Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #43

Ughhhhhhhh.

I just spent the better part of the last couple of days dealing with Best Buy mostly, and AT&T.

I ordered from the Best Buy site because they do not have it in stock. I agreed to the 2 year contract to get the device for free. Best Buy has called me every single day for 3 days with requests because they couldn't figure out how to get my account validated. One agent told me they just needed the credentials and it would come unactivated. Today, the agent said that it would be activated when it shipped. He was finally able to add it to my account, but instead of adding the connected car service, they added it to my "shared" plan, which means it would be taking data away from my cell service, and they'd charge me $10 a month for the privilege. Best Buy also does not seem to understand that you don't have to have AT&T cell service in order to purchase this or get new service.

Now I'm on hold with AT&T connected car trying to change this from the way Best Buy set it up to the $20/month connected card service, and then the guy pitched me on DirecTV as hard as possible. Though he did solve the problem, so kudos to him.

So if you value your time, I'd just buy the darn thing because both Best Buy and AT&T have no clue how to add this, and despite me telling the Best Buy guy that he needed to add it as Connected Car, he still didn't ask the AT&T rep to transfer to them and handle it appropriately.

FWIW, AT&T told me that they expect this to be back in stock on May 1. If you want to make life easier on yourself, I'd get online ASAP on May 1 and grab one that way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #44
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildeflowers View Post
Ughhhhhhhh.

I just spent the better part of the last couple of days dealing with Best Buy mostly, and AT&T.

I ordered from the Best Buy site because they do not have it in stock. I agreed to the 2 year contract to get the device for free. Best Buy has called me every single day for 3 days with requests because they couldn't figure out how to get my account validated. One agent told me they just needed the credentials and it would come unactivated. Today, the agent said that it would be activated when it shipped. He was finally able to add it to my account, but instead of adding the connected car service, they added it to my "shared" plan, which means it would be taking data away from my cell service, and they'd charge me $10 a month for the privilege. Best Buy also does not seem to understand that you don't have to have AT&T cell service in order to purchase this or get new service.

Now I'm on hold with AT&T connected car trying to change this from the way Best Buy set it up to the $20/month connected card service, and then the guy pitched me on DirecTV as hard as possible. Though he did solve the problem, so kudos to him.

So if you value your time, I'd just buy the darn thing because both Best Buy and AT&T have no clue how to add this, and despite me telling the Best Buy guy that he needed to add it as Connected Car, he still didn't ask the AT&T rep to transfer to them and handle it appropriately.

FWIW, AT&T told me that they expect this to be back in stock on May 1. If you want to make life easier on yourself, I'd get online ASAP on May 1 and grab one that way.

Or just do what I did in post #42. Go to a corporate AT&T store for a no-hassle signup!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone know if I can get this as a Canadian? How does roaming work?
Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #46
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddangelo View Post

It only uses AT&T towers so I guess that means no roaming!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #47

Quote:
No roaming with the Connected Car Plan.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Or just do what I did in post #42. Go to a corporate AT&T store for a no-hassle signup!
Not so easy where I live, but I had already ordered it via Best Buy website since they didn't have it in stock at our very small Best Buy. It was after I hit send all the runaround happened. The AT&T rep told me they couldn't order it until it was in stock, which they expected on May 1.

I think you got lucky because it seems like everyone is getting different answers every time, and the only people who really know what they are doing are the Connected Car division.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Okay....I went to the Best Buy site and tried to order the Mobely by agreeing to the 2 year contract. rdering?It asks if you want to ADD it to your account ( I have an ATT account) or UPGRADE my account. I provided my info on the ADD to my account and it asked me to select between two data plans that offered 5GB for $20.00. Nothing about unlimited.

If I click on UPGRADE, it still doesn't say anything about an unlimited plan.

Any advice on ordering?
You have to go to a corporate att store and have them order it then delivered to your home. Most all att associates don't know about it so tell them to search for the "$20 unlimited connected car plan". Retail att stores are clueless so don't even bother with them.

Choose either the $99 you pay outright for the mobley with month to month no contract or free mobley with 2 year contract. Both $20 a month plus tax.

Do a search on irv2 for mobley. There is more than one thread with all the information you will need. Click Here
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #50

As stated earlier the fastest and most trouble free way to activate the service is to use this ATT Connect Car # 866-595-12222. These service people only deal with this item. Took me 8 mintues and that included a 5 minute wait for activation confirmation. I of course had already purchased the item from Ebay.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #51

Will this do the same thing without the OBD2 hookup and more users? AT&T Unite Pro 4G Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot Black AT&T UNITE PRO - Best Buy
Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
Will this do the same thing without the OBD2 hookup and more users? AT&T Unite Pro 4G Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot Black AT&T UNITE PRO - Best Buy
Yes, but the $20/month unlimited plan is not available with it. Only available with the mobley device.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
In the "Settings" menu under the "Network>Connections" tab, my settings (which I have NOT changed from the default) for "Domestic Data" is turned "ON" and "International Data Roaming" (described as: Enables mobile data such as email, web browsing, and push notifications over the cellular network when roaming outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and USVI. International roaming data charges will apply.) is turned "OFF".

I have NO personal experience regarding use in Canada. Probably best to call the Connected Car folks at AT&T.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #54

Ok, so I get the Mobley device.................. I usually HATE the 2 year contract, well in the case, I think I want it, so THEY cant turn it off for 2 years....... I would view it as locking them into the contract. Am I missing this? Also does Hughes net work on an RV..
Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva View Post
Ok, so I get the Mobley device.................. I usually HATE the 2 year contract, well in the case, I think I want it, so THEY cant turn it off for 2 years....... I would view it as locking them into the contract. Am I missing this? Also does Hughes net work on an RV..
I went with the two year contract, thinks along the same lines. I'm sure somewhete in the fine print at&t has some out, but doubt they would use it.

Dunno about HughsNet. I imagine the setup is geared more towards a fixed installation rather than repeated setup/teardown.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #56
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Wow...what a pain in the butt. I decided to buy the Mobley at Best Buy.....only one available between four local stores.

I called Car Connect.....they said I had to register it on line first. I decided...maybe I should read the instructions. I registered it and then went to the Mobley Activate website and no discussion about the $20.00 a month plan, but has a number to call.....I call, they haven't a clue. They transfer me to another guy who has heard about it, but doesn't know how to activate it. They then ask me for the phone number that my car came with...really....I asked them if their car came with a phone number!!!!

After some more stupid questions by them, I told them I would try Car Connect again. He tells me they're closed at this hour to the public, but he might get through on an internal line. After about ten minutes they get me to a guy in Car Connect who KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. In a matter of a few minutes, he assigned the device a phone number. He tells me what was stated before, I could wait two days for a sim card or get one at an ATT store......but, mine had a sim card in it. I gave him the number on the sim card, but it won't activate. He says don't use that one, just get one from the store or wait two days. I was then sent a text to agree to the terms $20.00 per month. He said once I agree to the terms, it generates the sending of the sim card.

The competency at ATT has always scared me. I really like DirecTv, but I'm afraid of it's future that its owned by ATT.

I was really hoping to find a connector that had a usb end so that I could plug it into any usb port or could be plugged into a 110 usb adapter, giving me a variety of power sources. It looks like the one "EdInArk" (post#12) recommended on Amazon looks like it will work.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote