Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Tireminder

Nothing on search for this...Will be buying a Tireminder system. Don’t know if I really want the one that uses my phone as the display. Thinking I’d rather have the previous or other version that has its own display unit.. any opinions?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

In my opinion, a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) is a mandatory item. They're all pretty much the same in operation the difference being in how attractive they appear. Some have color monitors others are black and white LCD images. I have a
TST 507 system and most recently utilizing 2 existing screw holes in the dash, fabricated a bracket that holds the monitor right to the dashboard. I also used their 'hard wire' and it turns on and off with the ignition. (the other option is to use a cigarette lighter outlet) Previously I used their suction cup mount but the monitor was always falling off the window.

My recommendation is "DON'T" purchase the 'pass through' sensors. They work OK but it takes a day and a half to add 1 or 2 pounds of air. I use the screw on sensors on all 8 tires plus 4 more for either my GMC Terrain or 20' enclosed trailer. Programming the sensors can at first seem difficult but if you run into a problem, TST will talk you through the process.
Since I tow a car and a trailer, I found it more convenient to purchase another monitor. One monitor is programmed for the coach plus the car and the other programmed for the coach and trailer. (car tires and trailer tires are very different in their PSI. 35 for the car and 80 psi for the trailer) When I switch between the car and trailer, I just switch monitors.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

I have had the tireminder system for 6 or 7 years and love it. I have the original sensors. It's no problem to remove the senors and check the tire pressure with guage. Make sure you use the repeater.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

And ask if you can change the sensor batteries or do they need to be sent back....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #5

Agree on avoiding pass through sensors...prefer its own display NOT cell phone...make sure you can change batteries. Several good brands out there....JUST BUY ONE!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Thanks.. anyone use the TireMinder Smart unit which uses your phone as a display?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

We use the EEZTire monitoring system, and it works well. I didn't buy the range extender and don't need it. I can pick the sensors up on our car when it's parked in our garage 75 feet away. I can even see them if my wife's just following me down the highway -- not being towed. But rear engines with lots of stuff to interfere may not be so lucky.

They use an easily acquired battery and are easy to change. I changed them all last week just because they're a year old, and it took maybe 15 minutes.

And we didn't get the pass through.

EEZTire comes with its own monitor, which is easy to read.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

I have used the smart tire minder for two years and really like it. I didn’t want to mount a monitor, so it was the way to go. I had a tire to blow out on the Jeep and it saved the rim by letting me know right away. The Bluetooth transmitter has a loud beep if something is wrong and the cellphone shows what is wrong. It is probably the easiest to program the tire sensors of any out there.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

I have the smart phone version and love it...haven’t had a single issue...in fact I had range issues with the original one then got the smart phone one which has the booster and the main receiver and then you get the Bluetooth range as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
Thanks.. anyone use the TireMinder Smart unit which uses your phone as a display?
Yes i use it and like it. The receiver unit will alarm if theres an issue even if you forget and dont have the Bluetooth connection and app open. I didn’t want a dedicated display and this works great. Ive only had to charge the receiver 1 time since ive owned it.

Be aware if the sensor battery voltage gets low below 3v it will alarm and show 0psi and 32degf for that tire on the display. This is the only thing i dont like but if it happens i know its just a sensor battery. IMO it should alarm saying low battery. I called and told them about 6 months ago, so far its still the same.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #11

TPMS is a great tool to have. Would not run without one.

I have a dedicated display. The battery in the display is kept charged by solar, and is always there. It will also beep and flash if there is a problem with a tire.

I chose not to use one where my phone doubled as the monitor for ease of use/always on reasons. The display is affixed to the upper left of my windshield, but does not obstruct any needed view.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 PM   #12

Appreciate all the feedback
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #13

I have the TireMinder Smart TPMS system also and love it. I didn't want a dedicated display to clutter up the dash of the truck. Once it's on and operating, you can put the phone to sleep if you like and just let it do it's thing. The unit that goes inside the truck cab (mine is on the back window of the truck) will alert you if there is an issue, plus it will push a notification to your phone....even if it's asleep.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 AM   #14

We have the TireMinder TM77 with the Rhino signal booster and it's been a great setup.