Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #29

One other Mobley tip... you can leave it plugged in to the OBD2 port in your motorhome and/or in your car. I frequently leave it in the car and connect from the RV. Never had a problem with the battery running down; I drive the car almost every day. If you're in a motorhome with a hookup, that will usually keep the engine battery charged.

It draws about 5 watts on AC power, so that's about 1 amp on 12 volt.

They do seem to want to be rebooted every 24 hours or so; numerous reports of that. It's only a minor annoyance.

I have two, and try to keep usage to the 22GB threshold on each. Others have used much more; I'll let them be the ones to test AT&T's resolve.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Guys.....I first saw this offer on a Chevrolet forum, running through the OnStar system. I like the Mobley idea. Here is a question one of you may be able to answer. If you move this around from a daily driver to the motor home frequently, will removing power cause it to have problems, or can it sit for several days with no power and then boot right back up? I won't be using it everyday....so it may sit for awhile powered down.

Thanks
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Don - That shouldn't be a problem. I have ours plugged and unplugged multiple times a day and it's no different than if it was in your car and you made several stops through the course of the day. I've also been amazed at how cool the unit runs compared to my old MiFi from Verizon.
Tom
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay....I went to the Best Buy site and tried to order the Mobely by agreeing to the 2 year contract. rdering?It asks if you want to ADD it to your account ( I have an ATT account) or UPGRADE my account. I provided my info on the ADD to my account and it asked me to select between two data plans that offered 5GB for $20.00. Nothing about unlimited.

If I click on UPGRADE, it still doesn't say anything about an unlimited plan.

Any advice on ordering?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:30 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Dutch Star Don,

I bought mine from Best Buy, and picked it up without activating, then I took it to an AT&T store - Best Buy was clueless about the Mobely, and had never activated one. The AT&T store was also clueless about Connected Car Plans. (And EXTREMELY rude. Employees said I was dreaming about my "Magical $20 Rate". This was employee Lyndon at the Tacoma store - you deserve to be outed, Lyndon! Your customer service skills are awful.)

It seems the only way to activate it (for me) was to do it over the phone to the specific Connected Car personnel.

That said, it only took about 3 minutes to set up once I had the right AT&T Connected Car office on the phone.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #34

Don, I just went to their site and searched for ZTE Mobley, found it and ordered it. I didn't try to purchase it like a phone or anything, never was prompted to buy a service plan or anything.
Hope you figure it out.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Me too...we actually called the "AT&T connected car number first...confirmed that we could get the $20 unlimited plan, even though we are not AT&T cellphone users...they knew everything about this promotion...after we confirmed...I went to Best Buy website and ordered the Mobley for $99 + tax. When I recieve it...we'll call the connected car number to activate it.

Don't go to the AT&T website and "chat"...they only know how to activate it as a mobile hotspot for $60/mo...they do not understand the new "connected car" promotion.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #36

I entered a chat and got Ronald. Ronald knew about the @$20 / month deal and verified I could buy at Best Buy and offered to set it up. My problem is that we don't have unlimited data, and to upgrade to unlimited would cost us several dollars a month more than we're paying now.

Edit for additional info:
OK. I logged onto my account at att.com, and was checking the cost of AT&T Choice Unlimited, and it says "Unlimited data at speeds up to 3Mbps (after 22GB, speeds may slow."

Vanslam reported speeds much higher than this in the OP. I tried to get into another chat, but it won't open. Maybe they're busy right now.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Just wanted to share my hot spot data solution find.

I just happen to find out about this device and $20 unlimited plan last week. I ordered one of the devices on EBAY and just finished setting it up with AT&T. It plugs into your OBDII port of your RV, which supplies the power. Once you activate the device you now have a RV hotspot for 5 devices. There is a 22 gb limit before they may throttle back service but I think its a great value. When I bought my device on EBAY and there are also optional power plugs (usb, 12v, 110v, etc available as well.)

The test speeds are not to bad, but slower than my ATT iPhone speeds (can't use it as a hot spot) and Verizon Jetpack both which cost way more for data and are not unlimited. I got up to 18.54 mps download and 6.65 mps upload speeds. You may get different based on your location.

The fastest and most trouble free way to activate the service is to use this ATT Connect Car # 866-595-12222 and tell them you have a hot spot device. The will ask you for your device IMEI # and cell chip # ( its long and printed on the chip). You will have to wait 5 mins but will be good to go after. There is also a activation charge I paid $45 i have heard some pay as little as $25.

Have you considered T-Mobile. One line is 50 +27 for unlimited 4g or lte. Plus unlimited hotspot
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #38

I bought this device a few days ago at Best Buy. Went around the corner to the AT&T shop and added it to my plan. In just under one hour got it activated and was working perfectly in my car. (just activation fee for $20 and monthly will be $20 unlimited data)
Then just bought an female OBD2 connector with cable for about $6.- figured which wire was going to pin 16 and connected that to a 12 V plus side and pin 4 to ground. Now got the whole thing working at home. But having slow data speeds probably due to bad reception. (the reception is not to good in the house.) Will have to test a bit more in other places.
erald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #39
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yesterday I decided this was a deal that I couldn't pass up! I called the Connected Car phone number, spent about 20 minutes giving the lady all the info, then at the end she tells me they are out of stock and don't know when to expect them!

I then went to the local AT&T corporate store. They didn't have them in stock but the guy assured me I would have it in about three business days. I signed up for a 2-year contract, so the Mobley didn't cost me anything. The cost is $20 per month plus taxes, etc., which comes to about $26.00. Hopefully by about Wednesday of next week I will be able to give it a try!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I ordered online with a low gig plan that was avail online ( I think 3 gig ) as that was all the web ordering had at the time .. I took a leap of faith I could make changes as the person I chatted with online stated . 2 days later when the mobley arrived express mail I called and got the connected car dept and changed the plan to the "unlimited " connected car plan .. it's key you use those words to get the right people
No hassles and happened quickly after a couple phone transfers to the correct dept .. once I got there it was easy
I had thought you could now find all this online but if not you can still go the way I did .. get it and then make the change
Mobley now after a full month works great ... occasionally needs a restart which is easy to do just press restart on the side. I have modified mine to stay on 24/7 as covered in many posts
Get email warnings about going over and may be throttled but I've gone over with no noticeable slowdown of course if att is bad in the area your in the mobley won't work miracles and will be slow also.
Overall I hope nobody discovers this and att doesn't catch on to rvers using this instead of business people and kids in the back seat of the car watching cartoon video. [emoji106]. So don't tell anybody ! [emoji6]
Old 04-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by erald View Post
I bought this device a few days ago at Best Buy. Went around the corner to the AT&T shop and added it to my plan. In just under one hour got it activated and was working perfectly in my car. (just activation fee for $20 and monthly will be $20 unlimited data)
Then just bought an female OBD2 connector with cable for about $6.- figured which wire was going to pin 16 and connected that to a 12 V plus side and pin 4 to ground. Now got the whole thing working at home. But having slow data speeds probably due to bad reception. (the reception is not to good in the house.) Will have to test a bit more in other places.
Yep...I found the female OBDII connector on Amazon for something like $6.99...then also purchased a USB w/ 5v to 12v converter. Around $11...I think. I'll wire the Plus to pin16...and Negative to pin 4. We already have USB outlets scattered around the coach...or we can use car or 110v phone adapters. Very versatile arrangement.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to be able to use the Mobley anywhere, so I ordered a $6.99 12 VDC power supply that I will wire directly to the pins in the Mobley. I could have paid another $6 and got an OBDII connector to make it cleaner, but a little black electrical tape doesn't bother me! I was careful to get one that is U.L. Listed and fully regulated for better quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote