Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #1

Any Network Gurus around?

I'm trying to develop a network that is to be built into my RV.

The basic setup is to have a wireless router inside of the coach that feeds all of my devices. Two separate streams are intended to feed the router. (Cellular Data and Wi-Fi). The idea is to have a system that allows all of my devices to be on a monolithic network while allowing control (via a single point of operation ie. a button or a switch or a mouse click) over which Internet stream feeds the network.

A block diagram will be attached in a second post. This should help illustrate what I'm thinking.
NerdyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

This should work. Lol.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402359668.694487.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	619.8 KB
ID:	64984

Wow, did this really work?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

WHoly Programmers!!!! Whomever wrote this system is amazing.

That image was uploaded purely thru the iPhone forum app!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What you want is a Pepwave Surf SOHO. The router can accept network signals from USB 4G cellular modems, WIFI as WAN, or a wired input from a network. All of this sits behind a private wired, wireless, or both network.

My primary internet source is my 4G modem with a failover to campground WiFi. It's seamless to devices on my network and it is as secure as you want it to be.

Other manufacturers of these types of systems are Cradlepoint and WiFi Ranger.

Have fun!
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #6

Sweet. Thanks LuvLabs. I'll have to do my homework on your suggestion, but it sounds promising.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Or a Cradlepoint MBR95 (or MBR1200). Does about the same as the Pepwave. Has a USB port to put the cell modem in.

You do have to go into the admin web pages if you want to manually switch the connection. Otherwise you can set a failover order and have it switch on it's own. I have ours set to failover from cable modem (WAN ethernet jack) to cell modem (Sprint LTE) to park Wifi.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I have ours set to failover from cable modem (WAN ethernet jack) to cell modem (Sprint LTE) to park Wifi.

Do you look for CGs that have comcast as the cable provider? Or is this order used to encompass home use as well?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
Do you look for CGs that have comcast as the cable provider? Or is this order used to encompass home use as well?
When possible, for long term stays, we look for locations that have cable internet access available. Our (owned) summer lot at Hearthside Grove has Charter service. We've also wintered at RV resorts in FL and TX that had Comcast or TW service available.

There's nothing special about Comcast in this regard.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:57 AM   #10

As FlyingD said products like the Cradlepoint have the ability to have rules defined that will failover from one infrastructure to the next. Rules allow the router to manage connectivity in close to a seamless way
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The WiFi Ranger RVPack is a one stop shop for that.

There is a Blog article here about the RVPack, explaining how it accomplishes everything you outlined.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

From the little bit of reading that I did on the WiFi Ranger RVPack, it seems that it is more suited towards having the campground wifi as your primary source of feed.

I don't plan on this being the case for me. I don't plan to use CG wifi at all. In my case, wifi is a backup for when I need to do high data count things (download a movie to watch later as an example). In those cases, I intent to park in a hotel or ff restaurant parking lot and use their network. Otherwise, for my average internet needs I will use a cellular data connection.

Thank you though. The RVPack certainly seems like an interesting bit of kit. It just isn't optimized in the places where I need the most performance.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNomad View Post
From the little bit of reading that I did on the WiFi Ranger RVPack, it seems that it is more suited towards having the campground wifi as your primary source of feed.

I don't plan on this being the case for me. I don't plan to use CG wifi at all. In my case, wifi is a backup for when I need to do high data count things (download a movie to watch later as an example). In those cases, I intent to park in a hotel or ff restaurant parking lot and use their network. Otherwise, for my average internet needs I will use a cellular data connection.

Thank you though. The RVPack certainly seems like an interesting bit of kit. It just isn't optimized in the places where I need the most performance.
HHhhhmmm.. Not sure what other optimization you would be looking for on the networking side. The indoor router of the RVPack will handle any cellular data connection whether it is a wired internet connection, as well as many USB Air Cards, the outside router picks up any MiFi or phone generated hotspot or other WiFi sources, while still providing one secure network for all your devices to remain logged into from one place.

You can't hardly get much more convenient networking in the RV, than the WiFi Ranger RVPack.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

I have the wifi ranger and am happy with it. It handles both wifi and cellular for me.
Windigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote