Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #295

Monaco Owners Club
I just received the R2 phone and when I go to setup the hotspot all I see is hotspot via USB or Bluetooth. Can you make the R2 a wifi hotspot ---ie.. without cable (bluetooth isn't really suitable)? Is this an R2 limitation? IE.. can you do a traditional hotspot on other Android phones (Pixel) via wifi?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
I just received the R2 phone and when I go to setup the hotspot all I see is hotspot via USB or Bluetooth. Can you make the R2 a wifi hotspot ---ie.. without cable?
I don’t think that’s an option with the R2 :(
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I am trying to get around some location based restrictions for sports. It took about 10 minutes total to sign up for a VPN through Private Internet Access and load the client config into the router recommended in this thread. I was able to test the new location via Speedtest on my laptop and hope that it works tonight for a game

I’ll update this post once I’ve tested it.
MLB.TV works with the VPN. If I forget to deactivate the VPN, Hulu won’t work :( That is not a major issue, though.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #298

Quote:
I just received the R2 phone and when I go to setup the hotspot all I see is hotspot...
Click on the "Mobile Hotspot" text and turn it on.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #299

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,... on my phone the R2, the only options that show are "USB Tethering" and "Bluetooth Tethering"... I'm looking for wifi tethering. If you have another option on an R2, please take a screen snapshot and share.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #300

Quote:
If you have another option on an R2, please take a screen snapshot and share.

Select the "Mobile HotSpot" text and the next page appears.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
Select the "Mobile HotSpot" text and the next page appears.

Mine doesn’t have that. What version of the OS are you running? Any mods other than what was posted in this thread?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Mine doesn’t have that. What version of the OS are you running? Any mods other than what was posted in this thread?
8.1.0 and no.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #303

Thumbs up R2 Hot spot

I have the R2 and I just use the home screen. go to your "pull down" icons, go to page 2(on mine) and click on Mobile Hotspot. For some reason I can't get the hot spot in Settings at all but just use the front screen.
Doug
voy108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by voy108 View Post
...use the home screen. go to your "pull down" icons, go to page 2(on mine) and click on Mobile Hotspot...
Doug
Yes
Old 08-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #305

Do you have the Hotspot Feature in the Visible App?
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #306

Monaco Owners Club
!!!! IT WORKS!! Thanks everyone, sounds stupid now, but when I looked at the screen and saw "Mobile Hotspot", that looked like the heading to a category in the menu and I never thought to click on that. Well now that I've shown my ignorance -- thanks!!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Not for Hotsptot. The phone's internet will not be capped for early adopters and people signing up in the next few weeks but the Hotspot will be capped again at 5mb in about 3-4 weeks for everyone including us, the early adopters..

Q: So, I can enjoy the new hotspot speeds until the cap is there, but don't overenjoy it and be a (insert 4 letter word)?
A (MVNOResearch): yep

Hotspot 5 Mbps Throttle to Return in ~3 Weeks
Here is that Thread

Now don't shoot the messenger. I also did post here about this speed boost feature a few weeks ago for a heads up.

As I Posted a couple days ago, We'll see what happens with the phone USB tethered to a router/computer in 3-4 weeks, we may eventually have a work-around anyways

Visible lifted the 5Mb/s speed cap on June 26 and claimed that the hotspot speed would remain capped. I am still getting uncapped speed connected to my hotspot. It's been almost 2 months. Hopefully this will continue unchanged.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #308

Yes, I'm still experiencing uncapped on both a April R2 activation (swap) and recent mid July activation (two different accounts), both for the R2's Hotspot and USB tether and I have not rebooted either (and no updates).

However, I've seen recent Reddit posts where the cap is in place for Hotspot on recent R2 activations for those posting but that may be issues for just those.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet