Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2008 Newmar Kountry Star - New Radio Head Unit

I am looking for any guidance on the statistics / technical specs I need to look for when I replace my radio main head. I know the features I want (Apple Play, Bluetooth, Sirius/XM) but that's all I know. Are there any specific technical things I should look for in order to simplify the installation (other than size!). Thanks for any insight.
Attached Images

pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

Hard to tell from the pic what type of head unit you have. I assume it's the one on the right? If so, that looks like 1 DIN size? You might want to look at an Android based head unit from Joying
https://www.carjoying.com/1-din-andr...droid-gps.html

These are feature rich and you can add Apps to it to extend it's capabilities whenever you want. Connect it to a Smartphone hotspot to get realtime data for GasBuddy, googlemaps, weather, OBDII diagnostics etc.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes its the one on the right. I really would prefer Apple Play since I am all iOS already. Would make integration so easy.

Thanks for the insight. I am hoping this is not too big of a project
pgrennan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Carl...9ed7e772c6ce45

CarPlay hacked

Having done the initial development of CarPlay integration for FCA a few years ago, the ingenious folks overseas have figured it out. I have no background with the hack, but not surprising it exists.

Sounds like you should be looking at Pioneer which was one of the earliest supporters of CarPlay in an aftermarket radio.
AVH-3300NEX - NEW! - 1-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Display, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto™, Built-in Bluetooth®, SiriusXM-Ready™ and AppRadio Mode + | Pioneer Electronics USA

Hard to tell from your pictures if a 2DIN chassis would easily fit in your dash. If so, that would open up the choices quite a bit.

In my Bounder, I built an enclosure to move the HVAC controls underdash and used the space made available to put an Android 2DIN chassis. Great upgrade.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't advise you on that but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

I added an Alpine deck and Amp and replaced the speakers with Rockford Fosgate speakers. Wonderful Sound. The system couples with my iPhone, iPod and like devices.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

Bigger question may be where to put the upgraded speakers? Those little 4"ers they gave us just doesn't do the job. I think 2din will fit. Always had great luck with Pioneer. Not sure if Apple cable comes with, they used to be a pricy add on.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

That looks like a 2DIN unit. That's about 4" high; the width is usually standard at about 7". Amazon has lots of units that will fit your needs.

Also check with Crutchfield for specials and for mounting/wiring accessories.

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I added an Alpine deck and Amp and replaced the speakers with Rockford Fosgate speakers. Wonderful Sound. The system couples with my iPhone, iPod and like devices.
Did your original radio also serve as your backup camera monitor? What model of Alpine did you use?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You have the same thing I have the Jensen VR185. That is a DIN and a half radio. I am struggling with putting a Pioneer AVH-2300NEX in it's place The 2DIN radios are taller. The opening is going to have to be trimmed in order to install the Universal 2DIN Installation Slot Metal Car Stereo Radio Mounting Frame In-Dash Mounting Frame. I ordered one on Amazon and it is too large so I ordered a different one and won't have it till Tuesday so I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Thought this was going to be easy but alas it's not. Wish Newmar would have thought about being able to upgrade the stereo head unit and made the opening in the face plate larger. The Jensen is an odd ball size for sure.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasmobile View Post
Did your original radio also serve as your backup camera monitor? What model of Alpine did you use?
The backup camera moniter is to the left of the stereo.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well I finally finished the install today and it works great. It really took some thought and trimming to get it to fit but I got it in there. I wish I could have used the garnish frame but it won't fit because of the way Newmar counter sunk the original Jensen unit in the plastic face. I had to tweak the front stop tabs on the can to get it to set flush as it is but it doesn't look bad. It really works great with my Android phone. I suggest the Pioneer family because of it's ease to navigate the controls and it interfaces well with Android phones and I think it will do so with any Iphones. It uses Google and Waze Apps for the navigation from your Android or Iphone. The sound is much improved over the old Jensen unit. Like night and day. I would also suggest installing better speakers in the overhead cabinets. What Newmar installed was junk. I put a pair in that I bought at Walmart for around $50 or so a couple of years back.
Now a few of things to purchase with this product:
This is the dash can that it will fit in your dash and the radio:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Pioneer products don't have a USB port on the face of the unit so you will need one of these to facilitate it and you can install it were you want it.

You'll need one of these if you want the cameras (if installed) to work and the DVD player also. It's the motion bypass:

If you have Sirius/XM radio already installed or want it you will need one of these units:

This is the unit I installed and it does have the capability of installing a rear view camera if needed. I may use it later for a side view camera:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...EX/AVH-2300NEX

One other thing. This unit doesn't have a built-in on and off switch like the Jensen so I added a radio switch in one of the slots in front of the head unit. I found it on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/231496767459

If you have a newer vehicle with Android Auto/Apple Car play you will be right at home. This head unit has all the same functions as your stock unit and isn't all that expensive. All totaled I have about $350 in the unit and of course that's me doing the install.

Good luck pgrennan3. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180221_145822[1].jpg
Views:	101
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	193207  

Tags
newmar, radio