Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
We tow a Cherokee, and two e-bikes (Rad City, a Recumbent or my Catrike trike - all have motors; the trike weighs close to my 65lbs). I have the Hollywood e-bike dual with the trike extension. I didn't like the idea of the dual receiver, so I put the Hollywood on the Jeep...works perfectly and is nice if we want to travel to a trail.

I have covers for the bikes, but still think there needs to be something on the bottom to minimize road dust and spray from getting up under the cover. I was thinking some plexiglass with just enough cutout for the tires. That will be one of my spring projects.

Ron

I too have the Hollywood evoke rack and have been using a dual receiver on the rear of the Motorhome as they weren’t approved on a towed vehicle. I discovered yesterday that they have come out with one that is approved for toad , 5th wheel and Motorhome.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #44
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
I too have the Hollywood evoke rack and have been using a dual receiver on the rear of the Motorhome as they weren’t approved on a towed vehicle. I discovered yesterday that they have come out with one that is approved for toad , 5th wheel and Motorhome.

eTrailer told me that adding a dual receiver cuts the weight rating of the hitch in half so I could not use one for ebikes and for pulling a car in a dolly.

I had looked at a few dual receivers and they all had a note about not being approved for a car on a dolly, just flat towing.

I don’t understand the difference except for the tongue weight aspect. I didn’t think a dolly had much tongue weight because it’s not holding the car up.

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 12-20-2019, 01:29 AM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Tons of ebikes here in Huntington Beach CA. However there are less expensive, and less heavy options than the big, heavy Pedegos etc., not that there's anything wrong with those, they are awesome!

6 years ago (when I was 59) I bought a "Hilltopper" kit (no affiliation) online for $600. Comes with a 250 watt planetary gear motor hub laced onto whatever size wheel you request. Also comes with the battery pack you pick, and the electrical harness.

Very easy to install, though I did have to file the fork openings just a bit. It only adds about 6 pounds to the bike, and will go 15 MPH on it's own on level ground. Also with this motor you can just ride normally, pedaling, or pedal with the motor on. This style of motor adds no resistance when not in use. BTW to me 15 MPH is fast enough for most bike paths. When some go whizzing by over 20 MPH it's dangerous to other riders, and to kids walking.

I ride about every day when it's not raining to our local pier and back. Was getting to be a chore because one way or the other, it's against the wind.

I just put it on an old bike I already had. I've had to purchase a new battery pack about every 2 years, but that's to be expected. About $300 per for a 20 mile lithium pack. The motor still runs like a champ. These are very common motors in Asia, pretty much bulletproof.

Here's a link to a kit you can buy to turn your bike into an ebike.
US$277.20 43% OFF]LCD + 48V 1000W 26inch Hight Speed Scooter Electric Bicycle E-bike Hub Motor Conversion kit Electric Scooters from Automobiles & Motorcycles on banggood.com [US$277.20 43% OFF]LCD + 48V 1000W 26inch Hight Speed Scooter Electric Bicycle E-bike Hub Motor Conversion kit Electric Scooters from Automobiles & Motorcycles on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/PTJqPGphz2
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniccruzer View Post
Yep, this one https://hollywoodracks.com/products/...29381046304837

ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomson View Post
At 68 pounds how hard are they to pedal?
Not hard to pedal at all.

Even with minimum or no assist they pedal with little resistance. Plenty of different gear ratios to overcome weight.

A lot depends on the type of motor, hub motors have some resistance (my trike/recumbent have hub motors), geared hub motors (RadCity has a geared hub motor) have little to no resistance even without power.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3981.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	273051

this our 1992 Ibis Cousin It tandem in “refreshed” upright riding configurations. we bought it new in ‘92 and have put ~25,000 miles on it. but as a result of my requiring **many** abdominal operations, we had to stop riding.

until recently ... when i installed a Bafang 750w / 48v front wheel kit i bought from Hilltopper Bikes. we’ve taken it for a series of rides and LOVE it! we have a Rivendell Cheviot (single) and a Ryan Duplex (recumbent tandem) i may get kits for as well.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #49

for those that use a tow dolly why couldn't you mount the bike rack on the dolly, it would require some fabrication. a couple hundred pounds added to the tow dolly just ahead of the vehicle should be ok. you would need to consult someone in the trailer fabricating business
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
for those that use a tow dolly why couldn't you mount the bike rack on the dolly, it would require some fabrication. a couple hundred pounds added to the tow dolly just ahead of the vehicle should be ok. you would need to consult someone in the trailer fabricating business
Jay D.
You don't need fabricating, just a bolt on 2" receiver in the right spot on the dolly tongue.

The trick is to place it so the bikes don't hit the RV or toad in a tight turn.Click image for larger version

Name:	stromberg-carlson-products-rv-accessories-ba-100-64_1000.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	273062
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You don't need fabricating, just a bolt on 2" receiver in the right spot on the dolly tongue.

The trick is to place it so the bikes don't hit the RV or toad in a tight turn.Attachment 273062
problem solved
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #52

If you tend to do mostly boondocking and move around frequently (e.g. every two weeks or so) could a good e-bike replace the need for a toad in most circumstances?

I'm thinking that in such circumstances you can get supplies before/after each stop and thus only really need transportation to get around the local area. Anyone trying this currently?
CBDunkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBDunkerson View Post
If you tend to do mostly boondocking and move around frequently (e.g. every two weeks or so) could a good e-bike replace the need for a toad in most circumstances?

I'm thinking that in such circumstances you can get supplies before/after each stop and thus only really need transportation to get around the local area. Anyone trying this currently?
I have about 20,000 mile on my road bicycle. I also ride a motorcycle occasionally. I would not suggest the average person take to the road. It's dangerous being on the road. There are places I won't ride my bicycle on the road and I would barely ride my motorcycle. E-bikes are for everyone IMO. Riding them on the road is not to be taken lightly.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #54

Regarding road riding, I have to agree. After many 10,000 mile years, we have backed way off. It seemed like every time we went out we had a near miss due to drivers and their cell phones. Reluctantly, we tried bike paths a few times. Bike paths on a fast tandem are no fun and lack of hills make them boring. And then there are the kids and dog walkers.

After 3 near head on collisions with bicyclists on cell phones we pretty much avoid bike paths now too. Very bright flashing headlight and obnoxious horn failed to get their noses out of their phones.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Regarding road riding, I have to agree. After many 10,000 mile years, we have backed way off. It seemed like every time we went out we had a near miss due to drivers and their cell phones. Reluctantly, we tried bike paths a few times. Bike paths on a fast tandem are no fun and lack of hills make them boring. And then there are the kids and dog walkers.

After 3 near head on collisions with bicyclists on cell phones we pretty much avoid bike paths now too. Very bright flashing headlight and obnoxious horn failed to get their noses out of their phones.
Most bike paths aren't safe for anyone going over 10mph except for the sections where you can see for a long ways.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought lectric bikes...we LOVE THEM...879.00 per bike...petal and petal assist. they have fat tires and they fold in half...easy to transport...
tiffinbus is offline   Reply With Quote