Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #1

Vortex Vent Fan Upgrade

In my most recent Camping World catalogue, requested in home by May 11-13 2010, on page 33, there was a new item listed. It is a Vortex Vent Fan Upgrade #49448. It is meant to replace that dinky little noisy fan we usually get in the bathroom vent. I decided to try one. I am glad I did. It is an excellent product. It is much quieter and the screen removes without any tools for cleaning.

A few problems arose during installation. Not too difficult to solve. The instructions for removal of the old unit and installation of the Vortex unit are printed right on the outside of the box, with pictures. No instruction sheet to get lost. Removal of the old one went exactly as described in the instructions.

The first step for installation is to connect the wires. This makes it very difficult to work trying to hold up the unit with one hand while connecting wire nuts. I would hold off on this step until later.

The next step is to attach the frame to the metal bar of the old unit, still in place, with two screws. Again, a little difficult. First, I would remove the fan screen and the fan blade, described in the instructions later. This got them out of the way for me and made the unit lighter. You are also making a decision on which set of holes will be used to mount the gearbox that operates the crank up cover mechanism. I found that I could remove the gearbox, install it on the crank mechanism first, and the mounting holes for it would line up once I got the fan motor assembly mounted. One last thing in this step. I found the screws furnished to be too short. Yes, if you can get them up the channel, all the way to the hole, they will be long enough. Unfortunately, mine kept tipping on the way up and then would jam. I ended up going with longer screws. One and one half inch.

Once I had the unit mounted, I connected the wires. This was quite easy with the screen and fan out of the way. I put them back after connecting the wires. The rest of the installation is just as described on the box and goes perfectly. Try one. You will like it.

RetiredSKP
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My fan upgrade was from Fantastic Vent and it has a remote control, temperature sensor and a rain close feature. I also like the clear fan blades and how quiet the unit is.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also installed the Vortex fan upgrade in place of the old Vent Line. The install was fairly easy except with the Vent Line you do have to modify the dome lift arm attachment in order for the new lift mechanism to work. The instructions are very poor and you have to engineer the install as you go. The results are good as now we have a more powerful fan and it is quiet. It also has the appearance of a Fantastic as the blades are nearly identical. I also have a Fantastic vent fan in the living room area which I totally upgraded.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

I did the Vortex upgrade also. The advantage of this kit is the whole thing is done from inside, tho it helps w/access to open the vent to start for some hand room on top. Ret'dSKP's description matches my detours w/the install exactly except screws fit.
The Vortex makes a lot more racket than a Fantastic type fan, but less than the teeny and nearly useless toy fan that came w/my rig (Vortex moves a lot more air with its one high speed).

The upgrade Driver describes is better, i.e. a nicer fan & nicer features. Vortex only replaces the fan & motor setup in the existing vent structure. Driver's upgrade means taking the whole cheapo fan plus its enclosure off the roof & outa the ceiling, and installing an as-new nicer fan like one you would have in the main salon, along w/recaulking the flange seam to the roof. That's not as big a deal as it may seem, but is more work including some time on the roof scraping & cleaning the old goop off, & opening a new tube of sealant w/the mess that entails.

I recommend either upgrade vs the racket & inefficiency of the toy fan.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I installed mine and turned it on it made quite a bit of noise. I found that I had pushed the blade assembly too far up the shaft of the motor and the rim around the blades was making contact with something and was making the racket. I loosened the blade and moved it away from where it was rubbing and it was quieter.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw one of these advertised for the first time in a Suncoast RV catalog that arrived at the house last week. DW has been wanting a better fan in the bathroom for some time, and I've been too lazy to replace the whole thing. She picked one up at Camping World last week. When we got back to the RV this afternoon after sighseeing, it was raining, so I got out the phillips screwdriver and spent 45 minutes changing out the original fan for the Vortex. It was easy, could have been done quicker if I hadn't been puttering around, I didn't have to get on the roof, and it works MUCH better than the original fan. Well worth the 50 bucks.

Steve
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

iker211,

I am not in that rig any longer. I believe that there was a gear box that made the crank handle end up closer to the outer edge of the circle. I think that there was more than one gear box for adapting to more than one version of the old fan but my memory is not very good any more. I know that there was more than one way to assemble the gear box and I had to experiment to find the spacing that fit mine. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

RetiredSKP
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

The gear box flips around to line up for those with different vents. I installed the Vortex in less time than the 30 minutes advertised. Love it. Also installed seat belt on toilet to keep from being pulled up through the vent by the suction.

Also a tip for those of you who replace the little anemic fan that was installed in the bathroom. Pop off the six bladed fan, it just pops off the shaft of the original motor. Then go to your noisy range hood and pop off the three bladed noise maker and pop on the six bladed fan. You will be surprised at the volume of air moved over the range and how quiet it now becomes.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote