RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

TPMS: How important are metal valve stems?

I've been considering installing a TPMS. I read somewhere (I don't recall where now) that you want metal valve stems if you install a TMPS. Is that true? What are your experiences?

Thanks
Cyrus

CyrusL is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #2

I had metal valve extenders installed for my TPMS. Seems to be working just fine.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

If you want your valve stems to live get the metal ones. Not a motor home, but I had a rear valve stem on my motorcycle break and let the air escape because it had a rubber valve stem with a sensor screwed on top. Put metal valve stems on and it has been working ever since. The rubber will break with the additional weight of the sensor unless you figure out another way to secure it so it can not bounce around.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #4

I have rubber valve stems and my TPMS has been trouble free for over 35,000 miles.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not take a chance with rubber valve stems. There is a lot of back and forth stress on the valve stem as the tire rotates.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

Metal stems, not extensions as extensions are prone to leak
coachmanjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The TP sensors are a few ounces. The vibration will cause the rubber to chafe against the rim and could be s serious problem. If you tire distributor does not have the proper metal stems. Amazon and others have stems for dual wheels.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

What is the vehicle in question? Many donít have a metal option. Some of the GM cars/trucks have an available aluminum valve stem for the built in GM TPMS such that use with an external TPMS s snorts has better support. If itís a trailer or towable, then go with metal valve stems.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #9

I have a tpms system for my mh I was using on my pickup truck coming home around noon controller starts beeping front tire says 20lb pull off highway into shady parking lot tire flat rubber valve stem broke I now have changed all stems to metal. no fun changing tire at 95 degrees
Old 08-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #10

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
If you want your valve stems to live get the metal ones. Not a motor home, but I had a rear valve stem on my motorcycle break and let the air escape because it had a rubber valve stem with a sensor screwed on top. The rubber will break with the additional weight of the sensor unless you figure out another way to secure it so it can not bounce around.

Same problem, only the front tire. That'll make you pucker.... Metal for me. Always.
Paul_Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #11

I ran rubber for about 4 years, no issues got new tires and valve stems ( tires aged out) lost one stem on the road., second one let go as i was working in the garage. Rv had been parked there for a month.

Picked up some chrome metal stems one worked itself loose on a trip.

Replaced them with brass from Borg.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #12

Some TPMS also measure temperature. Admittedly this is valve stem temperature but a high reading can alert you to other things. My EEZ TPMS alerted me to a very high temperature due to a dragging front brake and I don't think this would have registered if the valve stem had been rubber.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
NXR

I just took my tow dolly tires in to have metal valve stems installed because of their high rotational speeds and the extra weight of the TPMS sensor. The new TST 507 sensors, the ones without the spinning anti-theft cap and with a user-replaceable battery, weight 0.6 ounces but I did not want to take a chance because they do sit at the end of the stem and there has to be a lever action.

It's costing me $20 per tire and I'm OK with that. I did have a rubber valve stem fail on a pop-up once, but it did not have a TPMS sensor. The metal threaded part blew out of the rubber part on the interstate. Even an entire can of fix-a-flat couldn't plug that hole.

The inside duals do use a valve extender but I had it changed from a flexible braided one to a solid one by the dealer. So far they do not have any abrasion marks and they are very close to one of the rim holes.

Ray
Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #14

I had a TPMS system with sensors on the ends of the valve stems on my previous truck for about 2 years. No issues of any kind with rubber stems. I moved it over to my new truck and the only problem I've had so far is that it's kinda hard to get onto the stem on that inside dual. My big fat fingers just don't have the dexterity to position it and twist it in the right direction or something. Other than that, no issues in about 11,000 miles with rubber stems.

Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, tpms, valve