Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Smile Weboost RV 4G Cell Phone Signal Booster

I made a modification today that could be made to any RV. I bought and set up a cell phone signal booster. Where I am parked now, I would get one, and sometimes two bars, on a five bar scale on my smart phone. I use my smart phone for nearly all communications with everyone that I know that is not an amateur radio operator (most folks I know) and all internet access using Fox Fi to make the phone a wireless access point. For other communication I have a DeLorme InReach that works pretty well, and the amateur radio folks I know can be reached in a few different ways whenever needed.

The story about getting it up and running is a little funny, as in funny/a little confusing/Mod Edit/screw that, it works anyways.

My cell phone and internet provider, who I will not name outright but it sounds kinda close to "H o rizon", is a strange company to deal with at times. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they can be a bit of a pain if you have a problem. They also have great coverage across the western US where I spend nearly all of my time, in that my cell phone works in places I often am surprised to find I have any service at all.

I've been thinking about getting a signal booster for the travel trailer in order to give myself a little help when I'm away from civilization (where I prefer to be). I noticed that Camping World was selling one that was rated pretty well, and it came with a 12v power plug for when I want to run off of the trailer batteries. The weboost RV 4G, $400.

On the box, it states "You must have your cell service provider's consent to use this device". I called my (unnamed cell phone service provider's) customer service and asked them, but they didn't know, and wanted to talk to technical support about it. I got a call back about fifteen minutes later telling me that they "only allow cell phone signal boosters that (we) exclusively sell for use on our network", and "we don't sell any at this time".

I bought the unit anyways after doing some research. Turns out my cell phone provider has a web page where a customer can register their cell phone signal booster, per FCC regulations, and on that web page, it says that successful registration is an agreement between both parties to operate the unit according to the regulations and consent to use it on the network. Boo-yaa!!!

I did. I am. Screw them.

One bar is now three to four bars on a five bar scale.The set up was simple, screw on this cable end here, mount antenna outside using these suction cups, plug in the inside antenna here, plug the whole thing into power (comes with 12V adapter, too) try different locations of the outside antenna until you get a good signal, sit back and enjoy a better signal.

Is it worth $400? That will depend on how important it is to have cell phone or data service where you are. To me, it's pretty important, and I may make the $400 back pretty quick by being better connected to data.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a couple of older Wilson units, one is a 4GV cradle and the other pre 4g requires attaching a signal pickup to the phone. Great Company and products. My question reqarding the new"Do It All" repeaters has to do with the pickup distance (from the internal antenna) inside your RV. Some reviewers don't mention this, others, if they do, say you have to be real close. What has been your experience, is it whole RV, outside patio, room size, or a matter of feet or inches? Thank you.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm in a 21 foot long travel trailer. The signal strength, only by looking at the five bar scale on the phone, stays the same throughout.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the WE Boost 4G-X and we will be giving it a full test in a couple of weeks. Trips since we got it have all been in areas where the signal has been ok, but are now solid 5 bars.
I disassembled and removed the obsolete Datron Sat antenna and then fished the Booster & Sat radio antenna cables through the cable entry point. Resealed with Dicor and put the magnetic mounts on the basepalte from the Datron.
Looks neat and works great for both!