Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Product Evaluations
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Tired of the Day-Night Blinds

My wife (therefor, me too) is tired of the Day-Night blinds that we have in our Coach. Have any of you replaced them in your RV ? If so, what did you choose?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #2

MCD, factory installed. Love them like crazy!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Another option is Cellular shades, like Levolor. We installed single cell shades at home and were surprised at the added heat/cold control, in addition to filtered light. Google will give you several sources.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Our Itasca came with MCD shades. Very nice.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

Location: Constantly changing - Just finished 6 months in S America. Now 6 months in USA/Can, then back to S A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdocter7 View Post
MCD, factory installed. Love them like crazy!
How do they differ from Night-day blinds?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
RVM2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Took this picture of one of my windows valance with Day Shade down and Night Shade partially down. The night shade color is in between the colors of the valance and my sofa material. We like the complimentary look. The day shade let's light in - but from outside Annie could not see me waving at her from 3 feet or so away. They also keep the heat down.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-732033991.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	690.4 KB
ID:	34765

They are very nice relative to accordion - string strung day / night shades.
Steve and Annie

Edit: this is parked under covered storage with a HR parked next to us. Around 11 am.
Plano, Tx (FullTime ETA Nov 1st 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

Location: Constantly changing - Just finished 6 months in S America. Now 6 months in USA/Can, then back to S A
Ah, OK, so they are sort of like a double roller blind - one with day material and one with night.

I have the accordion type and while they do the job very well, I have had one fail with a broken cord - which luckily broke in a repairable position - so if I get any more failures, they might end up in the nearest dumpster and be replaced with something else
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
How do they differ from Night-day blinds?
Most folks refer to accordion shades as day/night blinds. Based on the model/yr of the RV in the OP's post, I'd assume that's what they have.

We've replaced all our accordion shades as well as the cockpit pull-curtains with MCD shades. LOVE THEM! You can get the Gold Series Duos for about 1/4-1/3 less than their Original Duo's. That's a good savings.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & Jeep Liberty Limited, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
RVM13---FULLY MUTATED

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm going to remove all the ugly valances and day nite blinds, and replace them with wood shutters
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
My wife (therefor, me too) is tired of the Day-Night blinds that we have in our Coach. Have any of you replaced them in your RV ? If so, what did you choose?
I bought Levelor shades from Home Depot and put them in.the hard part is getting the valance back up but the DW loves them so That means I do too.
Bart Anderson
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
MCD. in my opinion they are the only choice. we put them in the last two coaches and love them! jim
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

Had MCD installed back in November. Love them.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
MCD is by far the BEST in the RV shade business.

However, I don't know why so many people are having trouble with their Day/Night Shades. My 2002 Monaco Windsor came with Day/Night shades on most of the windows except for the very small kitchen and bathroom windows where they had installed metal blinds which were hard to keep clean. I have yet to have any problems except for the little plastic wheels where the string gets tied to has cracked or broken on some of them. Easy to replace. No strings have broken, shade panels have not been torn, nothing. This coach has been lived in 24/7 since December 2003 and the shades get used everyday. Maybe mine are a different brand or quality but I have not had similar problems.

I recently replaced the bathroom metal blind for a Day/Night shade just this week. Got it from Northwest RV Supply for $35. The kitchen one will be replaced with a Bali or Levelor Cellular Shade soon. I just have to order it from Lowe's.

A friend of mine had all of his shades and blinds removed and had MCD electric shades installed. Cost him $8,000. For that price I will keep using my manual Day/Night shades.

BUT I do understand the meaning of, "when the wife is happy, I am happy". Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
MCD is by far the BEST in the RV shade business.

However, I don't know why so many people are having trouble with their Day/Night Shades.

A friend of mine had all of his shades and blinds removed and had MCD electric shades installed. Cost him $8,000. For that price I will keep using my manual Day/Night shades.
Wow....for that kinda dough my day/night shades won 't be going anywhere, anytime....soon!

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote