RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2002 Wingard dish with home directv receiver?

This is probably a repeat question but I could not seem to find any specific info during my search so here's my question:

Can I hook up my home DirecTV receiver to my 2002 Wingard dish?
I bought a 2002 Tiffin Allegro and it has a Wingard dish on the roof but no receiver in the coach. I have four DirecTV receivers in my home but would like to move one permanently to the MH if possible.

Or do I need to upgrade the dish on roof along with buying a new receiver?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It is likely you can but you will not be able to get HD. On ours there were toggle switches under the cover that needed to be changed since the previous owner had Dish Network. I am assuming this is a dome type dish. After that we just hit the little switch on the ceiling and it finds the satellite. We can turn it off after it finds it or leave it on when in motion.

It would be helpful if you can find the model number. Why people/RV dealers don't leave the paperwork in the coach I do not know. We were lucky to get loads of paperwork with our coach.

There is another problem you may not be aware of. Your local channels are "spot beamed" in other words, they are only sent to that area. Once you leave your area you may lose locals. There are ways to get network channels but no way I know of to get more than one local area on a single account.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I will circle back with model information on dish but it is a fold down manual type.
MH in shop now getting new ignition.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 05:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post
I will circle back with model information on dish but it is a fold down manual type.
MH in shop now getting new ignition.

Thanks
I also have an 02 crank up Direct TV dish on my MH. I use all 3 of my Direct TV receivers (2 HD and 1 SD) in my coach. You must go into the menu and reset the settings.

1. Go to dish type-set 18" round
2. Go to location and put in zip code. Readings for that location will be displayed.
3. Go to strength meter-crank up elevation and then rotate till meter is at max strength.

You will get only get standard def broadcast but it should work with any of the receivers. I do not have single wire technology. If you have a standard def receiver it should be easier than the high def receiver.

Good luck but if you have problems call call Direct TV and they will walk you through set up process.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
OK we had one of those too. Is it a round one or an oval. If it is round, it should easily work for Directv. Still no HD though. Ours had an elevation finder, a small box with digital readout and pointer inside just under the dish. If it is an oval I'm not much help as we have never used one in the MH.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #6

Your roof top dish should work with one of your Directv receivers. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know about the menu setup on my receiver and could not get mine to work. I eventually purchased a portable satellite dish which referenced the setup menu on the satellite receiver. I am not sure if the roof top dish antenna will allow the use of a receiver that is svm only so make sure that the setup option on your receiver allows for non svm switch setup.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the help! I'll give it a try and see if it will work.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

One thing that no one has mentioned is that your home DirecTV installation may use the SWM wiring system which your rooftop dish is not setup for. Many, but not all, receiver/DVRs can be used both with SWM and the older, multiswitch wiring system.

Whether or not you can take one of your home receivers and use it in your MH will depend on what models you have. Receivers and DVRs with model numbers of "25" and higher are SWM only and will not work with your MH system. Even if you do have one with a model number less than 25 you will have to change the setup every time you move it from the house to the MH and back to properly reflect the antenna type and switch type (SWM or multiswitch) for each location. You may find it easier to add a receiver to your home account (for ~$6/mo) and leave it in the MH.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
One thing that no one has mentioned is that your home DirecTV installation may use the SWM wiring system which your rooftop dish is not setup for. Many, but not all, receiver/DVRs can be used both with SWM and the older, multiswitch wiring system.

Whether or not you can take one of your home receivers and use it in your MH will depend on what models you have. Receivers and DVRs with model numbers of "25" and higher are SWM only and will not work with your MH system. Even if you do have one with a model number less than 25 you will have to change the setup every time you move it from the house to the MH and back to properly reflect the antenna type and switch type (SWM or multiswitch) for each location. You may find it easier to add a receiver to your home account (for ~$6/mo) and leave it in the MH.
As usual, great advice from Joel...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I checked the model number of my Direct TV receiver and is as follows:
H21-100. It is dated 10/17/2008.
So from your information, I can use this receiver with my Wingard manual dish?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:49 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The H-21 will work with your antenna. You will have to change the antenna setup in the receiver to "18" round" as was mentioned earlier.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAquaman View Post
I checked the model number of my Direct TV receiver and is as follows:
H21-100. It is dated 10/17/2008.
So from your information, I can use this receiver with my Wingard manual dish?
I think we had one of those at the stick house years ago. The specs say it can be used as a legacy setup so I would say yes on your dish. I do not think it has a coax output so to connect it to your coach you may need an RF modulator. You should already have a B-band converter attached but for your MH dish I don't think you will need it. It is used to pick up Ku band from satellite 103, for SD you will only use 101.

From my experience with Directv I would not mention to them you are using one of your receivers in the MH. They will want a separate account or use in one or the other. We did just what you are planning for a few years though. When on vacation we took one box and could not get locals after getting out of our area. Now we have changed our service address to our winter location and suspend service in the summer.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Great information.
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Love this forum.

Tags
dish