Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Toad protector

Today while driving on south I-95 a saw a coach going north that caught my eye. It had a protyector on the toad that looked like a blanket of some kind going from the bumper over the hood and up covering the windshield. I only got a secod or two glimpse and have never seen one like this. Didn't appear to be flapping.

Anyone know anything about what it is?
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Exclamation

https://www.rvandoffroad.com/shop?ol...olsFocus=false

if you'd like to spend $400 for one... maybe I'll make my own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car cover shield.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	155689  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
https://www.rvandoffroad.com/shop?ol...olsFocus=false

if you'd like to spend $400 for one... maybe I'll make my own.
The one i saw looked like it didn't go over the fenders. Maybe they made their own.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Some people have them & think they're great. We bought one for our previous toad (Jeep). Used it once. It was more hassle than it was worth. Never used it again. Boxed it up & it's in the S&B basement. It'll go when we downsize & get ready to sell the house.

The first time we put it on, & mind you, we bought the cover to fit a 2006 Jeep Liberty, it had tabs to wrap inside the wheel wells to keep is secure. The wheel wells on our Jeep were enclosed so there was nowhere to bend the tabs around to. Besides, thinking ahead, eventually the continued bending/unbending of those tabs they'd break from fatigue. Then it rained on our trip so all the road grime ended up on the cover & where to put that dirty thing when we took it off once we arrived at our destination. I did put it in a bay, but I wasn't happy with a wet/dirty cover in there. The campground had dusty roads so we would've had to wash off the front of the Jeep before putting the cover on, when we were ready to leave, so that the cover wouldn't scratch the finish.

I figured, it's a Jeep...it's supposed to get dirty. All we have is the rock guard on the back of the coach. That's enough for me.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Some people have them & think they're great. We bought one for our previous toad (Jeep). Used it once. It was more hassle than it was worth. Never used it again. Boxed it up & it's in the S&B basement. It'll go when we downsize & get ready to sell the house.

The first time we put it on, & mind you, we bought the cover to fit a 2006 Jeep Liberty, it had tabs to wrap inside the wheel wells to keep is secure. The wheel wells on our Jeep were enclosed so there was nowhere to bend the tabs around to. Besides, thinking ahead, eventually the continued bending/unbending of those tabs they'd break from fatigue. Then it rained on our trip so all the road grime ended up on the cover & where to put that dirty thing when we took it off once we arrived at our destination. I did put it in a bay, but I wasn't happy with a wet/dirty cover in there. The campground had dusty roads so we would've had to wash off the front of the Jeep before putting the cover on, when we were ready to leave, so that the cover wouldn't scratch the finish.

I figured, it's a Jeep...it's supposed to get dirty. All we have is the rock guard on the back of the coach. That's enough for me.

Lori-
I agree. I've traveled with others using this cover and watched the performance. More trouble than it's worth and if you don't keep it clean, you're in for some scuffed paint.
I've tried them all (except this one) and found by removing the rear flap I don't need to use any protector of any sort. The rear flap is the root of all evil.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I used to use "bras" on older sports cars and found the flapping/fit issue a PITA for paint finish. I think the same for this style of TOAD protection.

I currently have the Blue Ox shield that attaches to the tow bar, but am thinking of moving to the under tow bar net. Protect-a-Tow link.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I used to use "bras" on older sports cars and found the flapping/fit issue a PITA for paint finish. I think the same for this style of TOAD protection.

I currently have the Blue Ox shield that attaches to the tow bar, but am thinking of moving to the under tow bar net. Protect-a-Tow link.

Brian
I have used both devices. [Mod Edit] Removing the rear flap was the ultimate fix.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just get a "Protect-A-Tow" mesh shield and your worries are over!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rear flap

Dennis 45,
By removing the rear flap do you mean the stone guard on the MotorHome?
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsod48 View Post
Dennis 45,
By removing the rear flap do you mean the stone guard on the MotorHome?
Yes, the full width flap at the rear. You do however still require the flaps behind the rear duals. These should be set so they just clear when the air bags are down.
There is a lot of discussion on this subject on this forum. Anyone who has operated without the rear flap will tell you they no longer require protection devices of any sort. The toad and rear of the coach will also stay cleaner.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The swinging "Ad Flap" was removed and a Ultra Guard was installed right on the rear, and I cut it down so my Protect-A- Tow would seal that area right off when installed.........see post #2 here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/is-a-...ed-219649.html for a photo
Works very well for me........also keeps the rear camera from getting water on it when driving in the rain.....

Tags
toad