Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #2283

After using my Mobley ZTE for 2 years I decided to upgrade to the ZTE Velocity Mobile WiFi hotspot. Who knows how long these things actually last so it seemed to make sense to spend the $56 on a new Velocity unit before I actually needed it.
By the way, it was very easy to move the sim card from the old unit and install it in the new. It powered up and has worked flawlessly for the past 48 hours. For $20 plus tax and other charges, I'm paying $24.76 a month for unlimited WiFi. If there is a better deal out there, please post the information.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #2284

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I just called and got the Mobley and the $20 "unlimited" plan. The first agent I spoke to tried to transfer me.. I asked him to just search for the plan, he apparently found it but then wanted the vehicle VIN. He then said the vehicle wasn't qualified. I hung up and dialed right back.. got another rep and this time only asked for the ZTE Mobley plan.. it went right thru, did not ask for the VIN #. Got it for $20 per month and its being shipped at no charge, supposed to be here in 2 - 3 days. I have the confirmation from ATT. So.. we shall now see if I get it and that everything works as it is supposed to. Thanks for letting us know the plan is back in - I missed out on it the first time.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #2285

Hopefully AT&T won't require a VIN # to ship you the sim card. It was also my understanding that the new Mobleys will have to be reset every 2 hrs.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #2286

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Hopefully AT&T won't require a VIN # to ship you the sim card. It was also my understanding that the new Mobleys will have to be reset every 2 hrs.
I got in on the first batch of Mobleys in 2017. About 4 months ago ours got the update that took away the unlimited setting so it’s back to 2 hours. That 2 hours only kicks in when the power goes below a certain voltage. I’m using a USB connection to a 12V adapter and we’re not restarted ours in about 2 months. That’s not to say they don’t force other updates later but I’m pretty happy not to have to reset it. If it gets to a point where I need to I will just switch over to a 110v and plug into a Wemo switch that I can program to stop and start every x hours.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #2287

I have seen that is plan is back, sure hope so. We have three that work perfect and the total bill is just under $70 with all the tax and and ons. I am still using my original mobelys, as they work fine.
If this plan is back and does not have some bad restrictions, better jump on it.
I think the prepaid Verizon prepaid unlimited it about $75 a month for just one.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #2288

Thom, my Mobley broke after about 6 months usage. I wanted more than the 5 device limitation due to tablets, computers, chromcast, roku, etc.
When the Mobley broke I got a netgear MiFi unit before AT&T updated the Mobley sim to include the PUC or PIN or whatever they did.

I'm a happy camper. Someday AT&T may penalize me and take away my netgear MiFi connectivity, but so far I'm much happier without the Mobley. And I don't have that silly 2 hr limitation.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #2289

It is possible to get around the 5 device restriction, though at a slight reduction in throughput on a Mobley by tethering through the hidden USB port, I did a write up on it here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/addin...ey-361203.html though I may have left out the step where you have to explicitly set DNS on the USB router as the Mobley does not hand out DNS settings over the USB connection. I use googles free DNS server at 8.8.8.8 on mine
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #2290

I also got in on the original Mobley and Unlimited deal and have been very happy with it. It’s usually plugged into my F350’s port. When camped we use the USB adapter inside the trailer to power it, but like someone mentioned, they did away with the unlimited on setting and the max is two hours. Sort of a bummer to have to reset it in the middle of a streaming movie. [emoji2957]
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #2291

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I just called and got the Mobley (free with 2 year commitment) and the "unlimited" plan added to our account. The order went right thru, did not ask for the VIN. Got it for $20 per month and its being shipped at no charge.

If I get the WiFi Router 4g Modem With SIM Card Slot Access Point Router Wireless Repeater WE826 should I get the 4G US version 1 or 2? Is there a better one? I also have the Verizon MiFi 8800L

Figured it was best to have it in its new home when I activate it.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #2292

Fred, I helped a family member order one on Thursday (I have a Mobley from the 2017 batch), it arrived the next day, and I helped get it up and going, it did not work out of the box (only 1 green light), and when I went to the at&t activations web page, I found that the IMEI number matched the account, but that the ICCID /SIM # was wrong in the account. This lead to a call to customer support, where we went a few rounds, before getting them to understand the Mobley has no keypad or display, they eventually agreed the numbers did not match. At first they wanted me to go to an AT&T store to exchange the SIM, after telling them the nearest store was about 20 miles away, they were able to change the account information to match the SIM that was actually shipped in the Mobley. After that the Mobley started working fine with both green lights lit.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #2293

Monaco Owners Club
The customer service person told me that I should expect that to happen...
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #2294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
, though at a slight reduction in throughput on a Mobley by tethering through the hidden USB port
Why do you say that? People have seen increased speeds tethering, too.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #2295

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Folks, the firmware updated made another change to your Mobley setup. ATT gave the SIM card a PIN. If the SIM is in the Mobley there is no problem. However, if you take out the SIM - now after the update - and put it in another device, like a Unite MiFi you’ll get a locked PIN error.

If you knew the PIN you could unlock it, but ATT isn’t telling. There’s a knowledge base article that says the default PIN in 1111. But that’s not working.

Luckily, if you move the SIM back to the Mobley it will work normally. Also if your SIM has been in a device other than your Mobley all along you don’t have any issues either. But, if you put the SIM in the Mobley now it will download the update and apply the “secret” PIN number to the SIM card.

By the way, you only get 3 attempts at entering a correct PIN before really locking it up. But, if you do fail three times you can contact ATT and get a PUC number to not only unlock the PIN but also reset the PIN to a number you control.

Either ATT is trying very hard to limit our usage of the Mobley or they have simply messed things up with this update. I’m pretty confident this is deliberate. I wonder what other “restrictions” they’ll come up with?

By the way, the Mobley replacement they are now offering gives an idea as to how they are fixing this going forward - it won’t work outside of the OBD port at all and automatically turns off all the time.
This is very interesting, as I have just purchased a NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem, but have not yet moved the sim to it. My Mobley, purchased from AT&T in 2017 (yes, I paid $200 to AT&T for it, but that's another story), has been powered on and off many times since I've had it. So chances are that it has the latest software "updates".

So my question is if when installed in the Netgear, if it doesn't work, what did you say to get the new PUC/PIN, and did you call a local store, the Mobley customer number, or some other number?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #2296

anyone know of a link to add to my account? Didnt feel like calling but I might add one more to the account. Will call if I really need too.