Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Single WIDE Tire v/s Duel

I have been see Tractor/Trailer (18 wheeler) using a single wide tire (Super Single) as a replacement for the duels on the tractor. The footprint appears to be as wide a two duel tires. Is this something we are going to see on Class A's in the future?
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #2

I attended an RV show where this was in the discussion. One big tire and wheel is lighter than two smaller thus reducing weight, possibly increasing performance and/or fuel economy.
To replace existing tires and wheels seems like an excessive expense, however, in a new rig the factory may soon choose the single tire option.
Like most good ideas there is a downside...finding a roadside replacement if the tire is damaged.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar tested them some years ago. So far they still use the regular duals so they must have fond some reason not to use them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I attended an RV show where this was in the discussion. One big tire and wheel is lighter than two smaller thus reducing weight, possibly increasing performance and/or fuel economy.
To replace existing tires and wheels seems like an excessive expense, however, in a new rig the factory may soon choose the single tire option.
Like most good ideas there is a downside...finding a roadside replacement if the tire is damaged.
I did view a number of discussions about replacement other threads, cost, replacement availability, etc. but I was wondering if any coach manufacturer was considering the "Super Single"? I agree that at new make the cost would be less an issue.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Perhaps it's perceived public perception of how capable or durable a single wheel/tire combo is vs the proven dual system, which has been around since trucks were invented? Maybe manufacturers feel they won't be accepted. No doubt ridiculous since the trucking industry seems to be accepting them but maybe it's a harder sell to the RVing public.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #6

Those big tires were really big in the 70's, especially on the rear of TC rigs. We called them duplex. Lots of fuel trucks use them now. 10 or 12x16.5 was a common truck camper size.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I had the Michelin X1 tires installed on my Alpine about 2 ½ years ago. I have been happy with them. I lost a little over two hundred pounds of un-sprung weight off the rear axle and I have gained about 4 tenths of a mile in fuel savings. I also have a softer ride on the rear axle. So overall I am happy with the results and I glad I did make the change.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HOW ABOUT ON TRUCKS TOWING 5TH WHEELS?? i HADN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT 'WIDE' TIRES UNTIL NOW!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Don't quote me on this but I have herd that they do very well while towing on a one ton truck. But they don't handle very well when the truck is empty. No personal experience just talk with some friends that have them. Hope to here more about them as I am thinking about putting them on my one ton.
BartLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #10

Wide tread width tires have an inherent problem; even wear across the width. This is not an issue for most consistently-loaded vehicles, however on a pickup the load varies between unloaded and what you haul/tow. One would be adjusting tire pressures every time_ or accept uneven tire wear and very poor tire performance when pressure is at the other end of your needs.
Another issue for RV'ers is safety upon experiencing a flat/blowout. With duals you have a safety net when one goes flat/blowout until you can safely reach a place to have the tire repaired/replaced. Of course I've heard the argument that a steering tire doesn't have any such safety net, but what vehicle does that the public drives?
IMO, if you wish to change to super-singles on the rear do so, I decline.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
You will see a air up system on truckes that have super singles. If your tire starts to loose air the system keeps filling the tire and a light on the dash tells you. As for tha trailer there is a light on the left side of the trailer that you can see in your mirror that lets you know you have a problem.

In snow and wet weather there is a tendecy to hydroplane on dry roads your tire runs cooler, you get a better ride and better fuel milage. The super singles also wear better and no problem of miss matched tires on the same axle that will cause a hot tire.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I did view a number of discussions about replacement other threads, cost, replacement availability, etc. but I was wondering if any coach manufacturer was considering the "Super Single"? I agree that at new make the cost would be less an issue.
You must have missed my post just before yours:
Quote:
Newmar tested them some years ago. So far they still use the regular duals so they must have found some reason not to use them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #13

I think I would prefer the dually system in the event of a flat tire.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote