Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adding more than 5 devices to a Mobley

My iRV2 research on this has only added to my frustration & ignorance!

I want an inexpensive router (under $50) to connect my Mobley via its USB port that will permit more than 5 wireless devices to connect simultaneously effortlessly. Will someone provide one or more names & models of routers?

Thanks.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Hmm, using USB I don't know anything under $50 for sure that will do it. There are multiple devices that will connect via WiFi and then make another wifi access point to connect to.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

If all you need is to be able to connect more than 5 devices then the easiest/simplest solution is to simply move the SIM to a different hotspot. The AT&T Unite Velocity allows 10 connections and the Unite Explore allows 15. And the Unite Explore provides other options as well such as carrier aggregation (potential for much faster speeds), support for an external antenna, and 2 and 5 GHz Wifi bands. The Velocty can be had for about $50 and the Explore more like $125, but it is top-of-the-line right now.

You can also get one of the GL.iNet travel routers on Amazon for under $50 and with the right tweaking they will connect via USB and do the job, but for a non-technical person simply using another hotspot is easier. Many do this and AT&T doesn't seem to care.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

Jim, not an inexpensive solution but I run my Mobley over WiFi connected to a WiFi Ranger and then have unlimited device connection. There is a way to do the USB tether to the WFR but I don't bother as the two devices are in the same cabinet. There are other routers out there that do similar connections but nothing in the $50 price range that I know of.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #5

You'll need to up your budget a bit if you don't want to use a wifi-extender (which are in your budget). EDIT: Sorry these will just re-transmit the signal via wifi. I've never had good luck with them.

I have a Pepwave Surf on the Go Router. It's one of the cheapest I could find that will re-transmit a signal as you're asking. I think they're about $120 on Amazon. It's worked well for us for a while now.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #6

I use this one. Hooked wirelessly to the Mobley although you could use a USB cable. Works fine and is in the $25 range.

https://www.amazon.com/GL-AR150-Conv...rds=B015cydvg8
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
I use this one. Hooked wirelessly to the Mobley although you could use a USB cable. Works fine and is in the $25 range.

ANY of the GL.inet routers work great. They allow you to connect and repeat the signal to all your devices. GL.Inet does make routers with external antennas, and the range is quite insane. Usually more than 3 football fields with minimal interference. Pretty slick.

In my case, I find a wifi access point I want, connect to it on the router - then all of my devices simply connect to my GL.inet router which has a different SSID. That way I don't have to change all of my device settings.

[Full disclosure, I haven't used it on a Mobley, but I use it on most everything else I have].
TangoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
If all you need is to be able to connect more than 5 devices then the easiest/simplest solution is to simply move the SIM to a different hotspot. The AT&T Unite Velocity allows 10 connections and the Unite Explore allows 15. And the Unite Explore provides other options as well such as carrier aggregation (potential for much faster speeds), support for an external antenna, and 2 and 5 GHz Wifi bands. The Velocty can be had for about $50 and the Explore more like $125, but it is top-of-the-line right now.

You can also get one of the GL.iNet travel routers on Amazon for under $50 and with the right tweaking they will connect via USB and do the job, but for a non-technical person simply using another hotspot is easier. Many do this and AT&T doesn't seem to care.

Remember that the limit of 5 is at any one time, you can have 40 devices looking for the Mobley, but only 5 can connect at a time, just alternate when they are turn on. For example both my wife and I have iPhones and iPads (4 devices) plus our Fire Stick. When I want to print I turn off the Fire Stick (or an Apple device) and turn on the printer, still only 5 devices!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

I'm using this TP-Link at home with a Mobley as a backup internet connection and now one in my coach. Under $30.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a hotspot repeater, so you can leave your devices connected to the router. If you happen to go to a campground with good WiFi or if at home, you can login and switch the router to repeat the WiFi rather than Mobley.

It's not much bigger than the Mobley, as it's meant to be a travel router (to repeat/share hotel WiFi.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #10

I too have planed to go with an Open-WRT based solution, but so far have not seen a need with typically 2 people at a time in the motorhome up until now that would be 2 phones connected to wifi, my notebook computer and my wife's tablet, but now we will be adding a Roku for the TV for will start bumping up to the 5 device limit. So it may be time for me to finish this project.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Remember that the limit of 5 is at any one time, you can have 40 devices looking for the Mobley, but only 5 can connect at a time, just alternate when they are turn on. For example both my wife and I have iPhones and iPads (4 devices) plus our Fire Stick. When I want to print I turn off the Fire Stick (or an Apple device) and turn on the printer, still only 5 devices!
Yes, thanks, sometimes we don't make clear that when we say 'only five at a time' we mean five simultaneous connections, otherwise no limit of course. And truth be told most people don't often need more than five simultaneous connections, although I guess it is possible given that almost everything seems to connect to WiFi these days.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
You'll need to up your budget a bit if you don't want to use a wifi-extender (which are in your budget). EDIT: Sorry these will just re-transmit the signal via wifi. I've never had good luck with them.

I have a Pepwave Surf on the Go Router. It's one of the cheapest I could find that will re-transmit a signal as you're asking. I think they're about $120 on Amazon. It's worked well for us for a while now.
Thom, did you connect the Pepwave to the Mobley via USB or WiFi as WAN. I understand connecting via USB allows for faster connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post

Is there any tech support for this product? I would consider trying it but I know I will need help getting it to work, especially via USB.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Thom, did you connect the Pepwave to the Mobley via USB or WiFi as WAN. I understand connecting via USB allows for faster connections.
I am using wifi. While I'd love to do the USB thing I've never had any luck getting it connected to the router that way. It may be that the router just isn't "smart" enough but more likely is that I am not smart enough so I just leave it as is and deal with it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Is there any tech support for this product? I would consider trying it but I know I will need help getting it to work, especially via USB.
Someone gave me a couple of settings before but I don't remember what I did with the info. I didn't want to screw up my router settings to try so I just skipped it.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #14

I bought the little brother of that GL router off Amazon a few weeks ago to set up with my Mobley, when I get around to getting it done I will try to post a step by step set of instructions.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote