RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Alfa WiFi Camp Pro or Wave Rouge Pro Wifi Antenna

I'm looking at using a roof mounted WIFI antenna from E-Riggers ELECTRIC ANTENNA
that will be mounted to an electric antenna mount that will allow me to raise & lower the antenna from inside the coach. With this mount & an antenna extension I will have my antenna 3-4 feet above my roof.

I have been looking at the WIFIRanger AC & the Wave Rouge Pro. Now I see there is a Alfa WiFi Camp Pro.

My main concern is to have the best chance of accessing a WIFI signal.

Yes, I know that the WIFI is only as good as the source - LOL.

I know the Wave Rouge Pro has been very popular in the boating world & with great praise as does the WIFIRanger has good reviews in the RV world.

I am leaning towards the Wave Rouge Pro antenna but open to hear what6 you have to say....

From A price point...
WifiRanger is up there
The Rouge Pro is just a bit less
& the Alfa WiFi Camp Pro is a good bit less but I know nothing about it.

Any input would be great

StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am using a Ubiquity bullet. Very similar to all three. Software features differ between each, but all basically do the same thing. The Alpha Camp Pro is very easy to configure being a USB interface (instead of cat5 and IP) between the inside router and the antenna radio. For the money I like the Alpha Camp Pro.

Your selected antenna lift gizmo selection is very neat, albeit spendy.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Your selected antenna lift gizmo selection is very neat, albeit spendy.
Albeit spendy you say... what about a coach is not spendy?

But I wanted a retractable power device that would raise & lower a rooftop WIFI antenna. Someone told me about this E-Riggers boating mount they ordered for their Dutch Star & liked it. And if I add a Shakespeare 1' or 2' Galaxy Antenna Extender, I can get the WIFI antenna up higher.

E-Riggers even came up with a way to wire it so that if I turn the ignition key on & forgot to lower the antenna, it goes down automatically.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:49 AM   #4

New to rv world

Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt your thread, but my husband and I just bought our first rv and have a question on WiFi equipment. Do any of these antennas offer the ability to secure the signal? We aren't too concerned about checking emails, but are very about doing online banking while on the go. Was considering getting a Netgear device that I can secure. Suggestions?

I appreciate any information you are willing to share .

Thanks,
Janet
Yojama95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojama95 View Post
Hi all,

Sorry to interrupt your thread, but my husband and I just bought our first rv and have a question on WiFi equipment. Do any of these antennas offer the ability to secure the signal? We aren't too concerned about checking emails, but are very about doing online banking while on the go. Was considering getting a Netgear device that I can secure. Suggestions?

I appreciate any information you are willing to share .

Thanks,
Janet
Several threads here regarding wireless security. Basically if the local and CG wifi connections have security enabled, then the air link is secure.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Several threads here regarding wireless security. Basically if the local and CG wifi connections have security enabled, then the air link is secure.
With all due respect, this answer is a bit confused and some clarification would be helpful.

A campground's wifi may or may not have password-based security. Many simply have a "splash screen" (an opening page) which says something like "welcome to ABC campground" on which you have to enter your name or site number or something like that. That's not the same as having encrypted, password-protected security.

The good news for you as a camper is that none of this matters since virtually every financial or online shopping site you will be dealing with uses the SSL ("Secure Sockets Layer") encryption protocol. This is what causes the webpage to show up in your browser as "HTTPS" and causes your browser to display lock symbols (depending on which browser you use).

SSL is an exceedingly secure 128-bit encryption system and it doesn't matter at all if the local CG wifi is encrypted or not. You can find lots of discussion threads here and elsewhere if you search for them. The bottom line is that the security between your computer and the site you are communicating with doesn't depend a bit on whether or not the wifi link you are connected to is secure or not.

You will also find that there are "trolls" who will warn you that SSL isn't secure and that you are still vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks which is often enough to scare elderly RVers away from using wifi. In reality, these dangers lurking in the shadows can be avoided by making sure that you only connect to the CG's wifi and not the one that shows up on your computer as "Joe's free wifi" or something like that.

The bottom line is that my wife and I have been full-timers for >6 years and have used wifi's at CGs, airports and stores and have never been concerned about security because of the existence of SSL.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
PLEASE....
LET's GET BACK TO MY QUESTION....

I have been looking at the WIFIRanger AC & the Wave Rouge Pro. Now I see there is a Alfa WiFi Camp Pro.

My main concern is to have the best chance of accessing a WIFI signal.

Yes, I know that the WIFI is only as good as the source - LOL.

I know the Wave Rouge Pro has been very popular in the boating world & with great praise as does the WIFIRanger has good reviews in the RV world.

I am leaning towards the Wave Rouge Pro antenna but open to hear what6 you have to say....

From A price point...
WifiRanger is up there
The Rouge Pro is just a bit less
& the Alfa WiFi Camp Pro is a good bit less but I know nothing about it.

Any input would be great
Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

To avoid having my post violate RV2 rules, I will only make a statement about the WiFiRanger EliteAC. The Ranger is a dual band (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz) system that is compatible with the latest wifi standard 802.11ac. You should consult the Rogue Wave website to determine what features its products have.

You can PM me with any specific questions about WiFiRanger that you may have.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
a dual band (2.4GHz and 5.8GHz) system that is compatible with the latest wifi standard 802.11ac. (AKA docj)
What is the importance of the 5.8 in your opinion. Right now, it looks like it is used very little if at all in an RV setting.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

Stuart, while it may be a bit more expensive the WiFi Ranger GoAC with the EliteAC would be my suggestion. Support is phenomenal. Screens from the WiFI Ranger are easy to understand. There is built in security, if turned on, with the latest product. And mounting the EliteAC on the E-Riggers mast would be a great setup, especially if they can help you with making it auto stow when the key goes to on.

I've had a WiFi Ranger setup for about 5 years. Recently upgraded to the new AC equipment. Having 5ghz, both externally, but more importantly for the inside connections is current state of the art.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
What is the importance of the 5.8 in your opinion. Right now, it looks like it is used very little if at all in an RV setting.
At present the 5.8GHz isn't all that important in communicating with wifi access points but on my internal network most of my devices are now compatible with 5.8GHz so using that band reduces the conflicts on the 2.4GHz wifi band.

Tags
antenna