Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Water purification options

Hi, we are about to be full time RVers with 3 young kids. Water purification is important to me and I am looking for something that will remove chlorine, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, and other contaminants. In our house we use a Big Berkey but we will not have the space for this in the RV. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have reverse osmosis at home and test it regularly with a dissolved solids meter. I was thinking about installing a system in my RV since we just started full-timing. Instead I ran across Zero Water. I bought the one that holds several gallons and rests in the refrig (I have a Samsung). I use it for drinking and coffee. Yes, I have to replace the filter occasionally, but i couldn't find an inline filter that was good enough and bottled water was a pain (and heavy).
Old 07-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Great idea. Works for us. Large dispenser in the fridge and much easier to maintain than in-line filters, etc.
Plus this is the absolutely best filtration system for drinking water on the market.
VetNomadsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Hi, we are about to be full time RVers with 3 young kids. Water purification is important to me and I am looking for something that will remove chlorine, fluoride, pharmaceuticals, and other contaminants. In our house we use a Big Berkey but we will not have the space for this in the RV. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Berkley makes smaller and portable filtration systems. If you like Berkely check them out here: Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification

I know of a family that uses them in their RV and swears by them.

Happy Camping.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Berkley makes smaller and portable filtration systems. If you like Berkely check them out here: Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification

I know of a family that uses them in their RV and swears by them.

Happy Camping.
Have you seen these folks? Premium RO Systems - Buckeye Hydro

I am considering a system from them for my coach. Pricing for quantity of water available seems good.

Rick Y
Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we use a 5 micron pre filter
then the water softener
then the R/O for all drinking water, ice-maker and drinks made with water and mixes
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Unless you are certain of the campground you are at and your own water systems' integrity, I personally wouldn't risk anything with small children as they can be susceptible to micro organisms and small traces of heavy metal etc...

I recommend buying drinking water and use your on board water for cleaning and "maybe" food prep.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

We bought a Zero and used it fir about a week until the filter cartridge needed replacing already. We called the company and they confirmed that when it started producing water that tasted like vinegar it was finished. We were in Arizona at the time and we were told that was very hard water. It was not cost effective to replace a filter that cost around $30 if I remember right once a week! It went back to Walmart. I now have a whole 'coach' RO system installed. The wife loves it. I use it to fill my fresh water tank or if in an area where the water is good I flip two valves on a Y fitting and bypass the RO bladders and use the water only filtered through the three pre-filters. I bought a kit in Yuma from the 'RV Water filter Store' and installed myself. They are on the internet and easily found with GOOGLE. I am only a satisfied customer.

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
I have reverse osmosis at home and test it regularly with a dissolved solids meter. I was thinking about installing a system in my RV since we just started full-timing. Instead I ran across Zero Water. I bought the one that holds several gallons and rests in the refrig (I have a Samsung). I use it for drinking and coffee. Yes, I have to replace the filter occasionally, but i couldn't find an inline filter that was good enough and bottled water was a pain (and heavy).
Old 07-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednruthy View Post
We bought a Zero and used it fir about a week until the filter cartridge needed replacing already. We called the company and they confirmed that when it started producing water that tasted like vinegar it was finished. We were in Arizona at the time and we were told that was very hard water. It was not cost effective to replace a filter that cost around $30 if I remember right once a week! It went back to Walmart. I now have a whole 'coach' RO system installed. The wife loves it. I use it to fill my fresh water tank or if in an area where the water is good I flip two valves on a Y fitting and bypass the RO bladders and use the water only filtered through the three pre-filters. I bought a kit in Yuma from the 'RV Water filter Store' and installed myself. They are on the internet and easily found with GOOGLE. I am only a satisfied customer.

Ted

Ted,

Did you install float switches in the tank to turn the RO off & on? Also what pump are you using for the RO system.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #10

Steve, I have no tank floats to automate the fill process (yet?). I just have a Y on the output of the three filter canisters and switch both valves on this Y and that bypasses the filter output from the bladders that feed the tank to the position that feeds the filter output directly into the coach plumbing. I started without even a boost pump but quickly found that one was required for when you get to a park that has water pressure lower than maybe 65 psi. The fill process really gets too slow without adequate water source pressure. My boost pump is Aquatec CDP 8800 12 V model from RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Ted,

Did you install float switches in the tank to turn the RO off & on? Also what pump are you using for the RO system.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #11

Ron & Sharon Goshorn

We bought a RO system at Lowe's works great and we love it .Fits well under our sink
Ron Goshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goshorn View Post
We bought a RO system at Lowe's works great and we love it .Fits well under our sink
I hope your have been properly
Please update your signature so we no more about you pertaining to your equipment.

Please tell us more about this RO system. What is the output rate? Is it for drinking only or for the whole house? Do you store the RO water or is it a constant feed?

Thanks,
Rick Y
Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #13

I installed an RO system in our coach shortly after purchase, a unit from

Home page

I use a 75 gal/day membrane, feeds directly into the tank. Since my water tank is visible behind my side compartment door I did not install an auto shutoff. If I think the tank will fill during the nite I just turn it off. I have my tank marked in 10 gal increments.

I use a 10 micron then 5 micron sediment filter, then 5 micron carbon block filter before the membrane. I flush the membrane weekly for about 15 minutes. I do not use a boost pump. If I am in an area for an extended period of time with low water pressure I will use city water for the washer.

My initial reason for installing the RO system was to keep our plumbing hardware clean, since we fulltime. It also provides spot free showers and dish washing. As an added bonus, I use a water hose tap on the outside shower to wash the car and coach spot free.

My initial installation included a de-ionizing cartridge after the membrane. Found out quickly that heating de-ionized water results in a stinky coach.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #14

My Full Time Setup

My setup is Sediment filter -> Carbon Filter -> UV Filter -> Water Softener -> Under Sink RO System
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, water