Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

40 Inch TV Install in Front Coach Overhead

We have completed the install of a Sony 40 inch LCD TV in the front overhead position in our 2005 32 ft Fleetwood Southwind. Many thanks to all those who posted innovative design ideas and photos on TV installations in previous threads.
My install was interesting because this TV width is way too large to be enclosed in the previous (27 inch TV) cabinet or even clear the upward opening cabinet doors on either side of the TV. The installation photos below show some of the issues.
As mentioned in previous threads, the metal mounting threads in the back of the TV itself on all of the TV’s I considered purchasing appeared to be just molded into the plastic TV body. They appear to be a major weak point - not optimized for the heavy vibration of road travel. There may be a question that the threads into the back of the TV could fail over time.
Sony has a vehicle mounting disclaimer and says the following in the small print in the safety info in the manual. “Do not install this TV in a vehicle, ship or other vessel. Excessive bumping motion of a moving vehicle or continuous swaying motion on a boat my cause the TV to fall down and cause injury”. Sony is covering their liability issues in high stress pounding, especially in boats. Again, previous threads have discussed this issue and the fact that, although made for RV TVs exist and are ruggedized for RV use, most of what we see and hear being installed appears to be just standard off the shelf units. They seem to be working out fine when properly installed.
With all this in mind, IMHO, I would not mount a large screen TV overhead in the front of the coach over the driver (outside of a cabinet to contain it) without:
1) Some form of additional support under the TV to relieve the fatigue stress off the mounting threads and impart the stress to the full TV chassis (as I have done via a small shelf).
2) Some additional kind of overall fail safe system (in my case the safety straps).
3) Plenty of margin in the TV mount. I used a TV mount rated for 130 lbs to support a 32 lb TV.
Sorry for all the verbiage, but a large screen TV mounted outside of a containment cabinet in the traditional top front location presents a number of design and safety considerations. Check out the pictures. I’m not endorsing that you do it like this as your install has its own safety and liability issues. I’m just sharing what I have done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4913.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	13995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4917.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	13996  

Name:	IMG_4963.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	13997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4966.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	13998  

Name:	IMG_4984.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	13999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	14000  

Name:	IMG_4986.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	14001  
rvfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rvfellow, thanks for the install report. Threads like these are extremely valuable for ideas and tricks when we are ready to do our own upgrades.

Thanks.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that is a big TV. Did ya' have to counter weight the rear of the rig to keep from nose diving when you hit the brakes. Seriously, nice job you've done. IIRC thats the first 40 inch conversion I've seen.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
rvfellow,

Nice install. Glad to see oter people do the "impossible" stuff, too.

I am working on installing a 40" flat screen in our "new" rv. Mine will mount on a wall, and be hidden when the slide is in. The wall houses a pocket door, so mounting points are limited.

I spent a lot of time on-line looking for a mount to use, but nothing seemed right. Found one I thought would do the trick, but after seeing it in person, I realized the mounting system was backwards to what I needed.

After reading your post and seeing your setup, I realized all I need are some of those holey angles. I can bolt angles to the wall vertically, bolting through (I have rear access) the wall supports. Then mount 2 short angles on the tv. 2 threaded rods with nuts on the ends, one top and one bottom, and it will hang nicely and securely.

It will even allow for vertical height adjusment. With a little more fab work, I can also make it tilt down a bit, for better viewing.

Thanks for the pictures, they stimulated my brain!

Mike
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
After reading your post and seeing your setup, I realized all I need are some of those holey angles.
Lowe's or Home Depot, even our little hardware store has it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is the make/brand of the TV mount? And where did you get it? This installation looks perfect for my application. Thanks in advance.

Dukeinhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Mr_D

Thanks for the info, but I knew that already. I just had not thought of using them untill I saw the pics.

Already measured out and drawn up in AutoCAD.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a similar project in our Bounder. Took out the lunker CRT that weighed over 110 lbs. Put in a 37" Vizio from Wal-Mart.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1158360...eat=directlink.

Album is on Picassa.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments, and thanks again to everyone for all the contributions in previous threads. I would never have ventured into this project without the ideas generated on this forum.
Dukeinhaler, the TV mount is a Simplicity model SLF1. Price $199.00. The Sony is a KDL-40NX711. Price $799.00. We got both at Costco.
Also, I’m open to any would have/should have comments on my install. More people are going to be installing larger and larger sets. The Forum’s experience, insight, ideas, and helpful comments are, as Alvinc mentioned, extremely valuable when they plan their future upgrades. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Beautiful install. Thanks for the ideas in your pictures.

Not everyone is as clumsy as I am, but are the corners of the new shelf a head knocker issue? Perhaps a solution might be rounded corners on the leading edge
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the exact same rig and would like to do a similar install. Where did you get the wood to match the original wood for the shelf? VERY nice install by the way!!
jscribn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #12

40 Inch TV Install in Front Coach Overhead

To match the color I removed a door and took it over to a local branch of Rockler Woodworking and Hardware. They had a guy who identified the type of wood (Alder) and used his best judgement to guess the stain. He was very helpful and even opened a few cans and tried it on a spare piece of wood. I had already cut the shelf from red oak so I did not try to match the wood. If your coach has the same color as mine the stain he gave me was General Finishes "Chandlelite" Gel Stain. I used a standard Polyurethane topcoat for protection.

Rockler is national:
Woodworking Tools Supplies Hardware Plans Finishing - Rockler.com
800 279-4441

Any other questions, just let me know. It was a pretty fun project. Post some photos when you are done. Also, deanandec is correct, a more rounded shelf edge would likely save some bumped heads.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #13

If anybody is looking for a very good mount for their TV, CheetahMounts are sold on Amazon at a good price. The one I bought APDAM2 wall mount can be used in a lot of different ways.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice job on the install. I like seeing these installs. Sometime in the future (about 2-3 years) we are planning on selling our house & upgrading our MH. I have a fairly new 50" Panasonic & 7.1 surround sound system I would like to incorporate into what ever we purchase. Although I am thinking maybe an outside setup. I think the 50" would be too big for overhead, it would need to retractable to the ceiling, I think.

Tags
install