Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #1

1 TB hard drive vs 256GB SSD storage

I have a small idea how 1 TB compares with the GBs on my Vista laptop but have no idea how much or where 256GB SSD storage compares.

If those two types of storage are the only differences between two different laptops which one would be the best, besides picking between HP and Dell?
Is this like picking between Chevrolet and Ford, or between Chevrolet and BMW?

Now I know why I'm still using my very first computer, a Vista laptop.

b
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
1 TB hard drive vs 256GB SSD storage

1 TB = approx. 4 256gb drives
If both are SSD then then go for more storage. SSD drives are faster and less likely to fail.
256gb seems to fill up quickly if you are dealing with any sort of pictures or video.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #3

1 TB hard hard drive is bigger and slower than a 256 GB SSD storage.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Much depends on what you plan to do with the PC. If you need give of storage for videos and pictures, the 1tb spinning drive is likely better. If you are after fastest performance without the big storage needs, the 256gb SSD is better.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
1 TB hard hard drive is bigger and slower than a 256 GB SSD storage.
and probably a bit less expensive. no moving parts in an SSD but the larger the SSD the more $ it becomes. if this is for a laptop and its to be the only drive i'd definitely go for capacity....the 1TB drive (7200 rpm would be prefered vs 5400 rpm and i'd be looking at western digital). as for PC i prefer Dell over HP but it is a chevy vs ford, less filling vs tastes great or a mary ann vs ginger preference.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
1 TB = approx. 4 256gb drives
If both are SSD then then go for more storage. SSD drives are faster and less likely to fail.
256gb seems to fill up quickly if you are dealing with any sort of pictures or video.
Don't have any way of knowing if one computer is all SSD, both Ram and Storage, and the other computers are all straight GBs hard drive.

256 GBs of hard drive storage wouldn't be anything at all, even for normal usage.

At Staples the $420 HP has 1 TB hard drive but the $490 Dell only has 256 GB SSD storage. Both brands of computer have 8GBs Ram.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd buy the Dell with the solid state drive. It will be a lot faster than the HP.

Look at your current computer's hard drive and see how much space you have used on it. I believe you'll find 256 gigabytes is more than sufficient.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:42 AM   #8

wagonmaster2-

If you want to buy and hang onto a computer that is useful for the longest period, buy one with the fastest processor you can get. In a laptop, the processor is permanently attached (unlike a desktop computer), and so cannot be upgraded. If you are looking at the Intel line of processors, from fastest to slowest is:

Fastest = i7 --> i5 --> i3 --> Pentium = Slowest

A solid-state drive is better than a rotating one, especially in a laptop. It costs more as a result.

Disk prices (solid-state and rotating) drop constantly. They can be replaced later, if you run out of capacity.

As Arch suggested, check your current laptop drive size and see how full it is. The 256GB solid-state drive on the laptop I have is only half-full. I keep my pictures on a separate computer.

Points you may not have considered:

1) New operating system (Windows 10) may require new versions of some of your applications. Software is expensive to upgrade, compared to the hardware; it can easily cost two or three times the hardware cost.

2) If you haven't got a backup method and use it regularly, now would be the time to start. That's where external USB 2TB rotating disk drives are useful. Here's a link to ones I use.

3) If you find that you need a CD/DVD drive, this one is a decent unit, for little money.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #9

IMHO, SSD for the laptop. Performance when using is much more important to me than raw storage.

In the "real world" not many need instant access to videos and pics they have taken 3 years ago. Best to move then to back up device which is safer as it is not IF your HD will fail, it's WHEN it will. If you need to show them off or want to see them routinely there are plenty of cheap digital picture frames to use or send them to your tv via many options. Most TVs you can plug in a thumb drive and turn the TV into a slideshow projector.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #10

I forgot to add that if you want to keep a computer for a while, in addition to selecting a fast processor it helps to get one that can have its RAM (processor memory) increased later- say, 8 GB now, 16 GB maximum. If the RAM cannot be upgraded, then get 16GB now.

As the saying goes, "You can never have too fast a processor or too much RAM."

I just retired a 2005 laptop, with a 60GB solid-state disk, 1.5 GB RAM and a Pentium processor, running Windows 7 Professional. It still works; it can run software in versions up to 2013 or so. I replaced the keyboard twice (and still have a spare), the external power supplies and batteries multiple times. I retired it because I figured one day the display board would fail, and then I'd be stuck migrating to a new laptop with the old one dead.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:16 AM   #11

SSD, without a doubt. It's so much faster especially on start up. If storage is an issue buy an external hard drive to store pictures and movies and whatnot. My computers with SSDs (my work laptop and the house computer at the S&B) wake up almost as fast as an iPad.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
SSD, without a doubt. It's so much faster especially on start up. If storage is an issue buy an external hard drive to store pictures and movies and whatnot. My computers with SSDs (my work laptop and the house computer at the S&B) wake up almost as fast as an iPad.
X2.

I replaced a crashed drive in my I3 (with a 256G SSD) and it's now the fastest computer I've ever used when it comes to boot-up, power down, etc.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both my laptop and desk top have both : SSD for programs and Hard Drive for storage. I tend to keep them for awhile so I maxed out on size and ram.
Pricey now but cheaper than adding in the future.
BTW, as far as I know, nothing in the "CLOUD".
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
X3. You can get a cheap external USB drive to store what won’t fit on the SSD. 1 TB drives for about $60, 2 or 3 TB for $100.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage