Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #1471

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I never thought the 5 device limit to connect to the mobley would be a problem. Now with 2 computers, 2 tablets, 2 Google Chromes (which still leaves the outdoor TV without connectivity), a Roku and an Amazon Echo I have to juggle devices.
The limit is five simultaneous devices so unless you are using more than five of those at the same time then you should be OK. But if that proves to be a problem you can tether the Mobley to a small travel router as was discussed earlier in the thread.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #1472

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I never thought the 5 device limit to connect to the mobley would be a problem. Now with 2 computers, 2 tablets, 2 Google Chromes (which still leaves the outdoor TV without connectivity), a Roku and an Amazon Echo I have to juggle devices.

But at $20/month unlimited data I'll just have to make do.

Order one of these:

GL.iNet GL-MT300A Mini Travel Router with 2dbi external antenna, Wi-Fi Converter, OpenWrt Pre-installed, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM, OpenVPN, Tor Compatible

——————————-

Works like a charm!
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Order one of these:

GL.iNet GL-MT300A Mini Travel Router with 2dbi external antenna, Wi-Fi Converter, OpenWrt Pre-installed, Repeater Bridge, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM, OpenVPN, Tor Compatible

——————————-

Works like a charm!
I gave one (mt300a) a shot but had a huge drop in measured (via speedtest.net) in download speed (also visually noticeable with page loads). Consistently dropped from 17 to 4 or 5. Can you tell me what your settings are?
Thanks.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #1474
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You can buy a router that hooks into the Mobley and gives you unlimited. I don't recall which one but not the normal household router......................
X2!
I have a Pepwave Surf on the Go router. All of my wireless devices connect to the Pepwave. Then, I tell the Pepwave to look to the Mobley for Internet access.

I also have a hardwired LAN connection between my Pepwave and my network enabled printer. The printer has Ethernet capability, but does not have wireless Ethernet. So, the Pepwave is located near the printer with a LAN cable between the two of them. All of the laptops can use the printer (once they are "found" and "installed" on each laptop). IIRC, it can support up to 10 wireless devices. (You may want to double check that before you purchase any router.)

I do not have the model number of the Pepwave readily available. But I believe this is it:

https://3gstore.com/product/3498_sur...4g-router.html

Talk to the folks at 3gstore.com. They are very helpful. Tell them what you are trying to do, and they will advise. Current price for the router is 119.00. Considering what we save by using the Mobley, this was an easy decision.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #1475

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I gave one (mt300a) a shot but had a huge drop in measured (via speedtest.net) in download speed (also visually noticeable with page loads). Consistently dropped from 17 to 4 or 5. Can you tell me what your settings are?
Thanks.
Probably due to the WiFi signal from router. Could be distance, blocking from wall etc. or interference. If placed next to the Mobley should have no less than 1/2 the speed.

It looks like you can tether that one to the Mobley with a USB cable and get full speed.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #1476

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Probably due to the WiFi signal from router. Could be distance, blocking from wall etc. or interference. If placed next to the Mobley should have no less than 1/2 the speed.

It looks like you can tether that one to the Mobley with a USB cable and get full speed.
Thanks John,
It's not a distance problem or anything blocking it. Could be a slow VPN problem. Tried some variations of settings and I can make it worse
Old 10-31-2017, 02:12 PM   #1477

Monaco Owners Club
Mobley signal goes away at times

I have had my Mobley sense June with the unlimited plan for $ 20.00 per month.
It works great at home and in the moho. BUT at lot of times at home it will lose the signal and all I have to do is turn it off and back on and all is good?
I turn it off at night and back on the AM.
Phil B
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
I have had my Mobley sense June with the unlimited plan for $ 20.00 per month.
It works great at home and in the moho. BUT at lot of times at home it will lose the signal and all I have to do is turn it off and back on and all is good?
I turn it off at night and back on the AM.
There are a number of reports of this problem. I don't think anyone has figured out the exact cause for certain, the usual fix for those who want 24-hour access is to use a timer to power-cycle the Mobley once a day sometime in the middle of the night. This covers up the problem for most even if it doesn't really fix it.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I don't think anyone has figured out the exact cause for certain......

I believe the cause is related to the fact that the Mobley was never designed to be on 24/7 and used as a primary source for internet access. It is a mobile device designed to run for shorter cycles in a vehicle.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #1480

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
There are a number of reports of this problem. I don't think anyone has figured out the exact cause for certain, the usual fix for those who want 24-hour access is to use a timer to power-cycle the Mobley once a day sometime in the middle of the night. This covers up the problem for most even if it doesn't really fix it.

Like I said in my post I DO turn it off every night.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #1481

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
I believe the cause is related to the fact that the Mobley was never designed to be on 24/7 and used as a primary source for internet access. It is a mobile device designed to run for shorter cycles in a vehicle.
There are times when this happens it has only been turned on for a hour or so.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
There are times when this happens it has only been turned on for a hour or so.

Then maybe there is something else going on. Maybe try another power supply. Not the same issue but mine did the same then I learned how to turn the time out off.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #1483

I find that page load times on my Mobley get slow if it has been running for more than about 12-18 hours, I simply cycle the power on it and let it reboot which seems to solve the problem at least for another 12 hours or so.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #1484

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Then maybe there is something else going on. Maybe try another power supply. Not the same issue but mine did the same then I learned how to turn the time out off.
I have had it set to never turn off from day one.