RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Amazon proposes satellite internet system

Looks like we're going to have a "battle of the billionaires" to see who can be the first to launch thousands of satellites to create a world-wide internet system. Get your tickets now to watch Bezos vs Musk in a no holds barred smackdown event! https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amaz...peed-internet/

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #2

are there enough orbital slots for the thousands of sats that will be needed???

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
are there enough orbital slots for the thousands of sats that will be needed???

Probably going to be LEO sats like GPS.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #4

agree but i would think there would be even fewer LEO slots.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Probably going to be LEO sats like GPS.
Correct. 3,236 satellites total. Can't seem to find any orbital details yet, but I suspect they'll use numerous angles of inclination, with each of those having a constellation of satellites. Total WAG here, but my guess is 36 constellations, each constellation with 90 satellites (4 separation between satellites).

Probably not the exact numbers as I'm sure some of those 3,236 are going to be spares/backups within each constellation, but to be able to provide the amount of bandwidth required to provide internet service, they're going to need a LOT of satellites, and geometrically speaking that's roughly what my numbers come up with.

Any way you look at it, the orbital mechanics that will be required to maintain 3,236 satellites in LEO is mind-boggling!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I think SpaceX is taking a free ride on the Sats they're launching for paying customers. And that they have a device that can place 36 mini-sats in one launch.

SpaceX has a few Sat in orbit right now doing testing and system benchmarking.

Haven't we been through this twice now with Iridium? I was an early investor in Iridium. I figured with Bill Gates and Craig McCaw (Cellular One) how could it fail? They went bankrupt and the management team bought the assets and satellites for pennies on the dollar. Us investors got nothing, nada, bupkis. The now-private company's doing better than ever and just launched 75 brand new Satellites.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #7

As long as that competition get us good service and a lower price I'm all for it.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Haven't we been through this twice now with Iridium? I was an early investor in Iridium. I figured with Bill Gates and Craig McCaw (Cellular One) how could it fail?
You may have been an Iridium investor, I was a user! I had a pager (couldn't afford a phone). It worked "some of the time" when carefully placed in a window! Almost totally useless!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
they can't solve on issue and that's the 25 sec round-trip lag to space and back, more if your info is sent laterally around the "SkyNet".

Bound to happen but physics and the speed of light have the final say on just how much it can doo
Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You may have been an Iridium investor, I was a user! I had a pager (couldn't afford a phone). It worked "some of the time" when carefully placed in a window! Almost totally useless!
oh geeze i forgot about Iridium...didn't they have to stop because they ran out if funds?

I have a fun novel by Ben Bova titled The Sam Gunn Collection or something close. I have the Audible version. It's all geared toward exactly what's happening now, Bezos completes the plot elements for us. But the book is a collection of short stories with a character names Sam Gunn, former and far rehabilitated astronaut with all manner of vices, need to flaunt authority and chase women.

I really recommend that Audible unabridged version.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklundin View Post
they can't solve on issue and that's the 25 sec round-trip lag to space and back, more if your info is sent laterally around the "SkyNet".

Bound to happen but physics and the speed of light have the final say on just how much it can doo
are you sure your math is right. google tells me that 12.5-light seconds travels ~2.3 million miles. it takes about 1.2 seconds for a radio signal to reach the moon. something else causing the lag??
Old 04-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #12
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brecklundin View Post
With all due respect, the ping time for today's internet satellites is slightly less than one second and that's with satellites in orbit at >22,000 miles above the earth. With low earth orbit satellites speed of light issues will be negligible.

FWIW if you want to look at it like a physicist would you can roughly assume that light travels one foot per nanosecond (one billionth of a second). A satellite in orbit at 100 miles above the earth is ~528,000 feet above the planet. Therefore, the time it takes a radio wave to reach such a satellite would be :

(528,000 feet) x (one billionth of a second/foot) = (5.28 x 10^5 ) x (10^-9) seconds

= 5.28 x 10^-4 seconds or roughly ~.0005 second

So the round trip (earth to satellite to earth) round trip time would be roughly twice this or one one-thousandth of a second. Not enough of a delay to be noticeable.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
With low earth orbit satellites speed of light issues will be negligible.
There was an attempt to do something similar to this 20 years ago with the Iridium satellites placed in 500 mile orbits. It was just to expensive and the technology just wasn't there, YET..

I can easily see today's technology could now allow this to happen.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #14

Bumper satellites anyone?

Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, satellite