Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #29

I replaced my Goodyear's with Firestone 560's a month ago and have logged about 800 miles. They have a better ride than the Goodyear's even though I'm running 10 more pounds(100) air pressure but on the down side they also feel loose, feels like the tires are low on pressure.

The coach is getting an alignment tomorrow so that could be part of the problem with the loose feel, I'll let you all know how it handles after alignment. The old front tires had a "tow in" ware on the passenger sided and a "tow out" on the driver side after 34K.

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #30

Any feeddback from those of you running the Firestones? I see one person with 560 and another with the 591.

Thoughts anyone before I take the plunge?
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #31

I purchased a set FS560 PLUS tires for the back on my MH in December. They have a good ride and are quiet. Mine are 19.5 tires. Have looked at the Firestone DATA sheet for their truck tires.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:27 AM   #32

I bought the 560 PLUS last summer as posted above. They feel loose to me, even after alignment.

I do some work for a large trucking company and they tell me that it takes 1,000 miles to bake in new tires. I drove it 4,000 miles this winter an it did seem to get better or maybe I just got use to the way they handle. I dropped the pressure down to 95psi an I think that helped. I have never weighed my coach so that could play in the problem I'm having. The tread does appear to be sitting flat on the road. These are 22.5 on a 33' pusher, I don't think I'm close to the max weight limit for these tires.

Having said all that, I don't think I'd be buying these tires again.

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:14 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not do any of your options that do not include replacing all tires. A blow out is not just about the hassle of replacing the tire, it's safety and avoiding also body and mechanical systems damage that a blown tire can inflict.

Adding a TPMS is a great idea, not only for safety but also for the convenience of checking tire pressure on preflight from your easy chair.

Myself, I am on my third set of purchased michelin XRV. No problems whatsoever with any of them. Last purchased through the FMCA michelin program. This also gets you installation by an authorized michelin truck tire dealer. In my case a local most professional outfit with excellent service.

Peace of mind from having good tires, that you know how they have been maintained, and monitored with a TPMS, is a very good thing IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #34

Would you use nitrogen fill. Bruceb17
bruceb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #35

22.5 Sampson tires - where can I buy in MN?

275 80r 22.5 10 yrs old and cracked. Does anyone know where they sell these tires in St. Paul area?
Thanks! Roger
rogerbarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #36

I ended up getting 6 new Firestone FS-591 tires installed and could not be happier. They handle at least as good as the original Michelins and were a lot less expensive. I got G load range because original was G and I am in a 36' Phaeton and I am far from 32000 lbs so I don't need the H rated tires. I am running 105 psi which is still above the pressure chart based on axle weights. I can't get position weights yet so I am using axle only and adding a safety margin.

These tires handle great, ride great and they were made right up the road from me in Warren county Tennessee so at least the money stays here in the states. They were ordered for me so I got fresh off the line with date codes of 13 week 2015.

If you are considering something other than Michelin I would not hesitate to suggest Bridgestone/Firestone which are the same company.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
After I retired from the Navy, I went Trucking. So happens that the company that I pulled for was running a multi-year test on tires, and ran tires from the most expensive to the least expensive.

The results were a little startling to most of us as there were, in the long run, no difference to little difference in maintenance costs (many areas tracked).

Now that I am fully retired from WORK, and full timing it in my RV, I have been running what many, if not most people would never consider using, and usually run around $300.00 per.

I'm currently using a tire by the name of Double Coin, with their steer tire all around. I got them at Les Schwab.

In my opinion, the more expensive tires may make a person "FEEL" better, but they are no more safe because of the emotional vs practical decision.

All IMHO, and I realize that my opinion is worth exactly what was paid for it!

Ed
I read good reviews of Double Coin tires on a trucker forum and I also went with this brand from Les Schwab. They perform as good as any brand I have tried. Like Schwab says "if we can't guarantee it we won't sell it." They advertise heavily and have a reputation to protect and would not likely sell a trouble prone tire. I removed the tires from my mh and drove them to the dealer for mounting, for which they agreed to discount $100.00 off the installation fee. I like to do maintenance at tire change time anyway.
Additionally I never feel safe in a mh no matter what brand tire it is riding on.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #38

Hi, neighbor:

We got a new set of six Toyos (Schwab's top-line brand, I think) for our Georgetown when we bought it 5 years ago. They were for 19.5" rims, smaller than your DP will need, but a set of six, with new SS valve stems and dynamic balancing were just under $2400.

Without me mentioning it, the shop manager searched the warehouse database and found 6 tires that were only 6 weeks old.

We've used Schwab's since we came back to the NW from VA in '74 and always had good service. When we lived in Everett and had a leased Honda Accord, the lease terms required the same brand of tires on all wheels. After vandalism in the parking garage at work required replacement of one tire, the Schwab store there went out and got a matching tire from another dealer and installed it.

Never had a bad deal from them in over 40 years, and the guys at the store on Commercial Avenue do a good job with tires.

Frank (just up the street)
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr08Bill View Post
I went with Firestones -- less $$ than the FMCA program
Not happy with the cracking on my Michelins --

Bill
I guess that is the mystery for me. I hear about Michelin's cracking all over this forum and that they are usually one of the most expensive tires out there. Why do people think these tires are so wonderful if they continue to show a propensity for this kind of behaviour? It seems to be more an issue of name brand recognition rather than any actual merit of the tire. Is there something else about them that makes them so superior to other brands that people are willing to pay more and run the cracking risk?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #40

Vanguard Tires

Wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with Vanguard tires? We are looking to replace our current Kendal Radial LT235/85 R16 tires. We've been quoted Goodyear @ $334 each or we can get a set of 4 Vanguards, G rated, 14 ply for $800.00. Can't seem to find any reviews for the Vanguard and don't want to buy poor tires. Tire shops said sell these to construction companies that haul bobcats and other heavy machinery. Thanks for any advice!
barbdwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Hi, neighbor:

We got a new set of six Toyos (Schwab's top-line brand, I think) for our Georgetown when we bought it 5 years ago. They were for 19.5" rims, smaller than your DP will need, but a set of six, with new SS valve stems and dynamic balancing were just under $2400.

Frank (just up the street)
Ah good ol' Anacortes, such a beautiful area of our state, lucky you Frank. When I discussed tires with the Les Schwab salesman and told him that I tend to get off the highway and venture down gravel or rocky roads at times, he recommended the Double Coin for my Bounder. He stated that the tread was tougher on the DCs vs the better riding qualities of the Toyos. In most cases the Toyos would be the best choice at Schwab, for those that don't abuse their tires and carry a pry bar and block to remove rocks from between the duels, like I do. There are a lot of nice logging roads out your way, I can testify to that. By the way, I do run Toyos on my F150. I like the ride better than the factory installed Goodyears and they wear well. Another plus is that yummy free popcorn at Les Schwab.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:45 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Front Tires Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr08Bill View Post
I went with Firestones -- less $$ than the FMCA program
Not happy with the cracking on my Michelins --

Bill
I just replaced the steering tires on my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 35 with Firestones. $289/each at Callahan Tire in West Palm Beach. I initially went in for a frontend alignment and after careful inspection, I noticed some cracking on the sidewalls and in between the treads. The salesman and I looked at the DOT Serial No and they were made in 2002. It was time for replacement.

We're headed out for a short weekend trip...I'll report back about the ride and handling when we return. Universal Studios Orlando bound.
South Florida https://knotatsea.blogspot.com
brenthg is offline   Reply With Quote