Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #15

If you advertise it someone will buy it.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
This subject has been discussed on here quite a bit over the years, seems to be just a RV thing, have not seen one post where someone has said that they "pad" their auto tires also........ We have had tires on autos and heavy equipment sitting on cement for decades without any ill results. To each their own.......
That's what I thought. I mean, these things are made to withstand huge pressures while hauling a house at highway speeds in hot or wet roads. I would think that they would be happy to sit in a cement pad to rest.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
That's what I thought. I mean, these things are made to withstand huge pressures while hauling a house at highway speeds in hot or wet roads. I would think that they would be happy to sit in a cement pad to rest.
Don't go by just what I have said, others have posted info. from tire manufactures that state to do put something under them when in storage.......and "if you don't" and have problems.........those notes from the manufacture's are just to cover them and their product when things go wrong......
Old 02-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I have yet to try these. Do they slide around on smooth concrete as you drive off and on? Everything wood I have tried does
The only time my stall mat pads move on slick smooth concrete is if I turn the front wheels while on the pads. For those who wonder about using them, many car collectors use something under the tires on stored cars.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I think the reason is the lime in the concrete can Suck much needed oils out of the rubber thus allowing moisture to penatrate the rubber.
I use plastic sleighs used by kids for tobogganing.
RoscoeAndTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
The only time my stall mat pads move on slick smooth concrete is if I turn the front wheels while on the pads. For those who wonder about using them, many car collectors use something under the tires on stored cars.
I lived overseas for many years and always kept a car in storage stateside. Never used pads. However, I did store them with wheels off the ground because it would sit for years at a time. I did that to avoid flat spots. I can buy the "flat spot" theory because I've experienced it. Had it happen on a car once where I left it in storage flat on the ground for two years in Houston's hot and humid weather. Had to toss the tires because no amount of weights would balance the tires.

Not sure what folks that full-time for years in the same spot do. Maybe big truck tires are different than car tires and do not suffer from flat spots.

I still haven't found good proof that it's not okay to leave them on concrete.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
al2ride
!

IMO, we RVers are a "paranoid breed"!
We all do many things to our rigs that we believe are necessary... just in case.
Although we can't prove that spending the extra time and money actually accomplished anything.... it makes us feel better.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We got the horse stall mat and cut it up. Not to necessarily put them under the tires but to put them under the jacks and to be able to lay them out to then be able to crawl under the RV if needed (which we have needed to do) or keep the patio carpet/mat from flying away in the winds out here or any number of things we have used them for.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We got the horse stall mat and cut it up. Not to necessarily put them under the tires but to put them under the jacks and to be able to lay them out to then be able to crawl under the RV if needed (which we have needed to do) or keep the patio carpet/mat from flying away in the winds out here or any number of things we have used them for.
True stall mats are HEAVY.
That being said we are sitting on cut up stall mats.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went to Tractor Supply, $24 gets you a 3X4 3/4 thick piece of solid rubber stall mat. When cut, it's enough for tag axle coach, won't blow away in the wind when trying to set up. Michelin tire rep claims bare concrete will draw out the natural oils in the tire ???? Just another caution that doesn't cost a lot.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
Is anyone using a pad of some sort to put under your tires when on concrete for long periods of time. I've seen plastic, rubber mats ? What are you using and where did you get them. Thanks in advance
My unit sits outside on my asphalt driveway here in the south. I simply place treated plywood under the tires to a) keep the tires from sinking into the warm asphalt, and b) to keep the tires off the asphalt. Yes I know you asked about concrete, but thought I put my 2 cents in anyway.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #26

I picked up a few free tractor trailer mud flaps from the roadside and they are perfect. I use whole ones under the tires when I have to park on grass and I cut one in fourths to use under each leveling jack. They are very much like the ones you pay for, but free!
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enconcapt View Post
I picked up a few free tractor trailer mud flaps from the roadside and they are perfect. I use whole ones under the tires when I have to park on grass and I cut one in fourths to use under each leveling jack. They are very much like the ones you pay for, but free!
Great repurpose of resources!!!!!!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I bought my mats made out of recycled tires at home depot. Used them when parked over the winter on concrete pad at house, also when parked on gravel pad at park where we stay in summer. They are holding up well. Don't know if it helped, but didn't hurt. Also kept the tires covered.
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote