Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

TPMS Questions

Just wondering if anyone has given any thought to what effect the TPMS screw on transmitter might have on wheel balance? Does anyone rebalance after installing the system?

Secondly, when it is screwed onto a "flexible" rubber valve stem what happens to it as the wheel spins up to highway speed and centrifugal force takes over?
Does the valve stem get stretched while being slung outward from the weight of the transmitter?
How many do 75 MPH with a TPMS system installed?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I asked the question about balance and they said the sensors are light enough not to cause a problem. The installation instructions suggested steel valve stems only. I drive a Thor product that is like driving a hockey puck so I rarely hit speeds above 65 or 70.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Just wondering if anyone has given any thought to what effect the TPMS screw on transmitter might have on wheel balance? Does anyone rebalance after installing the system?

Secondly, when it is screwed onto a "flexible" rubber valve stem what happens to it as the wheel spins up to highway speed and centrifugal force takes over?
Does the valve stem get stretched while being slung outward from the weight of the transmitter?
How many do 75 MPH with a TPMS system installed?
Putting it simply, you worry too much. Don't sweat the TPMS sensor/transmitter thing. It'll be fine.

Driving 75? Not happening here. I pull a 6000 lb travel trailer that has ST tires. No way I'm going over 65, and my target speed is 62.5. ST tires, except the Goodyear Endurance, are rated at 65 mph max. I'll stick to that, thank you. Of course, your results may vary. Enjoy your travels!

Roger
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

I too only do 60 or so but how many 35' 5th wheels have passed you doing 75+? Happens every trip with me.

Not worrying too much about it. Just never heard anyone bring it up. I would think how ever that a rubber valve stem will sling outward at 60 mph putting a strain on the long side of the stretch and any weather cracks on same will only elongate until the stem leaks and the tire goes flat

Actually I've never weighed one. What do they weigh? 1/4 oz?
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
I too only do 60 or so but how many 35' 5th wheels have passed you doing 75+? Happens every trip with me.

Not worrying too much about it. Just never heard anyone bring it up. I would think how ever that a rubber valve stem will sling outward at 60 mph putting a strain on the long side of the stretch and any weather cracks on same will only elongate until the stem leaks and the tire goes flat

Bumper pulls, 5vers, they pass me all the time. Their choice. My tires say 65 mph max, that's what they get.

As for valve stems, I'm pretty sure I'll be replacing the tires every 5 years or so, and valve stems will be part of that. Seriously, I'm not worried about it. I talked with TireMinder about it when I got my TPMS, and they say their official position is that you should use steel valve stems, but they're not aware of any problems from the normal rubber stems.

Roger
Old 04-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #6

Actually, I never thought about the wheels being balanced. Do they come balanced from the factory ?
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

That's why most if not all manufacturers of units that use screw on sensors recommed steel stems.
I have metal stems and my sensors are internal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

See my posts in this thread about supporting the rigid rubber valve stems on my Cherokee Trailhawk toad.

Yes, the TPMS sensors can cause deflection of the valve stem.......

If on the RV, trailer, or other vehicle, change rubber out for metal if possible to do so.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rubb...ms-330221.html
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms