Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 AM   #1429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Hmm...............ordered a Mobley today from ATT, and the "unlimited" plan with SD streaming for $65 a month. I guess I'll see if it really doesn't let you use it as a Hotspot ...............if so I'll just cancel it and (hopefully) wait until a better plan comes along...............
Well got my answer...........they just cancelled my order, without any explanation.
I'm done with these people, and I guess I will be looking for an alternative solution.
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #1430

Evergreen Owners Club
AT&T = All Time Tragedy.
evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #1431

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, say what you will about corporate practices, but I got in early enough with the $20 Connected Car plan and am saving $50 per month. I don’t know how long it will last, of course, but every month it continues, the more I’m ahead.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #1432
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Well, say what you will about corporate practices, but I got in early enough with the $20 Connected Car plan and am saving $50 per month. I don’t know how long it will last, of course, but every month it continues, the more I’m ahead.

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #1433

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Well got my answer...........they just cancelled my order, without any explanation.
I'm done with these people, and I guess I will be looking for an alternative solution.
My order was initially cancelled. Called and found it was due to identification issue. I was having it shipped to other than home address as we were on the road. Raised a red flag in their system. They have so much fraud.

Fix was to go to a corporate store where they could confirm my identity F2F.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #1434

Wait'n to see how mine works this winter in the desert.....have tried and true Verison as a back up......will know by next Sunday...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
My order was initially cancelled. Called and found it was due to identification issue. I was having it shipped to other than home address as we were on the road. Raised a red flag in their system. They have so much fraud.

Fix was to go to a corporate store where they could confirm my identity F2F.
Yes, when an order is canceled it is usually due to an identity confirmation issue (AT&T is very strict with credit) and nothing to do with the plan. But they sure could handle the situation more smoothly than they do.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #1436

Quote:
It seems pretty likely that the $20 Connected Car DataConnect plan will be grandfathered for the foreseeable future. If they terminated the plan they would have to waive early termination fees for contracts and even if not on contract they wouldn't want the blowback of telling customers who specifically bought equipment for the plan that it is being canceled only a month or two later, they'd almost have to take all that equipment back. It would be highly improbable that AT&T would do either so anyone on the plan now is probably good for quite some time. That has always been AT&T's practice in the past.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #1437

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Yes, when an order is canceled it is usually due to an identity confirmation issue (AT&T is very strict with credit) and nothing to do with the plan. But they sure could handle the situation more smoothly than they do.
When they canceled my order due to ID it said so in the email notice I got.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1438

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
We have to face it, someone at ATT made a huge mistake including the ZTE Mobley Hotspot in the ATT Connected Car $ 20 per month for unlimited program, if that person had realized that it could become a general purpose mobile hotspot with a $ 20 cable, it never would have seen the light of day in the first place. As a retired Sprint principal network engineer, I'm still surprised it took ATT so long to admit their error and mark the price plan unavailable for new device activations.

From the research I have done in the past few days for a friend who is transitioning to full time RVing, even now priced at $ 90 per month it is still the best unlimited data plan with unlimited WiFi data that has nationwide including rural United States coverage. I believe it is the ONLY unlimited hotspot data plan available for new device activations that has nationwide coverage including rural.

It is still the way to go if you need more than 5 Gigabytes of data per month. If you need unlimited hotspot data but don't need rural coverage then there are some cheaper choices in the $ 50 to $ 60 range from resellers that use Tmobile or Sprint networks. Be sure to check their coverage where you need it to work with the device you bought, BEFORE your X days you are allowed to cancel the contract and not pay termination fees kick in. DON'T BELIEVE THEIR COVERAGE MAP, CHECK WITH YOUR DEVICE.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #1439

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Randy,

Since you have done all the research — why not a Verizon hot spot? I currently pay $65/mo for unlimited shared data plus $20 each for phone and hot spot. I'm really interested in streaming standard definition video in Quartzsite this winter. I know I can get Verizon there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Randy,

Since you have done all the research — why not a Verizon hot spot? I currently pay $65/mo for unlimited shared data plus $20 each for phone and hot spot. I'm really interested in streaming standard definition video in Quartzsite this winter. I know I can get Verizon there.
On the "new" unlimited plans, they slow you to 3G after 10GB.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #1441

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
On the "new" unlimited plans, they slow you to 3G after 10GB.
Actually now it is 15 GB. But I use 40 GB with a modem so no new Verizon plan for me.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #1442

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Randy,

I was researching hotspot data plans for my friend, she has antenna TV suplemented by a Roku Streaming TV box, that she uses for streaming subscription TV (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.) at home via a fixed high speed internet provider and was hoping to continue doing that as she transitions to full time RV living. So I am trying to find the most cost effective way to provide unlimited data to a Roku box, including in rural areas.

If all she wanted to do was watch TV thru phone apps, or wanted low def TV fed from a phone to her HDTV in the RV, then it would be a different research project.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote