Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #2339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
I posted a comment to him "I purchased your device on April 3, 2017 and when the firmware update was download the device DOES shut off every two hours."
We will see what he says. Perhaps the device was changed after the firmware was changed.

I just started a batch file to ping the device every 10 minutes.
Code:
@echo off
:reping
ping 192.168.1.1
timeout /t 600 /nobreak
 goto reping
So we will see if that works.
I purchased their adapter last weekend, also sent them a message (via Amazon) and emailed them about this. I should have the adapter in a couple days (unless snow issues around here) and I have a brand new Mobley.

I also posted their Company website in this post here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/moble...ml#post4618240

Seems like a company that could provide a solution. He was not aware of the new firmware being pushed but he said they knew 2-3 years back the Mobley could go to sleep, their adapter is 14v.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #2340

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
I ordered this last week and hopefully it will be delivered soon. Ultimately I would like to move the SIM to my Cradlepoint IBR router, but if I can’t get the PUK code to unlock it then this is my fallback plan.

Bill
Yea, I think your primary plan is the best one, but if that doesn't work, then hopefully the AC adapter works.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #2341

For what it's worth, I just purchased one of the Mobley units from AT&T a week ago. I transferred the sim to a Netgear 815S mobile hotspot that I got on Amazon. I had to call AT&T for the sim unlock code, but then it worked just fine.

Cyrus
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #2342

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusL View Post
For what it's worth, I just purchased one of the Mobley units from AT&T a week ago. I transferred the sim to a Netgear 815S mobile hotspot that I got on Amazon. I had to call AT&T for the sim unlock code, but then it worked just fine.

Cyrus

Anything “special” you needed to ask for or mention to get the unlock code?
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM   #2343

Quote:

I know that this question wasn’t directed at me, but I’ll be glad to share what I did.

Called AT&T support. Told them I’d managed to lock my SIM and was being prompted for my PUK code.

When they asked how I did this, I told them I was trying to reset my SIM to my own code to make it more secure. That I read online that all AT&T SIM code were defaulted to 1111. I went on to tell them I had tried 1111 3 times and was now being prompted for my PUK code.

They provided it to me.

With all that said, you could just tell them you want it and avoid all the other discussion.

With the SIM unlocked, I moved it into a NetGear Nighthawk LTE. Better reception, faster, up to 20 connected devices, and no timeout.

Yes. . . It did cost a little more.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusL View Post

Cyrus
As I'm not a fan of leaving phones/hotspots with batteries plugged in all the time, since that's not what they are designed for, and some (I know Verizon) will shut down after x hours to avoid battery damage/swell, I went with a pure LTE modem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That only works if paired with a router (no hotspot built in), which I use anyway (small linksys travel router). If you leave it in the RV, then a dedicated LTE modem like this has some advantages and arguably is a bit safer/more reliable to leave plugged in all the time, such as if you want to leave cameras or temp sensors running when you aren't in RV.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #2345

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
As I'm not a fan of leaving phones/hotspots with batteries plugged in all the time, since that's not what they are designed for, and some (I know Verizon) will shut down after x hours to avoid battery damage/swell, I went with a pure LTE

Understand your position completely. That’s why I went with the Nighthawk LTE. It works with or without the battery in it.

I charged the battery, but then removed it. The Nighthawk is now powered by the USB port alone, with the charged battery stored away safely. My Nighthawk will live most of its life this way, but I can always pop the battery back in and go mobile if I want.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
I just started a batch file to ping the device every 10 minutes.
My results.

The test failed. The device powered off after 2 hours.
I set the ping time to 1 minute and retested. The device powered off after 2 hours.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #2347

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Understand your position completely. That’s why I went with the Nighthawk LTE. It works with or without the battery in it.

I charged the battery, but then removed it. The Nighthawk is now powered by the USB port alone, with the charged battery stored away safely. My Nighthawk will live most of its life this way, but I can always pop the battery back in and go mobile if I want.
Good to know. I might check out the Nighthawk then, as it would be best of both worlds and has some of the newer bands that my LTE modem does not.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #2348

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
As I'm not a fan of leaving phones/hotspots with batteries plugged in all the time, since that's not what they are designed for, and some (I know Verizon) will shut down after x hours to avoid battery damage/swell, I went with a pure LTE modem.
Good point, the old Motorola Bionic I was thinking of already swelled it's first battery within the first 12 months when I used it, probably is why I received 2 extra batteries when I purchased it from Verizon.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #2349

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Good point, the old Motorola Bionic I was thinking of already swelled it's first battery within the first 12 months when I used it, probably is why I received 2 extra batteries when I purchased it from Verizon.

Some will operate with battery removed, some won't.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #2350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Just make sure it is not marked SEL HT72005 compatible or replacement, as those may not have the same components inside. I look forward to hearing your confirmation on this model.

Ike

p.s. if anyone orders the above mentioned transformer model, please post back if it works as that would give us something to point people to that is available in bulk instead of one off pre-owned units.

The SEL HT72005 power supply arrived. Is as pictured. Listed output voltage is 12 VDC. Does not say "compatible" or "replacement" Have a question. The open circuit voltage is 18.9 VDC. When the Mobley is attached, the power supply voltage is 15.6 VDC. Was hesitant to let it run at this voltage. What think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT72005.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	234756  
MartyQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #2351

The Mobley manual says it accepts voltages up to 16VDC so you should be fine at 15.6VDC running. If it worries you then you could add a power diode inline with it to drop the voltage, you can get a solar panel power diode for under $1 on ebay.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #2352

Quote:
I just said that I was messing with stuff and that it's now asking for my unlock PIN. The support person was happy to help.
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote