Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
There is an exiting thread on this device here: Onstar announced $20. a month unlimited data

Some of the following info is covered in the above referenced thread, but here was my experience.

I couldn't get the Mobley on the ATT site, so I purchased mine from Best Buy eBay site for $79.99, but I now see it's at $99.99.

When I received it today I called AT&T Connected Car at (866) 595-1222 to setup my account as they don't charge an activation fee. After that I had two choices. Have them send me the sim card, which I would have received in two working days. However I didn't want to wait so I went to an AT&T store and picked one up. I had to make sure I insisted on the Connected Car stand alone unlimited plan for $20.00 per month, as the rep and manager weren't aware of that plan.

They also told me I would have to pay an activation fee. I then asked them to call the Connected Car number as I was told it was waived. After the rep checked with the manager he waived the fee. Bottom line is I walked out with the correct sim card at no charge.

BTW, prior to opening an account for this device I was not an existing AT&T customer.

On edit: The other thing you want to do is set the time out function to 'never' otherwise the maximum is two hours. The 'never' setting is only available with firmware VM6200V1.0.1 or later. My unit has the original version VM6200V1.0.0 which will be automatically updated shortly. I'm told there is no way to do it manually.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 04:54 AM   #16

There are 2 threads on the Mobley on rvnetwork.com. I got mine several months ago and it works great. I also bought the AC adapter and am using it in the house. Some of the Mobleys turn off and need to be restarted each day. Mine does. I bought a light timer and it turns off and on each night. I also am taking an old router that I had and will put it into the MH sp O can have more than 5 devices connected if needed.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #17

I get it now. Supposed to be used inside your car only , but people have figured out to use it anywhere. I wonder how long they'll let us get away with that?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - This program at this price (it use to be $40/mt) was done to match a program done by Chevrolet vehicles. Unfortunately diesel coaches don't have OBD2 ports so some imagination is needed to make it work in that type of vehicle. I first heard about it over at TRVN (thank you Bill A.) and it is beyond a doubt the best deal out there for data. I have questions about it being used in a sticks and bricks but the motor home is a vehicle and falls under the program description.

Getting accurate info about the program is the real challenge as most ATT reps I spoke or met didn't have knowledge of it. Don't even think about non-company ATT stores, they don't have a clue. I saw many glassed over eyes (deer in headlights look) during the attempts to purchase this service.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #19

You can buy and AC or USB wire with and OBD2 at the end. Solves all the problems.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I get it now. Supposed to be used inside your car only , but people have figured out to use it anywhere. I wonder how long they'll let us get away with that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You can buy and AC or USB wire with and OBD2 at the end. Solves all the problems.
I wondered as well. To get unlimited data I'd have to have an unlimited plan which is a lot higher than my current plan. But I was thinking I could get the USB or AC adapter and just use it full time in my house and RV. Then I could drop my UVerse Internet at home, and it'd just about wash.

Like Sue, I'm thinking that should work.

But like Dan, I can't help wondering how long they'd let me get away with that.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
On edit: The other thing you want to do is set the time out function to 'never' otherwise the maximum is two hours. The 'never' setting is only available with firmware VM6200V1.0.1 or later. My unit has the original version VM6200V1.0.0 which will be automatically updated shortly. I'm told there is no way to do it manually.
My Mobley updated its firmware sometime last night to version VM6200V1.0.1. I went into Settings > Advanced > Power Save and set it to No Time Out. As long as it has power it should keep running indefinitely, but based on a previous post by Sue46 about some shutting down overnight, I'll see what happens tonight.

Quote:
The only thing that an OBD port in a vehicle provides to the Mobley is power. AT&T would not know if the power is being provided by a stand alone external adapter.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #22

I Understand that ATT might not know how it's being powered. But being from the wireless business I'm certain that they calculated that you would not use 50 gb of data if it was only being used inside your vehicle with the key turned on.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
[snip] I also am taking an old router that I had and will put it into the MH sp O can have more than 5 devices connected if needed.
I am going to do the same thing. In case you run into any difficulties with the settings, there is an informative thread here Howard Forums
Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #24

Inquired and tried to purchase through AT&T website and out of stock. Did a live chat with AT&T and told they have no plan for $20
Old 04-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I Understand that ATT might not know how it's being powered. But being from the wireless business I'm certain that they calculated that you would not use 50 gb of data if it was only being used inside your vehicle with the key turned on.
Okay, but that's a whole different scenario. Couple of things to note.

Currently this AT&T program is unlimited 4G data speeds at least up to 22GB when it may be slowed down depending on prioritization. There are reports on other forums of people regularly using more than 100GB per month, all at 4G speeds.

I have a smart phone and a mifi device on Verizon's so-called unlimited plan at $55.00 per month with a military discount. While the smart phone can use up to 22GB per month at 4G speed before it's possibly prioritized, the mifi device is only allowed 10GB.

Do I expect this AT&T Mobley program to last forever? No, but because of the fierce competition in the marketplace, it could end up being 4G with a limit of 22GB per month at something like $40.00, and still be a good deal.

Time will tell.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRv View Post
Inquired and tried to purchase through AT&T website and out of stock. Did a live chat with AT&T and told they have no plan for $20
Take a look at my post #15. You can purchase the device from Best Buy's eBay site. Then, most importantly, call the Connected Car number I posted. They are very knowledgable about the Mobley plan, and will set up your account and send your sim card.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Okay, but that's a whole different scenario. Couple of things to note.

Currently this AT&T program is unlimited 4G data speeds at least up to 22GB when it may be slowed down depending on prioritization. There are reports on other forums of people regularly using more than 100GB per month, all at 4G speeds.

I have a smart phone and a mifi device on Verizon's so-called unlimited plan at $55.00 per month with a military discount. While the smart phone can use up to 22GB per month at 4G speed before it's possibly prioritized, the mifi device is only allowed 10GB.

Do I expect this AT&T Mobley program to last forever? No, but because of the fierce competition in the marketplace, it could end up being 4G with a limit of 22GB per month at something like $40.00, and still be a good deal.

Time will tell.
I also think it's time to get it while the getting is good. I just figured eventually they will start treating us like they did the old unlimited plans. Tried everything they could to run us off of that plan.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #28

Thanks everyone for the info and the OP for bringing this to lite. I should have my Mobley and adapter next week.
Such a great site.

Bringing her back to her glory.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote