RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #1

I finally have a path from the overhead receiver to the outside without tearing up the coach getting the coax down below...I sacrificed my cable tv outside connection and it is now my HD tripod connection..I also have a dome...So now I have 2 coax inputs that I can swap with a barrel connector going to the 'sat in' on the receiver...
Rather than having to disconnect/reconnect at the barrel connector, can I use an A/B switch with HD satellite TV? Will it harm my HD signal at all???

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #2

I finally have a path from the overhead receiver to the outside without tearing up the coach getting the coax down below...I sacrificed my cable tv outside connection and it is now my HD tripod connection..I also have a dome...So now I have 2 coax inputs that I can swap with a barrel connector going to the 'sat in' on the receiver...
Rather than having to disconnect/reconnect at the barrel connector, can I use an A/B switch with HD satellite TV? Will it harm my HD signal at all???

Old 02-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
whb

footdoc, where are you at in Mobile, I'm in Irvington.
whb

Workhorse
whb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #4

An A/B switch will work just fine if you have 2 coax connections that you would like to swap between one input. Look for a good one that uses a button button type switch and not a slide. Radio Shack makes a good one as does Winegard (at Camping World) that should work for many years.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #5

Thanks Mr. Wizard (remember him?)..will do
Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
jfb

Footdoc, what you have described boggles the mind! Our 2005, built in 2004, came with both the roof satellite hook-up and a hook-up for a remote satellite, both direct to the satellite reciever. Additionally, we have the park cable hook-up. We initially brought in DISH. No problems. We had to replace the Winegard with a Kingdome because the wind would cause of loss of signal. No problem. Then we replaced DISH with DirecTV. No problem. We expect the February 2009 switch-over to be no problem.

Changing or rerouting cables in you rig, as I understand that you have had to do, really makes me wonder how they set your rig up....
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 AM   #7

It is rather disappointing that on a higher end Newmar that I would have to go thru this ...It's not like there was no such thing as HD tv as I have 2 HD tvs installed. Newmar's prepping for real world HD came up pretty short sighted. My next project is to somehow get my front tv to receive off air in HD without the bedroom tv losing its picture off air. If I connect the batwing antenna into the rear of my hd receiver, I think the bedroom tv will lose off air signal..need to study this some more...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I connect the batwing antenna into the rear of my hd receiver, I think the bedroom tv will lose off air signal..need to study this some more... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is no reason to believe that this is correct. The over-the-air Digital/HD signal (not the same thing) works just fine over coax even with splitters in the loop.
If you can get a feed from your batwing to each of your TV's you should have an excellent signal on both at the same time.

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote