RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #1

I want to add toad brakes to my 2002 4Runner and 2005 Dutch Star DP. Has anyone compared the SMI and M&G systems? I'm leaning toward the M&G but see several "old timers" who use the SMI Silent Partner. I'm headed to Quartzsite next week and will pass by Henderson's in Grants Pass, OR, who I want to do the work. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

IpyandOpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #2

I want to add toad brakes to my 2002 4Runner and 2005 Dutch Star DP. Has anyone compared the SMI and M&G systems? I'm leaning toward the M&G but see several "old timers" who use the SMI Silent Partner. I'm headed to Quartzsite next week and will pass by Henderson's in Grants Pass, OR, who I want to do the work. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know Peter at SMI and I believe in his product. What you "need" is the Air Force One.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 AM   #4

I tried to send a "personal post" but don't think it "went." What is the Air Force One model? I looked at Cruzer's reply to a previous post (March 2005) where he compared his experience with a Brake Buddy, SMI Silent Partner and the S&M. He came down soiidly for the S&M and seemed to have good reasons. Maybe the AF1 would fare better. I really appreciate you guys (moderators) and your sharing experinces with us novices! I'll check out the SMI web page.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:07 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I have the M&G on my 02 Jeep Wrangler and it works great. But it was a pain to install since the puck needs to fit between the booster and the master cylinder. This required me to move a number of components to make room which was not easy. I did notice that the brake pedal felt a little stiffer after the unit was installed. I never did install their break away system. The other downside is that it cannot be moved to a new toad since it is model specific, but they will take it back and give you a credit towards a different model.

Since I have changed toads I am actually going to install The Air Force One braking system in a month or so on my Jeep Liberty. I like the fact that it has a system to protect the motorhomes air brakes in case a air line ruptures. The same unit can be used on any vehicle and it looks like it might be a easier install.

Bill
Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IpyandOpa:
I tried to send a "personal post" but don't think it "went." What is the Air Force One model? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>IpyandOpa,
Thanks for your PM this morning. If you would like to read more about

Air Force One

Please click on the image.

You can also write to Peter at info@smibrake.com. Tell him you saw this link on iRV2.com. Thank you.

SMI Brake will be participating at the SE FMCA Rally in Brooksville, FL begining February 7th.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto the SMI Air Force One!!!

It worked perfectly right out of the box. Never felt more comfortable when slowing 38K+ pounds, panic or otherwise.

And it's available thru RVUpgrades. Don't get no better'n that.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I know Peter at SMI and I believe in his product. What you "need" is the Air Force One. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DriVer, Thanks for your advice! I am now the proud owner of an Air Force One - installed at Quartzsite by Henderson Line Up. Great, great product!! Plus, I found that the M&G won't even fit on my 4Runner - plus, with the AF1 I can switch to another toad with little problem.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IpyandOpa:
Thanks for your advice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You're welcome.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I, too, wanted the AF-1, but did not want to try to defend myself on why the MH brakes failed and I had cut into their system to install this brake. I know Spartan makes a check valve unit specifically for this, but it was costing another $3-4oo. I ended up with the US Gear brake and love it!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slabman:
I, too, wanted the AF-1, but did not want to try to defend myself on why the MH brakes failed and I had cut into their system to install this brake. I know Spartan makes a check valve unit specifically for this, but it was costing another $3-4oo. I ended up with the US Gear brake and love it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Another $3-400?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan will sell you another, redundant check valve for something in that range. Goes between the air take-off at rear axle and he incoming line from the toad brake. If you don't put it on, I would imagine you'd be defenseless in the event of brake air loss.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Some times my attempts a humor elude people. Better stick to my day job.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #14

I have spent the past 2 days trying to decide on a tow brake for a Fleetwwod LE with Spartan Chassis and a Saturn. Camping world would not install the Brakemaster because of the intrusion of the airline on the spartan.
i contacted Spartan and they said I needed the additional part for $420 plus whatever it would cost to put on the unit to be able to add any air type tow brake.
I have not finally decided on whether to risk purchasing any item that would require the air line intrusion, even though Roadmaster in Oregan has assured me they have done it plenty of times.

satchel is offline   Reply With Quote