Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #1779

Very decent review and tip video for the Mobley.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #1780

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
That’s correct ,
but where can you get a mobley device. I have seen none for sale on line except to maybe t-mobile..I have att service and they are not available from them. hence my previous post about using the att chip in some other type of hotspot device. should be like our phones. we own our phones and dont have a contract with any body. just transfer the chip to next phone when we upgrade.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
but where can you get a mobley device. I have seen none for sale on line except to maybe t-mobile..I have att service and they are not available from them. hence my previous post about using the att chip in some other type of hotspot device. should be like our phones. we own our phones and dont have a contract with any body. just transfer the chip to next phone when we upgrade.

It doesn't matter if you can get a Mobley or a chip. The Connected Car Unlimited Plan is no longer available from AT&T, it ended in the latter part of 2017.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #1782

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just received the new Winegard ConnecT2 this week. When our new coach arrives next month, I plan on taking the Sim card from the Mobley and use it in the Winegard. I know I have to get up on the roof to change the card, nut I am hoping for maybe better reception in areas. But at least one less device laying around the coach.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #1783

I use T-Mobile hotspot and looking at this camera system as well. You can see all around you while driving and have security too.

https://www.amazon.com/OWLEYE-degree.../dp/B079GJ1585

cody pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #1784

Quote:
but where can you get a mobley device.
There are No new unlimited plans for the Mobley from AT&T. If you really want a mobley, for some other reason AT&T has them come in from time to time but they go fast and you would probably have to sign up for a low data usage plan to get it, I think they were 2gb and 10 gb or maybe it was 5 gb.
BUT, that said, the connected car plan (CCP) is still available, but NOT for the Mobley. If you own a newer Toad you can probably get the Unlimited CCP for it. And if you are towing it behind your RV, the car is your now your unlimited plan hotspot. You may have to find someone to wire that radio so you don't need to leave the car in "accessory" mode all the time , or you could keep the battery charged via your pigtail if you or someone hook that up.
That could be a great solution if you have an RV WiFi system to distribute it in the coach as for most of us the TOAD is pretty far back there. It might even work without an internal WiFi, but you would have to try it first to know. I have no idea how powerful a signal they would put out, But, I'm pretty sure my Nanostation http://amzn.to/2FFSWX7 and Internal WiFi gateway http://amzn.to/2IuIpeW would work well for that application. I often have my Nanostation connected to the Mobley. That gets around the 5 device limit immediately, and no one needs to redo their wireless connections on each device no matter what the source of our WiFi.
Check out David Bott's Tutorial on setting up a system, he is amazingly good at showing how to set that up so it works in his "less than $100 video".

So, in summary, you can still get the unlimited AT&T plan for $20 a month, but not on a Mobley anymore. Thankfully when I saw the deal last year I jumped on it, one of the best investments I've been apart of.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #1785

I would sign up for that 20$ connected car plan if I could figure out how to get the signal in my trailer when parked and not have the ignition on in the truck. I would never need it in the truck. I already have a wifi booster in my trailer for those camps that have weak wifi.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #1786

Quote:
I would sign up for that 20$ connected car plan if I could figure out how to get the signal in my trailer when parked and not have the ignition on in the truck. I would never need it in the truck. I already have a wifi booster in my trailer for those camps that have weak wifi.
We have an Equinox with a builtin LTE hotspot and are using the $20 plan for it as a backup. We installed a battery charger to keep the battery alive and then figured how to keep the accessories on since the 2018 Equinox does not have an ignition switch.
We already had a SURD Pepwave SOHO router in the RV that can pickup WiFi-as-Wan that usually pickups up park WiFi and rebroadcasts in the RV. Picking up the LTE hotspot was easy.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #1787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
We have an Equinox with a builtin LTE hotspot and are using the $20 plan for it as a backup.
Did AT&T ask for the Equinox's VIN?

CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #1788

I subscribed via OnStar and they have the VIN.

Remember this is a built-in hotspot that cannot be taken out of the vehicle like the Mobley. That is why AT&T kept it as it is not so easily abused.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #1789

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
$20 Unlimited Data with ZTE Mobley Device

Keep in mind that is a Onstar plan . It’s 20 bucks flat .. no tax added and Is billed and controlled via onstar not att. Yes att is the service it uses but like a mvno it’S Onstar I deal with on my volts internet not ATT
My understanding was that connected car was ATT’S solution to offer those without a current WiFi enabled OnStar car to have internet in the car while driving , for kids in the backseat to use or business use ( real estate , job estimator) . They still offer it but at very low limited plans.
The Mobley was intended in my opinion, for car use only since it only works in a car OBD port. Others provided a workaround adapter to use the Mobley outside the car not att. I have them and they work well ! it’s only my opinion here , but I believe ATT didn’t intend it for permanent online hotspot use. If they did there are much better devices they could sell you to provide a hotspot that are mobile and work better. Their attempt was to provide a Onstar “like” device that only works while in the car , self limiting its ability and usage!

If your trying to buy a mobley to use as a hotspot outside the car without the Mobley unlimited “plan” (and you can’t because it’s not a availabe plan) don’t . Buy a better hotspot device upfront not cluge of adapters and limitations that the Mobley is and requires . The Mobley is a only fair hotspot when compared to others.
Just my opinion and others disagree strongly. I get that
I’m happy to not push to hard against ATT as the plan is to valuable to risk
I haven’t seen any workaround for the integrated Onstar to keep it powered with the car off. My volt has a advantage in that I can keep it on and plugged in ( electric car) tricking it to stay on. It’s a useful backup.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #1790

There are only 2 pins in the Mobley that need to be used.......get an adaptor for the live cigar style plug in ......the pins needed are idenified way back in this thread...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #1791
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Very decent review and tip video for the Mobley.

In the video he mentions tethering a device through the USB connector on the side of the Mobley. Would that work to connect a wireless router for my LAN?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #1792

Yup, you find a router with a usb input and you're in.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote