RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Shout out for Bauer products

My Forest River Sierra came with the Bauer NE door lock, for those that don't know that's the dead bolt/handle lock with the programmable electronic dead bolt. From day one my lock was quirky, didn't work right, wouldn't unlock the door with the keypad, etc. Plus using the key or the inside knob the lock felt rough and catchy.

I took my rig back to the dealer for a very disappointing service trip and the lock was on the list.

They put fresh batteries in it, underlined the default code in the manual, several times I might add, didn't bother to actually put that code in themselves and declared it fixed.

I tried it and it still acted the same. I was a mechanic too long, so out came the tools. I was afraid that I was going to end up trapped in the bloody thing.

I found a gear in the little tiny transmission that actuates the lock had stripped out. I popped the opposing gear out making the lock free to act correctly.

Then I looked down at the Bauer manual and saw the 800 number. So I called.

In short the lady was very helpful. We talked about the issue, I told her that I took it apart and rigged it but I'd like it to work correctly. She shipped out a new lock assembly, I got it today and it works just as specified, better than it ever has. There's even a return shipping label in the box.

The cost to me? $0.00 All I had to do was install it which was apparently beyond what could be done at my dealer.

So I'm quite pleased with how Bauer handled this. I've got a couple of other issues and Forest River has not bothered to return my calls, maybe I'll call those manufacturers directly also.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!