Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #1037

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
One of the reasons why I wanted the Mobley is so that I could remotely monitor inside temperature, humidity and freezer temperature when parked in storage. That added benefit is that since the thermometer base unit is powered via a 120VAC wall wart (as it oddly needs 20VDC), I get a notification if the thermometer has not been "seen" for 30 minutes. This would mean my parking spot breaker has tripped, or I've lost network connection. I can also get alerts on high/low temperatures via email/text.

The probe temperature blip towards the left (green line) is when the defrost cycle ran (which it appears to do every day or so).

I've not yet tested the other reason I got the Mobley, which is DirecTV on-demand...that will be tested the next time we camp (motorhome is under roof, so the dish would never find the satellites if I don't pull it out). I did test Netflix, which worked fine.

I like it.

What temp sensor are you using?

Assuming your wall wort is plugged into a non inverter circuit, right?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I like it.

What temp sensor are you using?

Assuming your wall wort is plugged into a non inverter circuit, right?
Temperature thingy:
La Crosse Alerts Mobile 926-25101-GP Wireless Monitor System Set with Dry Probe

It requires a hardwire Ethernet connection, so plug it into the Ethernet port on a TP-Link TL-MR3040 travel router in WISP mode...which has the benefit (which I don't need) of allowing more than 5 devices to use wifi (as opposed to the Mobley's limit of 5).

Funny story. I initially had the probe (freezer) set to a high alert of 10°F. A few hours later I got a temp alert, so I drove up to storage (about 5-7 minutes away, so not far) in a panic, only to find it was at 18°F (yikes!!!), YET the fridge light came on when I opened the door. I put a current clamp on the feed, which showed 1+ amps (or something like that), and it was then I realized the fridge was in defrost mode (where the heating element in the freezer section was heating the evaporator coil to remove any ice buildup). Panic aborted, and for now I set the high temp limit at 15°F so I'd know whenever there was a defrost cycle (I'll set it higher once my curiosity has run it's course).

The wall wart is plugged into a galley receptacle for now, but will relocate it someplace else later. I'll wire the Mobley (and the router) to 12DC at some point, but for now both are running off the same plug (via a power strip) as the Mobley. The wall wart for the temperature sensor will remain on 120V...as my "power fail" indicator. I have a few other interesting things I'll wire into 12VDC that will use the Mobley to communicate out...I'll post on those later.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronh999 View Post
I'm curious why people are buying the Mobley outright for $99 and not getting locked in to the 2 year contract instead of paying only $45 (activation fee) and getting it for free but being locked in to 2 year contract?

Why pay $54 more to avoid 2 year contract?
I did the math as well and locked into the 2 year contract for the savings. This also means that they have to provide me with 2 years of Internet for only $20. per month. No price increase or data reduction for 2 years.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom View Post
I did the math as well and locked into the 2 year contract for the savings. This also means that they have to provide me with 2 years of Internet for only $20. per month. No price increase or data reduction for 2 years.
No, it doesn't. AT&T can change any of the terms of the plan, including the price, anytime they choose. If they do you will have the option to cancel and have any termination fees waived, or continue on under the new terms. Cellular contracts protect the carrier, not the customer.

That said, it would be extremely unusual for AT&T to do so, likewise they have never raised the price on even a no-contract plan within 24 months of someone buying equipment and starting service. Bottom line, contact or not, in all likelihood anyone on the plan now will probably have at least 24 months service under the current terms.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronh999 View Post
I'm curious why people are buying the Mobley outright for $99 and not getting locked in to the 2 year contract instead of paying only $45 (activation fee) and getting it for free but being locked in to 2 year contract? Why pay $54 more to avoid 2 year contract?
I could easily have gone either way but the reasons I went no-contract were 1) I wasn't very familiar with AT&T's network and service quality and I didn't want to be locked in if I ended up being disappointed, 2) while the plan is good and I probably wouldn't want to change, I just like the freedom to be able to do so (2 years is an eternity these days in the cellular industry) and the $54 was worth it to me for that reason, and 3) as above the contract doesn't really guarantee you anything in particular.

But all that said I can see why some might prefer the contract, both options are valid.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #1042

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
For me it was Hollerith (80 column). In 1984 the USN still had a punched card test in their "A-school" training. Students had to punch a certain number of cards without mistakes in a given time limit. Never saw them anywhere after that, but it was in the curriculum.

On the ship (aircraft carrier) we used paper tape to boot one of the mainframe machines. (BTW, the mainframe we had was water-cooled. Seriously, there were chilled water lines running through the cabinet to keep the internal temperature below 70F. If it reached 70F, we shut everything down before the machine went nuts.) There was a distinct advantage to paper tape over punched cards. If you dropped the tape on the floor you did not need to resort the cards.

The amount of computing power in current smartphones would run circles around these machines. They got the job done, but not as portable as a Mobley!

Those punched cards were the best way to get Popeye forearms

Clay & Marcy
2004 Winnebago Adv. G35U
, 1995 Tracker Toad, RVI3, eeZRV, Garmin RV 770 LMT-S, Viair
CEParosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #1043

My Mobley keeps shutting itself off! I've changed the power save to never but it didn't seem to help!
Are any if you experiencing this problem?
sforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #1044

mine does it too after not using it for while

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
My Mobley keeps shutting itself off! I've changed the power save to never but it didn't seem to help!
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #1045

Quote:
Does it actually shut off (signal light goes out, shuts down), or does it stop passing data (but both lights are still green)?
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #1046

not sure right now didn't look, but when I try to use it, it says internet not available, so I turn it off and on and it will reconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Does it actually shut off (signal light goes out, shuts down), or does it stop passing data (but both lights are still green)?
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
not sure right now didn't look, but when I try to use it, it says internet not available, so I turn it off and on and it will reconnect
You are probably seeing what has been reported many times before, the Mobley is not shutting off but rather losing connection with the AT&T network and needs to be power-cycled to restore connectivity. I don't think anyone has figured out why this happens yet.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #1048

Mine just shows that the wifi is no longer connected to the Mobley!
sforl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #1049

Not so. I have Verizon phone service and got my Mobley a month ago with a stand alone account $20 unlimited from ATT and have no problems. The stores know nothing about it and you have to do it online.
Kengreenofca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #1050

Quote:
Mine just shows that the wifi is no longer connected to the Mobley!
High temp shutdown?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote