Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #1

$20 Unlimited Data with ZTE Mobley Device

Just wanted to share my hot spot data solution find.

I just happen to find out about this device and $20 unlimited plan last week. I ordered one of the devices on EBAY and just finished setting it up with AT&T. It plugs into your OBDII port of your RV, which supplies the power. Once you activate the device you now have a RV hotspot for 5 devices. There is a 22 gb limit before they may throttle back service but I think its a great value. When I bought my device on EBAY and there are also optional power plugs (usb, 12v, 110v, etc available as well.)

The test speeds are not to bad, but slower than my ATT iPhone speeds (can't use it as a hot spot) and Verizon Jetpack both which cost way more for data and are not unlimited. I got up to 18.54 mps download and 6.65 mps upload speeds. You may get different based on your location.

The fastest and most trouble free way to activate the service is to use this ATT Connect Car # 866-595-12222 and tell them you have a hot spot device. The will ask you for your device IMEI # and cell chip # ( its long and printed on the chip). You will have to wait 5 mins but will be good to go after. There is also a activation charge I paid $45 i have heard some pay as little as $25.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$20 for AT&T customers... $60 for Verizon customers...who don't have an AT&T acct. I was excited until they told me that. Oh well...

Your are an AT&T cellphone customer...or were you able to do a standalone car acct. on Mobley for $20 per month???
Old 04-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi- You can do it as a stand alone. It is the only ATT device we have. If you sign a 2 year contract the device is free. We have had ours for a couple of weeks and it is fantastic. I had my Verizon MiFi was shut down the other day as this is so much better. $20.mt unlimited vs.$50 for 5 gigs at VZ. I've gone well past the 22 gig slow down point but speeds are still very good. Finally able to use the smart TVs without fear of going broke!
Tom
Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was looking at the fine print on the ATT web site and to get the $ 20 ATT Unlimited Data Connect Car Plan you must have another ATT service such as Direct TV or ATT Cell Phone Service. The fine print says they have the right to change the plan to a 10 GB Data Plan with per GB overage charges if don't meet the bundling requirements.

That said, based on the other posts to this thread, it sounds like in return for a two year contract, they are waiving the bundling requirement right now. Makes sense as normally people don't sign a 2 year contract just to save $ 99 on a device.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Randy - You are reading the wrong plan. There are several and it is confusing but I have no other ATT services, opened an account just for the Mobley and am not subject to any overage charges. The contract allows for the device to be had for $0 without any strings, no bundling requirement.

Tom
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #6

Suggest you read this: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...or-zte-mobley/

I have one and I am running about 19mbs down and 12mbs up. My last months bill was $ 22.06 total including tax and fees for 49GB of 4G LTE data. It's the only AT&T device that I have and I am using it with a 120V power supply adapter in my coach. Best deal around!!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #7

I just logged into my att account and not only is the mobly not in stock, with the ATT device the Velocity, I was offered a plan for $50 for 5 gb. Not a good deal at all.

Do you know if the $20 plan is only offered with the Mobly?
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the plan is only good for the Mobley device.

AT&T has none in stock! Easy to sell out of an empty wagon!! If you have an AT&T account already, go to Best Buy, they have the Mobley device in stock and you can add it to your account.

burfurd
Old 04-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #9

Have had mine for months. I wasn't an ATT customer. $22.01 a month including taxes.
It's a good deal until ATT realizes how many RVers are doing this. Then the deal will be gone. Get it while the gettin is good.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
Yes, the plan is only good for the Mobley device.

AT&T has none in stock! Easy to sell out of an empty wagon!! If you have an AT&T account already, go to Best Buy, they have the Mobley device in stock and you can add it to your account.

burfurd
yeah, I finally got that answer with the chat agent after he deflected and answered 100 questions I didn't ask.

He said it should be in stock soon. For some reason, best buy is not able to validate my login credentials. I can wait a few days.

Thanks.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I am retired Sprint network engineer and at first this looked "too good to be true" as it is well under half the price of every other LTE mobile hotspot offering in the industry. That's why it is sold out at ATT. You can still order it online at BestBuy.com

Beware of the Ebay listings, many including the $ 80 one ARE NOT for the modem but for accessories that allow them to be AC powered or that adapt it to a wired ethernet device. Right now the only valid Ebay listing for the DEVICE is the $ 100 Bestbuy.com one.

I would not be surprised to see this offer from ATT to go away very quickly, now that it is becoming well known that this works anywhere, not just in the OBD2 port of a vehicle by buying a $ 30 AC adapter. For comparison, prepaid Verizon mobile hotspot data on a Jetpack costs $ 50 for 10 Gigabytes or FIVE TIMES as much !

Finally for those considering using this for streaming TV, note that Netflix and similar streaming services use 1-3 Gigabytes per hour (1 in SD, 3 in HD viewing mode). So, 22 GB will handle your internet, email, etc. and also somewhere between 6-20 hours of TV depending on your streaming options.

One more comment: If this continues to sell well, it will stop being usable for streaming as any one ATT cell site carrier can only handle at most a few dozen users trying to watch streaming video at the same time.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Found this USB adapter on Amazon. It says it'll work anywhere USB is available.

I'm thinking it'd work great on motorcycle trips, in my shop where WiFi is not available, and other places.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #13

I bought a usb adapter with mine and plugged it into a battery pack. All is well as I type this his message using my Mobley at a camp ground out side my motorhome. Once again I got both on eBay.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #14

Hello,

Order one online (4/4) received at mail forwarding service within a few days. I got it today, plugged it in (with AC adapter from Amazon), had to call the 800 number to get it activated. Tech support said SIM card had been permanently disabled but, it could be reversed. Told tech support would call back in 1 hour. Tech support called about 40 minutes later, activated device and I am using it now. Seems snappy enough.

Mark
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote