Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Question ? about cable / digital TV / RV connection.

I'm sure this has been brought up on another thread. When I'm at a campground offering cable TV, I'll run the cable to the outside trailer cable connector. Inside the trailer I'll use the normal cable connection that comes out of the wall, and hook that to the HD TV. And I'll push the small black button for the "signal boost" out of that wall connector. But no signal????

The only way to get a cable signal is to run the cable directly to the back of the TV from the campgrounds post, by-passing the trailers built-in cable wiring. I'm thinking something in the trailers wiring is not excepting a HD cable signal.

Now when I'm at a campground without cable, I'll just use the bat-wing antenna and use the "power boost" connection, and run that to the back of the HD TV.....no problem....

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somewhere near your TV, or near the "boost" button you should have a switch, or a box with a bunch of push-buttons, that allows you to select a specific signal source. In our Bounder we've got one to switch between rooftop and cable input.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
NO, we just have a hybrid trailer. The cover plate where the "power boost" button is says "Winegard". It consists of the a 12 volt outlet , a threaded connection for a CO-ax cable and the power boost button to get a better signal when using the batwing roof top antenna. When you push the power boost button a small green light comes on. When I do only us the roof top antenna the power or signal boost button does really help and getting a better signal.....
Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

As I understand it, "Cable" provides an analog antenna equivalent signal on 75-ohm coax, like the over-the-air stations sent out before the FCC screwed everything up.. It shouldn't be routed through a digital-to-analog converter like you would with over-the-air signals coming in through your antenna, as it is already analog.

I don't have any idea how HD works in that situation. Maybe you should ask the campground what their "Cable" system puts out.

We live in "Comcast Land" when not travelling. and they digitized their cable signal to a completely different standard than the FCC -mandated system. At home, we have to use the Comcast "translator" box and its remote to watch TV, with the TV set to CH 3. We (dinosaurs) have convetional 4:3 analog TV sets.

In the RV (acquired just 2 months ago), we've got a distribution box which takes inputs from antenna, VCR and "aux" and lets us send the signals to the front or bedroom TV sets. We don't watch over-the-air TV very much, but do watch VCR tapes and DVDs, particularly when camping later in the year when it gets dark early.

We found an interesting quirk, thanks to an alert nephew. Both TV's are REALLY analog. Their only input is a co-ax antenna socket. Our DVD only puts out the composite L Audio, R Audio and video on RCA plugs. I mentioned to nephew that I was looking for a converter to make the DVD output into an antenna signal.

He said, if you have a VCR, all you have to do is route the three RCA cables to the VCR's compatible input terminals, select the appropriate "Source" and run the VCR's antenna outlet to yhe distibution box. Damned if he wasn't right - we watched a DVD movie and looked at a set of photos on DVD the other night.

We still need to get the D/A converter to let us watch over-the-air stations.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

I don't know about the rest of your cable routing, but you should not use the booster for a cable signal.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Maybe that is my problem. No matter if I have the power boost button on or off, I get no reception. But if I run the coax cable right to the back of the TV it works fine. With a hybrid I snake the coax cable thru one of the bunk ends velcro flaps.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

Superslif, your type of outlet runs the signal through an amplifier. Even when it is switched off, it still filters out certain frequencies. I don't know the specifics, but I was not able to pass the signal from a satellite dish through that type of outlet. Apparently, the cable signal you had was of a certain frequency that would not pass through. Older analog cable should pass, but not digital cable. Anyway, my solution in our former RV was to run a separate straight through TV connection from the outside. Looks like you have to do the same.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 3 connections up front for tv.1 for front tv 1 for bedroom,and one for outside.I have the front and bedroom tv's connected to the batwing,and the outside wire connected to 2nd input in back of my tv.So when I camp at sites that offer cable I connect to outside jack and set my tv to 2nd input.I think that most newer tv's have 2 or more inputs,if your doesn't go to radioshack and get a switchbox that you can connect 2 or more cables and switch back and fourth.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Superslif,

Most larger RVs have a distribution box to handle switching from one source to another and from one TV to another. Smaller RVs will have the type of wall-mounted connector you describe.

The entry-level travel trailer we used to have had just a wall-mounted Winegard connector with a boost button. We did have an external connector for cable, but we almost never camped where there was cable so I can't remember how to connect to cable inside. I think the cable had a separate connector somewhere on the wall. The Winegard connector was just for antenna.

Even if you have a newer TV with multiple inputs, it's likely there will only be 1 RF (cable) connector on the TV. Therefore, if you have to connect separate wires for antenna and cable, you could use an A-B switch. That way, you could switch from cable to antenna without having to disconnect wires.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Superslif, your type of outlet runs the signal through an amplifier. Even when it is switched off, it still filters out certain frequencies. I don't know the specifics, but I was not able to pass the signal from a satellite dish through that type of outlet. Apparently, the cable signal you had was of a certain frequency that would not pass through. Older analog cable should pass, but not digital cable. Anyway, my solution in our former RV was to run a separate straight through TV connection from the outside. Looks like you have to do the same.
I think that sums it up. that is what I have. It's not too often we camp where we have cable. So just un-curling a section of CO-AX cable from the post and threading it thru the bunk end to the TV is a 2 minute job. We camp at a lot of state parks, so cable is not going to happen...Hopefully on our next higher grade RV a better system will be included.

Thanx for all the input...I wanted to make sure I was not doing some thing wrong.....