Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #1975

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Sent the Unite Explore back because it was all but useless. Any suggestions for what else to try would be helpful Chuck

I also believe you had a defective unit or were /are in a odd location
The only real upgrade choices I personally would consider from the Mobley are......
The unite pro is a prior unit that I use and works well
The unite explore it is the updated more waterproof “outdoor” version of the pro
The latest and greatest is the nighthawk .. spendy and difficult to find without buying via att on a “plan”.
The nighthawk is more capable than the network right now it adds several radio bands that aren’t used much yet

A good place to research is technomadia .. they have a comprehensive paid $$$member site but do have a lot of data and info on the public site
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #1976

I bought an unlocked Unite Explore 815S on Amazon and am currently using it with a T-Mobile "Mobile Internet" plan. I like the hotspot but not the plan because 4G drops to 2G after the high-speed allotment runs out.

I see all this talk of Mobley's (I am somewhat familiar with the device) and cheap AT&T unlimited plans.

Short and sweet, how do I get an unlimited 4G plan that will work with the Unite Explore? If that's not possible, what's the best way of getting unlimited 4G in a hotspot?
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #1977

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I see all this talk of Mobley's (I am somewhat familiar with the device) and cheap AT&T unlimited plans.

Short and sweet, how do I get an unlimited 4G plan that will work with the Unite Explore? If that's not possible, what's the best way of getting unlimited 4G in a hotspot?
You’ve missed out on the $20 Mobley Connected Car plan. You can get a Mobley and a $20 Car plan but it won’t be unlimited. Just 5 gigs a month.

At this moment your only practical option is a www.netbuddy.co $60 a month rental plan. You can buy just a SIM card with unlimited ATT for $60 a month on a month to month plan. Just know that ATT can revoke the plan at any time. And probably will. But they’ve been offering these for a while and seem to work well.

https://netbuddy.co/product/activated-sim/
Old 09-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #1978

An update on my post regarding the poor performance of the Unite Explore that I bought. Since so many have had good experience with the Unite I decided to try again and bought another from a different source. I stuck the SIM from my Mobley in when it arrived and it works great. A major improvement in speed and the ability to connect 15 devices. Apparently, the first one was defective so I'm very glad I tried again. I did by the external antenna but get better speeds without it. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #1979

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I did by the external antenna but get better speeds without it. Chuck
Glad to hear the new one worked out for you.

Hmm, I have the external antenna as well, but have never tried it without it connected. I will give that a try. My suspicion is that it will sometimes work better with it and sometimes be better without it.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Glad to hear the new one worked out for you.

Hmm, I have the external antenna as well, but have never tried it without it connected. I will give that a try. My suspicion is that it will sometimes work better with it and sometimes be better without it.
The antenna is very directional and I suspect since I can't get it pointed in the right direction through a window, it is receiving better without it. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #1981

I have the Netgear 781s and with the Netgear antenna that sticks on the window and I get 1 bar more. I am in the process of installing a directional MIMO antenna on the old batwing crank up mount. I should get the antenna tomorrow and will post results.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #1982

Finished the MIMO antenna install today. Without the external antenna 2 bars and 6 Mbps download. With the antenna 4 bars and 18 Mbps download. I am in a area that has marginal cell service. Does not matter what service AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #1983

Yes it does.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #1984

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
T Moblie Mobley unlimited plan.

Anyone heard about the T Mobile mobley plan for $10 a month called Sync Up sounds like the AT&T plan but for T Mobile customers.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #1985
RV LIFE Support Team

I just did a quick glance and it sounds similar.

I wonder if the same AC adapter can be used for this one as for the ATT Mobley?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #1986

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I just did a quick glance and it sounds similar.

I wonder if the same AC adapter can be used for this one as for the ATT Mobley?
Highly likely. The only thing it does is supply power to the mobley.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #1987

Winnebago Owners Club
I wonder if it must be plugged into a vehicle port to work. I’d guess that the power adapter would work. But it may only work plugged into a vehicle. We’ll have To see if someone tries it and reports back.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #1988

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The picture sure looks the same as the Mobley I'm using. Reading the plan, it is not unlimited data so the only benefit I can see would be the $10 a month price. Unless I'm missing something.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote