Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #15

Back in the fifties and sixties, folks used to have oversized dice for valve caps.....on rubber valve stems.....the non flow thru type are lighter if you remove the anti theft shell....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Back in the fifties and sixties, folks used to have oversized dice for valve caps.....on rubber valve stems.....
True but everything on those cars was solidly built. Today companies shave things to the minimum they can to cut costs and boost profits.

Think about what happened when certain absorption refrigerator manufacturers decided to reduce the wall thickness of the tubing. They worked for a while and then it was fire after fire as they aged.

We read a lot about blowouts, particularly front tire blowouts, causing massive and sometimes fatal accidents yet we willingly accept the risk of a piece of thin flexing rubber, something that is very close to road debris and rocks, failing and causing a rapid loss of air. Everything works well until it doesn't.

Given the choice of no TPMS versus a TPMS on flexible valve stems I'd go with the TPMS every time. The associated risks of an underinflated tire or an undetected flat tire on a dual pair is higher than a valve stem failure to me.

But I'd still do what I can to reduce the valve stem risk somehow. Brace the valve stem somehow, whatever.

Kudos to the original poster for proactively taking steps to improve their safety and that of the people around them.

Ray
Old 08-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
When I setup the Jeep the valve stems were rubber with the chrome sleeves. One trip with the TPMS sensors and I was convinced those had to go. Had marks on every wheel where the TPMS sensors were constantly flexing and banging against the wheels. Had short metal stems installed, no worries now.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
When I first put them on my car trailer it had rubber stems. After my first trip, when I got back I noticed the paint on the rims was gone where the sensors had been hitting. I replaced with metal stems before the next trip.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
NXR

So today I decided to add 5 psi to each tire since the temps here are dropping. Below are some pictures of the TPMS sensor on the inner duals with a metal valve extension.

Interestingly, the driver's side one seems to be accumulating dirt around the TPMS sensor on the rim but nowhere else.

The passenger side TPMS sensor has developed a flat spot from hitting the rim. Both sensors are very close to the rim because of how the solid metal extension is positioned, maybe 1/4" or less to the rim.

The TPMS sensors have been in place for only 400 miles. These are the new TST 507 sensors, the ones that no longer have the spinning anti-theft cap and that also have a user-replaceable battery. They weigh 0.6 ounces each.

I'm thinking of adding a small glob of RTV to the gap between the valve stem extension and where it comes through the outside tire. That should give it some more stability.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left-Inner-Dual-TPMS-Abrasion.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	891.0 KB
ID:	257862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left-Inner-Dual-TPMS-Hitting-Rim.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	917.2 KB
ID:	257863  

Name:	RightInnerDualAbrasionAndDirt.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	257864  
Old 08-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
TPMS: How important are metal valve stems?

I think you need the rubber stabilizers that keep the stem centered in the hole.
When I added them to my inner dualies the kit came with them.
https://www.shinyrv.com/product-cate...y-valve-stems/
Old 08-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I think you need the rubber stabilizers that keep the stem centered in the hole.
When I added them to my inner dualies the kit came with them.
https://www.shinyrv.com/product-cate...y-valve-stems/
I looked for them but got lost trying to figure out what I needed. I mean, what the heck is a "hand hole" in a tire wheel? They are Alcoa 22.5" wheels on a 2019 F53 chassis.

Ray
Old 08-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had my TST sensors on rubber valve stems on my Jeep and MH for some time now, no issues...but I might look at some prevention.

After reading this, I think I'm going to cut a few pieces black rubber hose that I can support the sensor and stem to keep it from vibrating or rubbing on anything.

I did make a more fatal mistake with the sensors, I screwed them on super tight...don't do it!!!! It bent the pin in the valve stem insert so it no longer sealed when I took the sensor off. Had to have the valve stem inserts replaced, luckily the service manager at Silver Lake Auto and Tire in Oconomowoc did the job - no charge...awesome customer service.

rm
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #23
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
When I had rubber stems, I had 2 fail at -30f. These were on my toad. Since going to metal stems - no problems.
The rubber stems were cracked where they "rubbed" against the rims.. GO METAL BEFORE YOU NEEDF TO!!!!
Old 09-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #24

I run metal stems on all my vehicles whether using tpms sensors or not. Several years back I was riding with a group of motorcycles. We stopped for lunch after a high speed run (west of the Pecos in Texas) and after lunch found one of the BMW's had a flat tire. His rubber valve stem had cracked and failed. It could have been fatal if it had let go earlier. Metal stems are cheap insurance.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
I have rubber valve stems and my TPMS has been trouble free for over 35,000 miles.
Which TPMS system did you get? I have rubber stems, so I’m looking for a TPMS system with light sensor caps.
Okanagan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #26

Metal valve stem extensions

Here is a list i ordered mine from. Rubber supports and metal all the way!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VALVE STEMS TIRE.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	260178  
19fisherman4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tpms, valve