Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Aiming satellite procedure that helps

Like many we full time and move every few weeks and setting up the satellite dish can be aggravating (more than once I wanted to make it a Frisbee) . I figured out how to make it easier to find the signal when returning to a park.

First after you get the dish pointed and have a strong signal using the meter on the TV I use my smart phone and use 2 apps. The first app is a compass and the second is a degree or incline.
I use the compass and hold the phone horizontally and put the top of the phone on one of the LNBs and wright that reading down. Next I use the incline app and hold the side of the phone on the LNB and wright that down. I look at the Skew markings in the dish and copy that. I then go to the memo app and record them ie.

Florida
Orlando
16 Degree 220 SW Skew 140

Clearbrook
14 Degree 229 SW Skew 135

I do this every park we go to and when we return set up is easier. You don't need to level the tripod and guess at the compass readings. Just use the 2 apps on your phone and an inline meter to find signal then fine tune using the TV signal strength. I know some of you use auto dishes but many parks we go to have trees and you can't get a signal unless you can move the dish to a open location. I have a library of several states many locations stored in the memo app. After you get a few parks in one state recorded you can use that info to gauge settings if visiting a new park.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

I've seen some RV resorts print that info on their welcome packet. You'd think that would be a fairly common request and helpful info. There are also several websites to help find camping locations that display cell signal strength, that would be a good feature to add to their site information.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
My procedure is similar, it usually takes about 10 minutes to get everyting up and running.

1) Assemble the dish and set the EL and SKEW on the dish.

2) Level the tripod where it has a clear view of the sky in the direction of the Azimuth (generally south) This is probably the most important step there is. If the tripod isn't level, its almost impossible to aim the dish.

3) Place the dish on the leveled tripod and point it in the general direction of the AZ (azimuth) (re-verify level)

4) Connect the dish to the receiver, using an inexpensive squawk meter.

5) Cover the two outside LNBs so they cannot see a satellite . Use the Center LNB only for aiming.

6) Slowly move the dish back and forth near the azimuth. You should get a peak signal on the squawk meter. This should be Sat 119.

7) On the receivers AIM page, verify that its seeing 119, and not 110 or 129.

8) tilt and rotate the dish slightly to peak the signal on the squawk meter.

9) Tighten everything down. remove the squawk meter, remove the covers on the two outside LNB.

10 Get a bear and go watch the game.

I printed all this up, with photos and other recommendation on my site.

Using our home Dishnet receiver while on the road | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SatAnt_10_600.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	157178   Click image for larger version

Name:	SatAnt_5_600a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	157179  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SatAnt_1_600.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	157180  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

Waiter21 Using the apps on my smart phone I don't have to level tripod you get the elevation by using the degree/incline app. The azimuth with the compass app and get the skew from your TV aiming menu screen.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting, Tripod not being level can effect the aiming elevation and skew angles. The published angles rely on the mount being level.

In the western US, the satellites are almost beside each other so its fairly easy to get 110, 119, and 129 mixed up (horizontal with 90 deg skew). But when you start traveling east, the satellites are more above and below each other (Actually about 45 degrees above and below)
Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

I have a fence post level mounted on my tripod and get it close like I stated the elevation is off the LNB and the Skew is a ruff setting stamped into the dish that you can hardly read. I just get the Skew close and it works well enough for me to get all 2 satellites and all HD channels. Like I stated in my original post this is what I do as I move from park to park and it works well for me. Before doing this there were times it took me a lot of time standing in the hot sun trying to find a signal now it goes much faster.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I gave up trying to aim a portable dish. I now push a button on my Travell'er and let it find them for me.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
No difference then anyone else in the last few years. Sorry, I was really hoping for something really new and improved.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

You need to be specific that your procedure only applies to Dish Network dishes. If you fail to get your post perfectly vertical with a DirecTV setup you are begging for issues with the 99 and 103 satellites. Ka signals are a lot more sensitive to proper alignment than the Ku signals used exclusively by Dish.

I still think you are asking for trouble by not making sure your post is vertical before you start. But, if it works for you, go for it.

I use Dish Pointer in my PC browser and get all my settings for our trips ahead of time. For me, that is much easier than the procedure you have here.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #10

I am the OP, the information that I posted was to give others an option to do things easier, or excuse me, easier for (me.) We all post ways that make RVing easier, more fun and helpful. I have posted other things that I find that enhance our RV life only to find others tear it down and tell you it can't or wont work. It may not work for them but others may find suggestions that are posted helpful. What I posted was a way to record settings so when you return to that location it makes it easier (for me) to do my set up. If it doesn't work for you that's ok. I am by no means an expert these posts are just what I do, and if you can use any or all suggestion that's what information is for.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ Exactly.

I'd add to anyone who is having difficulties making your procedure work, before you give up, try leveling the tripod, then try again.

Tags
satellite