Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone have experience with the Smartire Monitor system? Blue Oxis listed as an installer. I have not received a response to my email about a local installer.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone have experience with the Smartire Monitor system? Blue Oxis listed as an installer. I have not received a response to my email about a local installer.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

John,while I don't have experience with the "inside the tire" mounted SmartTire system, I chose to purchase the Doran Pressure Pro system from RVUPGRADES.

The system utilizes valve stem mounted sending units that "report" to a dash mounted display screen.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What I like about the Smartire is the monitoring of temperature and the fact that the sensor can't contribute to a leak.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 AM   #5

The Smartire system uses bands around the inside of the rim. It has a transmitter and counterbalance. Installation is pretty straight forward and most any tire dealer that can work on your tires should be able to install. Just be sure that each transmitter gets placed on it's specific rim ... they are marked.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen the system on Country Coach as original equipment. I believe that Alpine Coach also uses a similar system but I'm not sure if it's the exact same system. You can check in the Alpine Coach Forum for more info on that.

I'm considering them for next time also. I've used the Doran system and didn't care for it. I now have Tire Sentry, which is an external system that I like. But, I'd like to be able to have a clean looking in-dash display that reports temps and pressures and the Tire Sentry looks to be the way to go. It's more expensive to initially set up but I think it's less trouble later on. I also believe that you can interface the SmartTire system with the TripTek computers and also the Silverleaf Electronics computer system. This would eliminate having to have a separate display module. That's the way it appeared in the Country Coach Allure I looked at.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:59 AM   #7

Cruzer,

I am looking at tire pressure monitors right now. I am curious to know what you disliked about the Doran Pressure Pro. Also, does the Tire Sentry <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Give an audible alarm for low tire?<LI>Provide a readout of actual tire pressure on each tire?[/list]Thanks.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:01 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cruzer:
I'm considering them for next time also. I've used the Doran system and didn't care for it. I now have Tire Sentry, which is an external system that I like. But, I'd like to be able to have a clean looking in-dash display that reports temps and pressures and the Tire Sentry looks to be the way to go. It's more expensive to initially set up but I think it's less trouble later on. I also believe that you can interface the SmartTire system with the TripTek computers and also the Silverleaf Electronics computer system. This would eliminate having to have a separate display module. That's the way it appeared in the Country Coach Allure I looked at. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused now....did you mean SmartTire?

If there's something out there that'll interface with the in-dash TripTek without another display,I'm interested as well.

On EDIT: from the Country Coach Allure:

SmarTireï¾® II tire monitoring system (requires travel information center)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

......I'm confused now....did you mean SmartTire?

If there's something out there that'll interface with the in-dash TripTek without another display,I'm interested as well......

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I did mean SmartTire. I guess I got too many tires rumbling around inside my head. Maybe my next tire pressure monitoring system should have a spell/grammer/context check feature added in.

Also, on the TripTek site they do show that they support the SmarTire module as an interface. Here's the Link to them.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by agkcpa:
Cruzer,

I am looking at tire pressure monitors right now. I am curious to know what you disliked about the Doran Pressure Pro. Also, does the Tire Sentry <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Give an audible alarm for low tire?<LI>Provide a readout of actual tire pressure on each tire?[/list]Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Art, I originally had the Tire Sentry on my Suncruiser but decided to trade it with the coach rather than leave a hole in the dash for the next guy and it would save m from "unfishing" the antenna wire. When I bought the Bus I figured I'd try the Doran Pressure Pro because it seemed similar to the Tire Sentry except that it displayed the pressures rather than just a warning. The Tire Sentry unit was very reliable. It mounted into a standard 2" diameter dash instrument hole, which I made with a hole saw so it looked nice and neat. The external antenna connected to the rear via a coax connection and I ran it down alongside the frame rails so that it was central between the toad and coach. The wiring then plugged into the back of the gauge for power/ignition/and ground. The gauge displayed a birds-eye representation of the tire locations and each one had a small LED that would flash at a given pressure setting as well as give an audible warning. The senders themselves were small and used an inexpensive replaceable hearing aid style battery that's supposed to last for a couple of years. The senders had adjustable settings so you could set the pressure setting to whatever you wanted and it would warn at -10% below what you set it for. The senders were very robust and compact enough to fit in between the wheel slots. So far so good.

Except, I wanted to see the pressure. I actually didn't "need" to see it because if it was low I would see the warning and that's good enough. But, I "wanted" to see it. You know, when it's a long and boring drive and you're looking for things to do and switches to fiddle with.

So I bought the Doran Pressure Pro when I got the Bus. I played with it a few weeks and then removed it and ordered another Tire Sentry. Now I realize that there are a ton of happy Doran users out there, and that's OK, but it just wasn't what I was looking for. First, the display unit was big and made to hang someplace or stick on with the suction cups. I was looking for more of an OEM look and the Doran module just wouldn't mount into the dash due to it's funky shape. Plus it was thin and all of the connections plugged into the side of the display so I couldn't hide them even if I got creative with a scroll saw and cut a whole. So I was relegated to making a custom bracket and hanging it in front of the dash and trying to hide the cables as best I could. Not a deal breaker so far, just not what I would have liked to see.

Next, the sending units were huge and very "plastic". I had to wiggle and bend on the valve stems to give them enough clearance to fit in the rims. No replaceable batteries either. You have to send them back to the factory for exchange, but I knew that going in. The biggest problem I had was that the senders have a very small "nub" in them that is supposed to depress the valve stem core enough to release the air pressure to the sending unit. That didn't always work. I had to buy a bunch of different valve stem extensions for the inner duals in order to get some that had just the right ratio of length between the valve stem core and housing. Then, each sender had to be programmed to the receiver. If you ever removed the sender it had to be reprogrammed when you put it back on and mine were getting "lost" frequently. They'd be fine when I parked and the next day they wouldn't "be there". I also found out that the Doran sensors lock onto whatever the pressure is in the tire at the time of installation. If you were to find a low tire and check it manually, when you reinstalled the sensor it would think that was the pressure you wanted and would no longer warn you unless it fell further. Plus, there's no way I could ever screw one on when the tires were hot or else it would lock onto that reading and warn me as soon as they cooled to normal temperature/pressure.

In my mind there were too many "ify" things and I just didn't like the lack of the bulletproof reliability that I had with my Tire Sentry. But still, it would be cool to see those readings so I do think that a SmartTire system is in my future. The big question is whether to use my existing TripTek interface or add a SilverLeaf VMS240 Color Display. One other advantage to the SmartTire (at least for me) is that there would be no external sensors to damage on the Jeep. As it exists now I have to take them off when offroading before the Moab rocks take them off for me. In my mind the simplest, easiest, most reliable system is the Tire Sentry but if you want the best, the SmartTire is undoubtedly the way to go, especially with a second display in the toad for standalone use.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Mark,should I expect that,armed with pdf instructions on SmartTires site,that my local "Michelin man" can mount the system?

I know of a very reputable Michelin dealer in my area, I guess I could print it out and stop by.

Your "wanting the best" comment hit home with me,as well as the Doran sensor issues....

Sounds like Smarttire is in my future as well.

Good thing I haven't opened the Doran box yet....still sitting on my work bench...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, the instructions didn't look that bad. I'm sure the "Bib" can handle the task. Anyone who can dismount the tire can install the sensors, they're not that difficult. Getting the tire off the rim takes some tools though.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #13

Mark,

Thanks for the great information. I am still in the lookinga nd learning phase regarding tire pressure monitors. I definitely see one in the near future.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Art,the way I see it is the "valve stem mounted" systems are certainly "adequate",but I personally am leaning toward the Smarttire for temp and pressure...

Safety to me is job #1.

Also like the idea of Smarttire's second monitor in the toad,something not available with the Doran/Pressure Pro system.