Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #2451

Why not add a router that has a USB port and tether to the router from the Mobley. The router would offer many more connections than you need.

Edit: Ahh, Sue46 types faster than I do.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #2452
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another vote for adding a router to get more than 5 connections.

I use a Pepwave Surf On-The-Go wireless router. I hear that it is no longer in production. But, there are other routers out there that will work well.

In our setup we have our printer hardwired (LAN) connection to the router. (I did not want to replace a perfectly good printer with a wireless printer.) All of our devices (phones, laptops, tablets, Firestick) connect to the router wirelessly.

The router and the printer are setup next to each other to make the ethernet cable run easy. The hotspot is located in another area. All of the user devices can be anywhere within range, of course.

The router connects (wirelessly) to the Mobley. We also have a Verizon Mifi as a backup hotspot if the ATT signal is weak or non-existent at our location. The router is setup to find either hotspot automatically. So, all of our devices only need to find the router. The router finds the Internet for us. We have been using this setup for at over 3 years.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #2453

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the same setup as cwk, I use a Cradlepoint router, also no longer sold. I have a HooToo Travel Router as a backup, only $25. Any "WiFi as WAN" router will work. Printer and Firestick are connected to router and router connects to either Mobley or Verizonwireless MiFi.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #2454

Its an expensive solution but I got a nighthawk. Now I have a 20 unit limit and greater reception. At least better than the Mobley. Got the idea from earlier posts. The battery last about 12 hours when not plugged in and in use.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #2455

Definitely a way to go

I went the MOFI route for ease of external antennas and technical customability.
HeadShed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #2456

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShed View Post
Definitely a way to go

I went the MOFI route for ease of external antennas and technical customability.
What is a [ MOFI ] ?
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Its an expensive solution but I got a nighthawk. Now I have a 20 unit limit and greater reception. At least better than the Mobley. Got the idea from earlier posts. The battery last about 12 hours when not plugged in and in use.

I did that with a Netgear MiFi unit a year and a half ago when my Mobley broke and before AT&T added the PUC to the sim card.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
What is a [ MOFI ] ?
Maybe this?
Home
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
What is a [ MOFI ] ?

https://amzn.to/2Iv46Ot

Lte modem
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #2460

Quote:
Did you end up using external antennae or just the factory small ones ?
rbreding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie View Post
I think AT&T figured a way to lock the sim to the mobley. I have three for the last couple of years. I was having trouble getting on one, later found it had 5 connections so would not connect, but I thought something was wrong so I pushed the reset. Lost the unlimited so makes use a little more of a problem. Decided I would try to upgrade to night hawk, got the PUK and put it in a night hawk. Says locked, can not access it to unlock it. There may be a workaround but I am getting so much for so little I hate to gamble. 175gb on one last month.
I don't have a problem with speed, I do wish i had more that 5 connections.
So you tried a PIN (anyone) three times, then used the PUK AT&T gave you?

Also, I thought I read somewhere after you use the PUK, do a change/reset PIN, enter a PIN of your choice and confirm, ignore errors. The new PIN seems to stick.

That info is in this thread or one of the other Mobley threads, I'll see if I can find the post.

EDIT: These Posts
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/20-un...ml#post4643503

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
CoachStreamr,

I did receive both my PUK1 and PUK2 codes. When I asked, they initially just gave me PUK1, but then I told them I also needed PUK2, and it was provided. . . but I did have to ask.

I put my Mobely SIM into a NetGear Nighthawk LTE. I then went to the Admin page, SIM Security Settings. There was an option to "Deactivate" SIM Security. When I clicked that button, I was prompted for the SIM PIN (4 digit code). I entered "1111" then clicked OK. I repeated this 3 more times until I got the message "SIM Locked, Please Enter PUK code".

And here's the part I want you to pay special attention to. . . I was on a page that had three fields. A field to enter the PUK code, then a field to enter a new SIM code, and a 3rd field to Verify the new SIM code.

1) I enter the 8 digit PUK provided by AT&T support.

2) Entered my new SIM code

3) Entered the new SIM code again for verification.

This is where things got weird. The Admin App responded with "Invalid PUK Code".

So I tried it again, and again. . . "Invalid PUK Code"

I exited out of the SIM Security page then immediately went back in. It appeared exactly the same as the first time with the "Deactivate" SIM Security button just as before.

Just on a whim, I clicked the "Deactivate" SIM Security button. I was prompted for my SIM PIN again. This time I entered my new SIM PIN and. . . IT WORKED.

So while the Admin App said I had provided an Invalid PUK code, in reality it had worked and my SIM PIN had indeed been changed. And the SIM Security was now Deactivated.

If you're purchasing a NetGear hotspot, you may run into a similar problem.

Sorry for the very long post, but wanted to be sure you have a pretty clear picture of what you might run into.

Bill B.

Also read this Post:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/20-un...ml#post4648434

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
After I hung up was when I got curious and went back into the Admin App and tried to Deactivate SIM Security with my newly created 4 digit SIM PIN, and it worked!!!

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #2462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
So you tried a PIN (anyone) three times, then used the PUK AT&T gave you?

Also, I thought I read somewhere after you use the PUK, do a change/reset PIN, enter a PIN of your choice and confirm, ignore errors. The new PIN seems to stick.
I think that is what I did.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #2463

The PUKs given to me did not work. Tried both four times each. Gave up. First new sim order with via phone sat for three weeks. No ship. Order another yesterday via chat and it shipped today. New sim supposedly will not have the Mobley lock on it so should be able to pop in my modem no problem. Will see how it goes.

Ordering external antennas soon to route to a flag pole that will erect and extend from the frame. Goal is to have it swing up and be adjustable to about 10 ft above the rv if needed.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #2464

Quote:
The PUKs given to me did not work. Tried both four times each. Gave up. First new sim order with via phone sat for three weeks. No ship. Order another yesterday via chat and it shipped today. New sim supposedly will not have the Mobley lock on it so should be able to pop in my modem no problem. Will see how it goes.

Ordering external antennas soon to route to a flag pole that will erect and extend from the frame. Goal is to have it swing up and be adjustable to about 10 ft above the rv if needed.

Seems vtwinwilly got invalid PUK Code during the process but his new PIN did work.

Quote:
1) I enter the 8 digit PUK provided by AT&T support.

2) Entered my new SIM code

3) Entered the new SIM code again for verification.

This is where things got weird. The Admin App responded with "Invalid PUK Code".

So I tried it again, and again. . . "Invalid PUK Code"
Quote:
After I hung up was when I got curious and went back into the Admin App and tried to Deactivate SIM Security with my newly created 4 digit SIM PIN, and it worked!!!
Complete quote(s) in my Post above

This worked for Rkins to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I think that is what I did.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote