Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Gear and Product Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #1

Wireless backup cameras?

My backup camera in my 2005 Tiffin Phaeton is going gray and I am not impressed with any solutions read thus far. Does anyone have any kind advice regarding the use of a wireless back up camera system to replace my current wired system? I am just starting my search for a solution and appreciate any upfront available advice offered. Thank you in advance

kdfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Although I have a wireless that works well with thee fiver, because yours already has the wiring, I would stay with it. The camera and or monitor can easily be replaced.

powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a wireless system on a class c..I had troubles with interference and the backup camera seldom worked... When the rear facing camera worked it was bright and Chrystal clear.. My new class a bounder classic leaves a lot to be desired.. Don't know the name of my wireless but I bought it at a John Deere dealer for almost 600 dollars... Good luck
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #4

Have a wireless on my 5er, going wired in the near future. To many drop outs and interference. Just had my fathers camera out on his Allegro Bus (February, went to visit in AZ) and do not remember if the camera connection was there or just the wire.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Voyager has the best wireless system on the market. Says it carries signal up to 60 ft. but I did not want to lose any signal so I got a 35 ft extension cable with antenna. 43 ft 5th plus 4 ft of box plus crew cab gets over 60 ft. RVcams.com has been in business for over 10 years. I have dealt with them twice and got good pricing. Tim takes care of his customers.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
I had a wireless system on a class c..I had troubles with interference and the backup camera seldom worked... When the rear facing camera worked it was bright and Chrystal clear.. My new class a bounder classic leaves a lot to be desired.. Don't know the name of my wireless but I bought it at a John Deere dealer for almost 600 dollars... Good luck
Most likely called CabCam. I have a couple wired ones in my combine.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
All wireless cams are NOT created equal. As "schrod" mentioned the Jensen Voyager models work fine. I have one installed in my 41' motorhome and it works flawlessly. The biggest problem with using wired cameras to replace older systems is the many different types of connectors that were used in the older systems.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfors View Post
My backup camera in my 2005 Tiffin Phaeton is going gray and I am not impressed with any solutions read thus far. Does anyone have any kind advice regarding the use of a wireless back up camera system to replace my current wired system? I am just starting my search for a solution and appreciate any upfront available advice offered. Thank you in advance
kdfors
I've been successfully using an earlier version of the "Peak7 wireless backup camera kit" in my 35 ft coach for 7 years, (over 50,000 miles).

(I had to cut the mounting wings off the camera and fabricate a suitable mounting bracket).

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0BU7-W.../dp/B009VYWJ0A
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
kdfors
I've been successfully using an earlier version of the "Peak7 wireless backup camera kit" in my 35 ft coach for 7 years, (over 50,000 miles).

(I had to cut the mounting wings off the camera and fabricate a suitable mounting bracket).

Amazon.com: Peak PKC0BU7 Wireless 7-Inch Back-up Camera Kit: Automotive
Mel
'96 Safari

Mel. That is actually a more current model. The old style was model PKCORC. Both have 7" screen and the only real difference I see is button controls on front while old one is on the edge. Both should work OK. I see the old style on EBay from time to time. I have been using mine for several years on a fiver.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
kdfors

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0BU7-W.../dp/B009VYWJ0A
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Mel. That is actually a more current model. The old style was model PKCORC. Both have 7" screen and the only real difference I see is button controls on front while old one is on the edge. Both should work OK. I see the old style on EBay from time to time. I have been using mine for several years on a fiver.
powderman
You are correct.
That's why I said: "I've been successfully using an EARLIER VERSION of the Peak7 wireless backup camera kit #PKC0BU7".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

I bought a $50 wifi rearview camera kit like the one in the link off of eBay that works great after a little modification. It uses your phone as the display and even comes with a drill bit. The one I used is rated IP68 and installed in the rear bumper of my camper. By itself it's fine for reversing but wifi has difficulty at highway speeds sometimes. I just extended a wire so the wifi transmitter was up by the propane tanks and now have a smooth full time view of everything behind me. There's also a switch for mirrored view by the camera.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backup-Car-3...tUnh~m&vxp=mtr

I sometimes use my old iPhone 4 with a suction cup mount on my rear mirror or even on my steering wheel with a rubber band type mount.

Otherwise I use my Galaxy S5 that mounts magnetically right next to my right knee easily reached without lifting my arm. I do not like to have to reach out for my dash at highway speeds.
Ryanincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #12

Wireless router can help

In TT we just sold - had a wireless router that could act to boost weak wireless in campsites or when traveling connected to inverter in front end and logged in camera in rear and tablet or smart phone in truck. Worked great for both uses. Plan to add internet booster to our Alfa soon. Planning to upgrade existing BW camera on Alfa with similar router system.

Bill
2004 Alfa See Ya 36
Bill36ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #13

back up camera

My back up camera on my 2009 32'open road MH went out. Tim from RV Cams.com suggested a certain model. Right connection, just like old camera, works fine. I'm back in business! A better picture too.
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned five backup cameras. Two were license plate type and have them on my truck and my wife's Crown Vic. The remaining three backup camera systems were all purchased from eBay. All three cost under $100 and were "unbranded" Chinese stuff. First one worked great. Sold the RV and the camera went with it. The monitor did NOT work as advertised as it had two channels; one for wireless viewing and one for a wired connection. Couldn't use the wired connection for the license plate backup camera so I had two screens on my dash. The wireless camera worked pretty nicely on my 5ver; occassional signal fluttering on bridges and at night cars coming up on me would turn the screen into a light washed out uselessness. I had the camera wired to a marker light so it worked every time the lights were turn on.

Bought system 2 and it was pretty much identical to the other but it never worked and it was returned for a refund; bought same type system on eBay and it worked fine for about a month and then one day the camera just flickered a few times then died. Electrical connections were still solid. Guess I will have to spend a few more bucks on a higher quality system for my next stab at it. It was nice to be able to see cars tail gating me!

wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera