Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #1289

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
You need to look a little further. If you have a Mobley you can use the BYOD process to activate it on the Connected Car standalone plan, just as before.

This is what I get.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA2411F1-7EBB-49A3-A751-9F619B384BDB.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	177491  
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #1290

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I don't know how many ways there are to say it but no, it doesn't.
So they will be able to throttle anyone's Mobley account at anytime? Verizon has throttled me every month once I hit 22 gigs. It has nothing to do with the current traffic. I'm a night owl and usually try to stream from midnight to 2-3 am.

I hope ATT is better, but at least it's $45 cheaper.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #1291
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I currently use both providers: Verizon for phone and hotspot device, ATT for Mobley hotspot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Verizon has throttled me every month once I hit 22 gigs. It has nothing to do with the current traffic. I'm a night owl and usually try to stream from midnight to 2-3 am.
Verizon does the same to me with my MIFI hotspot with my 24GB plan. Fortunately, it does not slow it down severely. (I think it is a 24GB plan. It was the largest plan available earlier this year. That plan is no longer available on their website.) They keep trying to get me to switch to their "unlimited" plan; but that one severely throttles the hotspot at about 10-12 GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I hope ATT is better, but at least it's $45 cheaper.
I have been using more than 22GB each month with my Mobley for a few months with no signs of throttling.

I am considering lowering the Verizon plan to get the overall cost down. But will probably keep both hotspots. They can be handy when DW and I travel separately.

I also like the fact that the MIFI hotspot has a built-in battery. That is handy in hotel rooms, walking around with a lap-top, and many places where it is just not convenient to find a power source. Not being tethered to a 110VAC power outlet is good.

Lastly, the two hotspots work on two different networks. We have not experienced any issues during our travels. But, have heard that there are places where one network will work and the other will not. Having both covers us.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #1292

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
You need to look a little further. If you have a Mobley you can use the BYOD process to activate it on the Connected Car standalone plan, just as before.

Okay I finally did find the right website, and yes the $20 unlimited plan is still available. However the only way I was allowed to proceed with the activation process was to let ATT send me a new sim card. (They claimed the one in my Mobley was already in use) Which is impossible since it is still in a sealed package! Don’t even ask how I found the right website, it took an act of god! Never been through such a complicated procedure, ATT has made finding that $20 plan as difficult as possible!
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #1293

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdh1950 View Post
Okay I finally did find the right website, and yes the $20 unlimited plan is still available. However the only way I was allowed to proceed with the activation process was to let ATT send me a new sim card. (They claimed the one in my Mobley was already in use) Which is impossible since it is still in a sealed package! Don’t even ask how I found the right website, it took an act of god! Never been through such a complicated procedure, ATT has made finding that $20 plan as difficult as possible!

Not as difficult as finding a Mobley thru AT&T!
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #1294

To activate a Mobley that you already own on the $20 Connected car plan, navigate through the AT&T 'Bring Your Own Device' section. You will have an opportunity to enter the IMEI of your device and if it is a Mobley then you will have the option of ordering a SIM, and once you do that you will have the option of adding the $20 plan. You do have to go through a lot of pages but it is fairly straightforward.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #1295

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I found the webpage but couldn't get it to go thru without the IMEI number. I also confirmed via chat that they will still activate them.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-23-2017, 06:07 AM   #1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I currently use both providers: Verizon for phone and hotspot device, ATT for Mobley hotspot.

Verizon does the same to me with my MIFI hotspot with my 24GB plan. Fortunately, it does not slow it down severely. (I think it is a 24GB plan. It was the largest plan available earlier this year. That plan is no longer available on their website.) They keep trying to get me to switch to their "unlimited" plan; but that one severely throttles the hotspot at about 10-12 GB.
I have been using more than 22GB each month with my Mobley for a few months with no signs of throttling.

I am considering lowering the Verizon plan to get the overall cost down. But will probably keep both hotspots. They can be handy when DW and I travel separately.

I also like the fact that the MIFI hotspot has a built-in battery. That is handy in hotel rooms, walking around with a lap-top, and many places where it is just not convenient to find a power source. Not being tethered to a 110VAC power outlet is good.

Lastly, the two hotspots work on two different networks. We have not experienced any issues during our travels. But, have heard that there are places where one network will work and the other will not. Having both covers us.

FWIW I got a USB power cord on Amazon and can now hook it to power bank, making the Mobley portable. I dropped my Verizon plan to the “ smalll” plan & im saving a little every month. since we’re not such big data users anyway, the Mobley is unlikely to ever get near 22 GB
suzeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #1297
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeq View Post
FWIW I got a USB power cord on Amazon and can now hook it to power bank, making the Mobley portable.
Thanks.

I understand the USB power cord. I have one of those when I bring the Mobley inside and plug the USB connector into a small transformer which plugs into a 110VAC outlet.

The power bank is new to me. A search on Amazon was helpful. I used to have something similar years ago as a reserve external battery for my cell phone. When the cellphone battery got low I connected the cell phone to the external battery and recharged the phone battery. I never thought of using one as a power supply.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #1298

Anyone have a line on these? I think Ebay for $350+ is the only option I have.
TangoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #1299

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
yep, I just bought one yesterday from ebay for $325.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #1300

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFox View Post
Anyone have a line on these? I think Ebay for $350+ is the only option I have.
When I calculated how much I would save off my Verizon bill each month I decided that the additional cost for an eBay Mobley was worth it. In 3 months I'll be even and who knows if or when AT&T will have them back in stock. I did verify that they will still activate them.

I just wish I had heard about them last Spring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #1301

So I have a Verizon jet pack with 8 gigs that I use for work. I started out with a 4 gigs then went to 6 gigs then 8 gigs. Funny how fast the data gets used up when I am close to my limit. So rather than get the unlimited plan on Verizon I just use my Mobley and all issues are resolved.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #1302

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have 45 days left on my Verizon hot spot contract and my phone is already off contract. In 46 days it's goodbye Verizon, and hello to $75 more in my budget every month.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]