Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #57

Interested
dollydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #58

For all the late replies/interest - Solution/Answer is in Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
OK....looks like there are enough people interested. I wrote some instructions this morning. May need your feedback directly on the Doc to know what makes sense or doesn't.

Again, know yourself. If you are a noob (You may be, if you don't know what that term means....Google it) and have to regularly ask others to help you figure out things on the internet or when installing network devices, you may want to have a friend help you. I can't. The instructions I provide are not step-by-step on each and every thing you need to do. Manuals come with the devices. You should know how to navigate an Android phone. You need to be able to read manuals and figure out what they are telling you to do. I'm trying my best not become tech-support for hundreds of RVers around the country for free. Just passing along something I discovered that I feel is perfect for me.

The following is a link to a Google Doc I created. I have given it comment level access for a while. If there is something that doesn't make sense or work as I wrote it, you can highlight some text, right-click and leave a comment. When I feel the document has all questions answered, I may take away that ability in the future and have it only be View-Only access.

Hope you find this as awesome as I did. FYI...I had Cricket Wireless and could consume as much as 170G a month on their unlimited plan, but they recently cancelled my account because I used too much unlimited (I know, doesn't make sense....somebody doesn't understand English well). I'm acutally glad that happened. Now I get off the weak AT&T coverage, pay less a month (was paying $70 at Cricket), and get what I need still. The thing about this option is that the service is very bold in stating clearly that they are honestly unlimited. You might see slowing during times of high congestion after you use 70G, but only cord-cutters streaming lots of Netlix (like we do) will reach that, and you will only notice during the worst times of the day.

Lastly, the cellular service is a pre-paid....no contract. I have not had it long enough to see what happens when I don't pay (because I'm home and don't need it) and then pay to start it up again. They claim it is simple and not problem, but sometimes services like to charge an activation fee. I'm on the road for 7 months, home for a month, road for another 2 months, home for 2 months. I'm hoping that I can pay only for the months I use it and not when home without penalty. They claim that. I haven't done that yet.

I hope this helps.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

FYI,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #59

If you've been in the hunt for something as stated above, please let me know. [/QUOTE]
We opted for the FMCA free Jet Pack and pay $40 per month for unlimited data. Sure paid off on a recent trip to FL when we stayed in parks with heavy tree canopies. Streamed movies and news programs and just about everything else for 5 weeks. Recently, our home modem died so we just paired the TV with the Jet Pack and continued binge watching GOT. Works excellent for everything we need.
botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely interested.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by botiemad View Post
If you've been in the hunt for something as stated above, please let me know.
We opted for the FMCA free Jet Pack and pay $40 per month for unlimited data. Sure paid off on a recent trip to FL when we stayed in parks with heavy tree canopies. Streamed movies and news programs and just about everything else for 5 weeks. Recently, our home modem died so we just paired the TV with the Jet Pack and continued binge watching GOT. Works excellent for everything we need.
That is not a bad option for many. It is used by a lot already. The option I wrote in Post #10 has a couple of unique difference for the real heavy internet users:

1) The FMCA is for 2 years, after that you will pay the full rate upon the $70+/month. Visible is $40 forever (they claim)

2) Unlimited is not unlimited anywhere. They all screw with this term. For Verizon and the Jetpac, you will get the highspeed internet up until you reach their, uuummmm, limits. For $75/month on "beyond" unlimited, the limit 22GB (15GB for hotspot), and then throttled after that. If you pay $85 for the "Above Unlimited", you get 20GB on the hotspot. When these plans do throttle, TV won't be a nice option. With the jetpack, once you reach these limits the can reduce the bandwidth to 600Kbps...which is not good for streaming anything.

You save up front on the FMCA plan, but if you need more data or want it for more than 2 years, you will quickly pay more for that once you start paying the real costs after two years.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #62

Not mobile at this time but interested

Howdy! Hi! Hello!
Interested in the how to.
Using this ZTE Mobley for years as internet access in my local area. But intend to travel the western U.S. Verizon network may have coverage where AT&T doesn't, so an alternative is interesting!
Researching various plans, prepay, senior and veteran discounts is work.
So it's good to hear what works reliably for a reasonable price.
Who knows what government legislation will be passed to improve individual and business internet access. Or not. Like other posters said, plans come and go.
So, yes I'm interested too.
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #63

Thank you for the document gsgriffin!
I'll read and research this as an alternative.
And hope everything is available when-
Happy trails. Keep camping!
homesteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer1john View Post
Hopefully this is a yes/no answer. We're full-time and currently have an Alfa wifi range extender antenna and router and connect multiple devices in the RV to park wifi through the single Alfa connection. I also can use my verizon phone as a hotspot for cellular internet, but only have a 2GB data plan because data is expensive and we use campground wifi whenever available and don't stream video or anything.

Can I just configure my router to point to the visible phone (or connect multiple devices to its hotspot) without buying the equipment in your "kit"? Before I retired I was a network engineer so be as geeky as you need to.

Thanks.
See Post#10 for the HOW TO on the setup

HOW TO on POST #10

If you want to try to save the $80 for the router, you can certainly try. Not sure of exactly the make and model of your setup. I've tried several other routers in the past for a variety of connection scenarios, and most didn't work properly. The one advantage to this setup is that is can do just about any type of connection you are trying to do. I really like that the phone from Visible comes with the tethering option and hotspot option built-in and for the same cost. I really like that this router is designed already (without mods) to be used with a phone plugged into it or a USB modem plugged into it. And I like that the router is designed to be powered by USB, which means I can plug it into battery power easily to work it all....don't need 110v on if boondocking.

You can always try the phone, turn on the HOTSPOT function for the phone and see if you can repeat (most likely bridge) the wifi signal. Repeating won't work as I believe their is a 1 connection limit on direction connections this basic phone.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 05-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #65

Thanks for sharing this info. I am going to dig deeper into this and see if it will work for us. My wife works remotely and we have to ensure she has good internet no matter where we are. Right now we are using a hotspot from ATT and a cellular antenna but that is not always reliable either. We think that it may be a good idea to have two different services in order to ensure that we always have internet no matter where we are. This summer will be headed northwest and there seems to be a lot of dead areas for ATT.

Thanks,
Tony
tsgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #66

AT&T vs Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgiff View Post
Thanks for sharing this info. I am going to dig deeper into this and see if it will work for us. My wife works remotely and we have to ensure she has good internet no matter where we are. Right now we are using a hotspot from ATT and a cellular antenna but that is not always reliable either. We think that it may be a good idea to have two different services in order to ensure that we always have internet no matter where we are. This summer will be headed northwest and there seems to be a lot of dead areas for ATT.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony,

We have Cricket (AT&T) for our phones and now Visible for the internet. I thought the AT&T towers would be enough as we traveled all throughout the US and Canada (just abrely down into Mexico as well), but they really are not. Almost everywhere I've parked, Verizon has a good signal, but AT&T is weak of not at all. This is not everywhere, but when you are leaving the cities and going to less populated areas, Verizon wins.

FYI...I'm parked south of Olympia, WA right now and live in Montana. AT&T struggles still. If we happen to be in an area that AT&T serves better, we can use our Cricket phones, but they are not keen on tethering your phone and will cancel you if they feel you are using too much....which Visible will not do.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #67

T-Mobile has a great unlimited plan for seniors that is $35 per line with no contract. We just switched from ATT and it has worked really well. We had a Verizon hotspot for several years but it was expensive. So far we are really pleased with the T-Mobile plan and coverage.
JBradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #68

I'm interested
cladouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #69

Add me too
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladouce View Post
I'm interested
He posted the link to a Google doc early in the thread. Look in the first 15 posts or so.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet