Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
12 volt DVD player??

In the bedroom of my 03 Bounder, I replaced the original CRT TV with a 19" 12 volt LCD TV. I wanted to use a 12 volt TV/DVD combo but all the units I saw had the DVD slot on the side of the TV and it would not have worked with the space I have. I am now looking for a 12 volt DVD player (without an attached lcd monitor) that will also plug into the 12volt outlet. I prefer a 12volt set up in the bedroom as I like the ability to watch tv/movies when not on shore power and without using the generator.

I've been searching online and have seen several possibilities. However, some have poor user reviews. Some of the brands I see are Coby, Naxa, Myron & Davis. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality unit that might meet my needs?

Thanks
classic60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #2

I would suggest getting any DVD player with features and quality you like that uses a wall wart or power brick (so it's already being fed DC), and getting a universal 12V DC adapter. Quite a few of them will already be 12V, even if they're not advertised that way. Go to a store where you can see them set up on display and check them out.

Alternatively, just get a small inverter.

--Dave
Dave Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is have is that there is not enough space for a standard sized dvd player within the compartment with my LCD so I'm looking for an "automotive" size designed to fit in tight spaces, under dash, glove box, etc.
classic60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #4

Walmart has several DVD players that are not much bigger than CD players, and I believe use the AC/DC converter (Wall wart) as a power supply. Radio shack also sells a 12 volt to multiple voltages converter if the DVD player uses 9 volts instead of 12 or something crazy like that.

Just looked at Walmart.com - Viore has a small player that may work (you'll have to look at it in the store) for 38 dollars.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry no recommendations. You are doing the right thing by searching for reviews. As for where to buy, I am always amazed at all the 12volt stuff I see in the truckers store at places like Loves, Pilot, and Flying J.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have this Jensen 12V unit and like it. Notice it is two units high but it is just right for a bedroom since it includes a CD/DVD player, an AM/FM tuner, and an ipod input which automatically displays the playlist etc., as well as a USB input. There is also a 3 zone selector and, for the bedroom, a headphone jack for the ccrane pillow speaker.

Mine is mounted in a night stand so I just turn/push the knobs, but it does also have a remote.
Attached Images

marvel is offline   Reply With Quote