Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #1

I would like to use a propane generator for primary power for my cabin. Does anyone have a recommendation for long term use? We are looking for a 7 to 8 Kw range unit, with elect. start.

Thanks in advance.

Kurt '69
Kutch's Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2006, 03:42 AM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Kurt,
It was this question that lead me on the quest for an answer, resulting in trading in my 5W and getting a MH.

There is no propane generator that will give you sufficient power and still run long enough on the small tanks that come in a traler -- period. Not that propane is not a good fuel in a fixed stationary installation like a house. But on the road, they drink too much.

I then looked at Gasoline or Diesel. Diesel was much heavier and with the fuel would seriously take all my front storage on the fifth.

The result was my present rig -- no regrets, I have a 7.5 kw diesel gen that sips fuel.
However, I don't use an electric stove. That would require running a generator too much.
Walt
Old 09-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
DUH!!
I just reread my post and noticed the word "cabin". I answered a question you did not ask.

But....! Living in a coastal hurricane zone has led me to ask the same question. Back up power for the home on propane? Is that the way to go?

Another option I looked at was getting one of the mini-compact diesel yard tractors. They have a PTO and sip fuel. You can buy 8KW Generators that run on PTO.

Walt
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #4

From your post I'm assuming you are off-grid and that "cabin" means you will only be there occasionaly and are wanting to run the generator for most of the time you are at the cabin.

An ONAN "whole house" generator may be your best choice. They cost more but are much more "industrial or commercial" than say a generac. The type I am talking about is mounted on a slab outside the building and hard wired to the house.
Propane may be your best choice if there will be long periods of no use. Propane will not fowl a carburetor or get old like gasoline. Diesel would be a second choice, as diesel fuel has longer shelf life than gasoline. With propane, you should get a 250 gallon or larger tank installed. This assumes a propane delivery truck can access your cabin.

Solar electric or wind electric are other alternative if you are off-grid. There initial cost tends to be very high, but long term may be cheaper than buying fuel for years to run a generator.

Some of the tractor driven PTO generators mentioned above only produce "dirty electricity" that can harm electronics but is OK for light bulbs, ect...
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Some of the tractor driven PTO generators mentioned above only produce "dirty electricity" that can harm electronics but is OK for light bulbs, ect...
Thanks for this information, I was not aware of that short coming with PTO generators.
Walt
Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #6

To expand about the PTO generators... the governor of the engine (tractor) powering the PTO must be very responsive to the varying electric loads imposed on the generator. If the engine RPM's drop too much as a load is applied, then the output voltage and the output hertz becomes unstable and contributes to the "dirtiness" of the electricity it makes. Most tractor governors are not designed to respond that quickly.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #7

Just be aware that a 7KW generator on propane uses between .84 to 1.48 gallons of propane an hour according to the data sheet on Generac's web site. A 100 Lb tank only holds around 80 pounds which is a touch over 20 gallons, if memory serves me correctly, so you could be going through 80 lbs a day with a propane generator. Even a 250 lb tank may last only 3 days unless you run the generator only when really needed.

I would consider a system with a generator, inverter and battery bank. Then you would need to start the generator only to recharge the batteries or run a high draw appliance. A solar charger to maintain the batteries when you are not there would not be a bad idea either.

Regards,
Old 09-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #8

I meant a 250 GALLON tank. They are about 8 foot long and about 30 inches in diameter.