture is never what the customer wants. Cameras are always after the fact. Security systems are active systems and if your camera system is set to communicate activity - then maybe, just maybe you will get the police there in time.

Tags
camera