Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Aiming TV antenna

If I want to point my RV TV antenna North (for example), I point the circled part of the antenna North..........correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	179234  
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
No Idea, replaced that type with a "Jack" antennae that has LED signal strength lights.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
No Idea, replaced that type with a "Jack" antennae that has LED signal strength lights.
Yeah, someday I'll get around to that.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, you are correct... but sometimes pointing it the opposite direction works just as well

Get you a tv station finder app for your tablet or phone to tell you which way to point it...
Old 10-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Yes, you are correct... but sometimes pointing it the opposite direction works just as well

Get you a tv station finder app for your tablet or phone to tell you which way to point it...
Yeah, I use TV fool to find the channels.

I was thinking that, too. Either point it directly or 180 degrees the other way. Wasn't sure.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:23 AM   #6

I use TVFool.com to find the direction the towers are at. This will also tell me how far the antenna towers are away from me. I then find that point on my compass which I sit on the top of the passenger seat right below my antenna crank. I then point the antenna to that direction. I do the scan and I then use either the TV or my Directv AM21 signal meter to peak the strength.

I usually find out the directions from where I am staying prior to taking the trip. This way after I park I can turn the antenna in the direction I want and the channel scan can be running while I am doing other setting up things.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

This takes some of the guess work out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #8
YC1

That is the correct way. The little antenna add on is a yagi omnidirectional antenna. It has high gain in one direction and rejects signals from the rear. Not all of course but some.

Simple on some televisions to check because they have signal strength meters. Check your tv menu to see if you have one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I use TVFool.com to find the direction the towers are at. This will also tell me how far the antenna towers are away from me. I then find that point on my compass which I sit on the top of the passenger seat right below my antenna crank. I then point the antenna to that direction. I do the scan and I then use either the TV or my Directv AM21 signal meter to peak the strength.
The pointer on the ceiling plate may not be aligned with the antenna. I added a mark so that the antenna direction can be determined from indoors.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That is the correct way. The little antenna add on is a yagi omnidirectional antenna. It has high gain in one direction and rejects signals from the rear. Not all of course but some.

Those small elements make the antenna more directional and are not a omnidirectional device.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
If I want to point my RV TV antenna North (for example), I point the circled part of the antenna North..........correct?
Yes, that circled part is called the "Wingman", which is an add on to the basic Batwing manual antenna. It increases the signal capture from transmitters in the direction it's pointed at. I use TV Antenna Helper App or Digital TV Antennas App to provide me with the optimal direction to recieve free channels. The I just point my Wingman in the direction these Apps tell you. You must also turn your signal booster on to get the most channels. The apps make it so much easier to set the manual antenna.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
Yes, that circled part is called the "Wingman", which is an add on to the basic Batwing manual antenna. It increases the signal capture from transmitters in the direction it's pointed at. I use TV Antenna Helper App or Digital TV Antennas App to provide me with the optimal direction to recieve free channels. The I just point my Wingman in the direction these Apps tell you. You must also turn your signal booster on to get the most channels. The apps make it so much easier to set the manual antenna.
All through SSTraveler..........thanks for the info! I use TV Fool and like it, but I guess didn't really think about using the TV as a "meter" to determine where the strongest signal is.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Those small elements make the antenna more directional and are not a omnidirectional device.

I apparently did a poor job of proof reading.

Of course it is "Directional".

Don't try this at home folks. I am a telecommunications professional and have installed thousands of antennas in 40 years.

I could get my FCC (Federal Communications Commission) first class pulled for this.

Sorry and it is too late for me to edit my post.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

I apparently did a poor job of proof reading.

Of course it is "Directional".

Don't try this at home folks. I am a telecommunications professional and have installed thousands of antennas in 40 years.

I could get my FCC (Federal Communications Commission) first class pulled for this.

Sorry and it is too late for me to edit my post.
We forgive you Thanks for helping answer my question!

Tags
antenna