Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

1 TB DVR Upgrade Expansion for Dish Wally

Dish is selling a Seagate 1TB USB 3 portable hard drive for $99 that works with the 211z and the Wally. Thought it had to have its on power and USB 2. Look at this and see if this isn't the same drive on Amazon for $55? Dish doesn't give a lot of info on there site but see what you guys think.

https://www.dishformyrv.com/1-tb-dvr-upgrade-expansion/

Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-Exp...et_feature_div

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinhuntin View Post
Dish is selling a Seagate 1TB USB 3 portable hard drive for $99 that works with the 211z and the Wally. Thought it had to have its on power and USB 2. Look at this and see if this isn't the same drive on Amazon for $55? Dish doesn't give a lot of info on there site but see what you guys think.

https://www.dishformyrv.com/1-tb-dvr-upgrade-expansion/

Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-Exp...et_feature_div
It's the same. Any of the newer low power USB HD's will work.
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Yep! We use TRANSCEND STOREJET external drives. The company claims that they are built to MiL specs on shock and vibration, and come in a padded case.

Amazon has them in 1TB and 2TB sizes.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

We used the Seagate 2TB w/power until it crapped out. Replace it with a 1TB and its working fine.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #6

Which seagate 1tb EHD did you use? I bought a backup plus slim and haven't tried it yet. Does yours have its own power supply or is it internal? Trying to get it right the first time.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 500mb SSD with Wally. Bought it at Costco. No separate power needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #8

OK so I'm not TV smart here.
We added a Wally and Playmaker antenna a few weeks ago and the system works fine right out of the box

If I got an add on drive like any of these do I still need to get it activated and pay the $40 fee to Dish?

Secondly, we have many hours recorded on our older DVR at home. Is there anyway to download those to another drive and watch them on our TT set up?
That's what we'd really like to do, record at home then watch in the TT on the road. Can it be done?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2017, 01:48 AM   #9

The $40 is required as a one time fee. I'm not sure about being able to play back your recordings. I know you can't record off the wally and then play them back on another device. They are encrypted only for that particular wally. There is a dish forum that you might want to explore. I'm new to this set up myself.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #10

If I remember correctly Dish has a special encryption software to where your PC or Mac will not recognize the hard drive unless you format it first. Which means you would loose everything on it.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
OK so I'm not TV smart here.
We added a Wally and Playmaker antenna a few weeks ago and the system works fine right out of the box

If I got an add on drive like any of these do I still need to get it activated and pay the $40 fee to Dish?

Secondly, we have many hours recorded on our older DVR at home. Is there anyway to download those to another drive and watch them on our TT set up?
That's what we'd really like to do, record at home then watch in the TT on the road. Can it be done?
Thanks
I had a Hopper at my S&B. I sold the S&B and asked before I returned the Hopper if I could transfer the data to my Wally. The answer was no.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #12

Same deal--downloaded all the saved movies from the home Hopper expecting to be able to use it with the Wally in the RV. Absolutely NOT. Not the same software/encryption. If you check it on a computer, it will show that there is data stored but cannot be read/opened.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

But I could take my home DVR and hook it up to the TT TV and play my hundreds of hours of shows that way, am I correct on that?
We don't watch much "live" TV around here and certainly not any "local" news programs AND we can't stand the commercials. Actually we live a pretty sequestered life from the normal "entertainment" avenues most follow. Haven't been to a movie in years.

I wonder why no one has "cracked" the lock box to be able to play those shows as they did with jail breaking phones? Seems some young Turk in a small room in NYC could figure that one out pretty quick.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
But I could take my home DVR and hook it up to the TT TV and play my hundreds of hours of shows that way, am I correct on that?
We don't watch much "live" TV around here and certainly not any "local" news programs AND we can't stand the commercials. Actually we live a pretty sequestered life from the normal "entertainment" avenues most follow. Haven't been to a movie in years.

I wonder why no one has "cracked" the lock box to be able to play those shows as they did with jail breaking phones? Seems some young Turk in a small room in NYC could figure that one out pretty quick.
Do you mean take your home Hopper receiver?
Encryption these days is not that simple to crack. Ask the FBI and why they can't crack apps like Whatsapp and such.

Tags
dish, upgrade