Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Thin-Lite LED 742P & 746P lights

I installed the 742P in the kitchen and 2-746P's in the dinette area. We use these area's a lot, the regular light tubes would start to dim after 3-4 months. The lights are full dimming to suite your liking, and provide the same light level at GE Daylight Tubes. While these replacements might be more expensive, it's a no-fuss installation, remove the old unit, splice the wires, reinstall the fixture. (Word of caution, check the wire colors, the colors are the opposite of the old tube fixtures)

I'm a happy camper.

I purchased the fixtures from John Drake: 19 A - Thin-Lite LED lighting .

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the evaluation post. John Drake is a great guy. I purchased two hard-to-find "Thin Lite" patio lights from him a few years back. He also stocks replacement lenses for most of his lights.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the 742p from John Drake $65 plus ship and handling

Very simple just reverse colors. Mine was white to black and red to black

Finally a really bright light. And the switch is also a dimmer so set it where you want and it remembers .......so what can go wrong?

You can save a little with conversion kits but that shows the old wires through the cover. With this you are done in 15 minutes and it's beautiful.

Sam
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thin-Lite LED 742P & 746P lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samflhomes View Post
...Very simple just reverse colors. Mine was white to black and red to black
You can save a little with conversion kits but that shows the old wires through the cover. With this you are done in 15 minutes and it's beautiful.

I had a heck of a time with the wiring, I fiddled with it for almost an hour. I was worried that I connected it wrong and possibly ruined the LEDs. I finally called John and he told me to reverse the wiring. He told me the LEDs are protected against reversed polarity. I told him he should include the wiring instructions with the light as it would've saved me time and frustration.

I agree with you on replacing the light versus the conversion kit. As you mentioned, the replacement fixture is dimmable and cleaner looking.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Highly recommended this LED light to replace existing. I installed a second one today.
Easy job and double the light. Plus it can be dimmed to any level and remembers that setting
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights