Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
This one outputs 13V and is designed for Mobley according to seller.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered two:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303032508813?ul_noapp=true
from Ebay. Made offer of $44.00 for two including shipping and was accepted.

So, $22.00 each instead of $30.00 each PLUS shipping!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
You may have ended up with a 2 yr contract and the device was free.
I called for a PUC and it was an easy call - called and told them I had locked myself out of the Mobley.
Was your Mobley / service under contract still?

I probably will call once I get mine activated (took the 24 mo contract/free Mobley) and claim to be locked out to. Hope that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
I got mine for free last week with the 2 yr contract. The next day I chatted with support to get the PUC codes. Took longer than it should, like everything AT&T lately. I have them now for both my mobley's. -Bill
Good to know! What # did you call?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
How about another update ! Do you still have a computer "connected" after more than 48 hours ?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHER OBD-II ADAPTERS TO TRICK THE MOBLEY ?

Looks like you want an adapter that has the output voltage like a running car/truck, probably in the mid 13 volts.

Some OBD-II voltages from my OBDLink MX bluetooth device/app:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/moble...ml#post4616052
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I just ordered two:

He listed it at $24 & free shipping now. And the listing is still saying to use the No Time Out option.

Love that heat shrink tubing job.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
He listed it at $24 & free shipping now. And the listing is still saying to use the No Time Out option.

Love that heat shrink tubing job.

$24 & free shipping is what it was when I offered $44 for TWO ($4 discount). Heh, it's SOMETHING!

The $30 plus shipping I referenced was from a previous poster's link.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Officially according to the manual the Mobley accepts Voltage from 9-16VDC, but drops into power saver mode below 11.5-11.7VDC (real would test imply that this number may be 11.7 - 12.0 VDC).
Here is the actual quotes from the ZTE Mobley Mobile Hotspot User Guide

Quote:
Working Voltage
Your mobile hotspot is a Wi-Fi hotspot without a battery. The power
is supplied through the vehicle’s OBD II connector port. The voltage
range is from 9V to 16V. If the OBD II voltage drops to 11.5V, your
mobile hotspot will go into Protection mode to ensure that the car
battery remains capable of restarting
• When the timer expires or the voltage drops below 11.5V, the device
would normally enter Power Save mode. However, if FOTA activity is
detected, the Power Save timer will be disabled temporarily and not
restart until the FOTA has been completed.
• There can be a ±0.2V tolerance when measuring OBD II voltage.
The OBD II voltage threshold for entering Power Save mode is
between 11.3V and 11.7V

I'm betting Ike is correct on the 12.0V threshold on the bottom. I am interested to see his final test results.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #35

^^^

11.5 volts would be like a car having a dead battery, that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the new firmware changes that low voltage point.

Isaac-1 is testing on his bench and 13.1 volts is still putting his to sleep.

Quote:
I am doing some testing on this using a CC CV bench variable power supply in CV mode today with the new Mobley set for 30 minute time out, results so far are at below 12.5VDC Mobley shuts off at the 30 minute mark, testing at 12.9VDC now, will post back with updates.
Quote:
I have not found minimum stable voltage to keep the Mobley running yet, got side tracked on pulling deep cycle batteries, will try to get back to it tomorrow. As of now it is still shutting down after 30 minute timeout at 13.1VDC. Amp draw bounces around a lot, ranging from 40ma to 290 ma with 1 wifi device connected running fast.com speed test or streaming youtube. I assume transmit power variation is part of it as sometimes while running fast.com speed test it will peak around 190 ma, other times as high as 290ma, I never tried connecting more than 1 wifi device. This was in a location with 1 bar of LTE service, streaming test came out around 3 - 9 mbps.

I have some other info to post and will do so in that Mobley Problem thread.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Another power adapter I have confirmed works with the Mobley and will not trip low voltage shutdown is the SEL HT72005 (available pre-owned on ebay for about $12), the ones being sold as replacements for the HT72005 may or may not work for this. If someone buys one of these "replacement" models available in bulk and it works, please post back with your results.

The HT72005 brick runs much cooler than the Jameco listed above, and output is closer to ideal voltage range for the Mobley, even though it is marked 12VDC, the actual output at low loads is closer to 15.5VDC, and at about 15.2VDC on my Mobley while streaming video. Officially according to the manual the Mobley accepts Voltage from 9-16VDC, but drops into power saver mode below 11.5-11.7VDC (real would test imply that this number may be 11.7 - 12.0 VDC). The Jameco adapter above puts out over 17VDC at typical Mobley operating draw, which is slightly above the rated 16VDC range.

Ike

p.s. I tested several other light weight so called 12VDC power adapters I had laying around with output ranges of 500ma to 1000ma all had no load outputs ranging between 12.0 - 12.4 VDC the ones at the upper end of this range might be high enough to keep the Mobley running, though it may be hit or miss

Do you have a link for the ones you prefer?
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #37

Sorry I don't as I have just been testing whatever I have been able to find in scrap parts drawers or could be borrowed from other devices. After testing several wall wart style DC power supplies, all of the ones marked as 12VDC over 300 ma output that I have tested that contain a transformer (heavier ones) have worked (actual output voltage being somewhat higher than the marked 12VDC, typically 15.7-15.9VDC), where as only 1 out of 4 or 5 of the light weight ones that are indicative of a switch mode power supply will keep the Mobley awake past its sleep timer timeout.

If you would like an educated guess of a power supply that will likely work and is available in bulk cheap I would pick this one from ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jameco-Reli...t/122167946201 Though you would still have to connect it to the appropriate input pins on the Mobley (pin 16 positive, and pin 4 or pin 5 for negative) possibly using an OBDII pigtail like this one from Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F16HC12/ (note I just assembled one today using this OBDII pigtail and the wiring color code on the listing is wrong, instead the one I received had the purple wire being pin 16 positive, and the negative was a dark green wire)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

Once we receive our Mobley, I will activate it using one of 2 methods:

1. Calling 866-895-1099, enter phone number assigned to Mobley and follow prompts.

Or

2. Go Online to: Att.com/activations , enter Phone number associated with Mobley and follow prompts.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
So I should have done #1 above to activate the first time. I already knew that there was a great chance that the Sim info in AT&T's system would not match the one actually shipped to me.

I tried on their website, error cannot activate your device.

Called the number in the Mobley Quick Start Guide (it's not the one above). Gave the Rep the last 4 of the Sim Card. She said the Sim is already activated/in Use, you have to go to an AT&T store to have them activate it for you. I said thank you and hung up.

Called 866-895-1099, tried the activation through the Auto-Attendant and said couldn't activate please hold while we transfer you to a Rep.

Spoke to the Rep, verified Account Holder info and asked me to read the entire ICCID (Sim) number. It was different from what they had in the system. He put me on hold and came back and said all set, unplug the Mobley for 10 minutes and then plug it back in - you will be activated.

So, I recommend you just call 866-895-1099 as Matt D posted to activate your Mobley, try to activate via the auto system and if needed, wait to get transferred. Have your Mobley box ready.

Impressed with the performance of AT&T's LTE and Mobley here vs our VZW service. Both 2 bars.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I just ordered two:

Hit_the_Rhod...
Have you had a chance to test the e-Bay power supplies. Does the Mobley continue to run after two hours?
MartyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #40

Interesting... fyi after a bit of research. From the Howard Forums, a bunch of electronic geek types.....

The Mobley update may not be that big a deal. The time-out interval starts when voltage on the input is approximately 12 volts, meaning that the alternator is not online and thus the engine is turned off. A voltage input above some value (maybe 13 volts-ish) indicates the opposite, that the voltage is higher than battery alone and thus the engine is running... and in that mode it won't time out. So with an external power supply above the cutoff voltage the Mobley would have no way of knowing that it wasn't in a vehicle. The problem is that most 12-volt power supplies out there are, well, 12-volt, and in the range that the Mobley will assume that the engine is not running, and thuis subject to the time-out. If you want to run it on home AC power then you can buy a 13.5-volt adapter (Digi-Key has them for under ten bucks), and likewise an RV on shore power would have a battery charger engaged that would keep the voltage above 13.2 or so, even at float voltage. This is perhaps why the Mobile RV video reported that some users are saying that 'it still doesn't time out even with the new software'... because it may not, depending on input voltage. Where the new software would be a PITA is perhaps in a boondocking RV where battery voltage is nominally below 13 volts, but in that case you can always cycle power every couple of hours.

Kind of a silly move by AT&T really since anyone who is intent on using a Mobley in a fixed scenario is going to find a way around the software change, and everyone else will just be annoyed, probably without any significant impact on usage. Corporate thinking at its best.
MartyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #41

My battery voltage is 13.5......no time outs in the last 2 weeks..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyQQ View Post
Hit_the_Rhod...
Have you had a chance to test the e-Bay power supplies. Does the Mobley continue to run after two hours?
Marty, yes I have, unfortunately one was dead out of the box (poor solder joint which I fixed), and both of them are only rated at 12vdc. The mobley's time out after 30 minutes of non-use, which appears to be the factory default.

I am going to use the same plugs, and get 14vdc output power supplies and fix the problem.

Oh, and another problem which I noted on the other ongoing Mobley thread is the website ATnT steers you to change defaults, password and/or device name, http://attwifimanager is available for purchase, NOT owned by ATnT and NOT affiliated with ATnT, so I can't figure out how to access the device to change the factory defaults. Customer service is useless, insisting the website is functional, until you tell them to sign on to it . . .